Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 08:42:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 379 times)
robert4574

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 25, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »

I've been broken up with my dexBPDgf for about a month and NC for over a week. I'm finding it extremely difficult not to make rash decisions.  Fortunately, I haven't tried to make contact yet. I can't stand work at the moment and I used to love it, zero focus right now. Yesterday, I thought about quitting, which is just absurd. That was a definite sign that I need a break from this place to something more familiar, something that doesn't remind me of my dexBPDgf. I thought about visiting my family back east, but honestly they are kinda crazy too.

I've reconnected with an old ex of mine (def non-BPD) that is a sweetheart a couple days ago. The only reason we ever broke up was because I was moving back to the states and she was still in school overseas. I mentioned something about taking a vacation and maybe going to see her. I know this a bit much in this situation, but it might just be what I need to shake these negative feelings. In my mind, some validation would probably go along way to help me get over my dexBPDgf. Let me know what you think. Is this to rash?

I honestly wish I could just take some time and hang out locally, but the problem is that I still live in the same apartment we lived in for 2 years. And of course because she mirrored me in every way we shared all the same interests--music, gym, tv shows, movies, food. You name it.

-Robert
woodsposse

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »

Hey. :-)

it is totally normal what you are going through. I know I did the same thing after my split. It was rough. My focus was totally off.  I didn't care about anything. And it was very hard for me not to reach out to her.

seeking validation is very normal as well as trying to connect or reconnect with someone you knew is natural. Is it advisable?  Maybe maybe not.

if it is to jump back in the dating pool... . maybe not. But again it is quite normal. We all need connection as well as validation. I did the same thing and even jumped into another r/s which helped me make my transition. But it didn't turn out like I thought. I probably should have waited until I was more emotionally ready... . but, again,it is normal and natural.

Whatever you do, just remember you are not alone and your focus should be on your wellness. Posting here for support is awesome... . we are all here to support each other. And what a great group to be part of.
robert4574

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »

Hey. :-)

it is totally normal what you are going through. I know I did the same thing after my split. It was rough. My focus was totally off.  I didn't care about anything. And it was very hard for me not to reach out to her.

seeking validation is very normal as well as trying to connect or reconnect with someone you knew is natural. Is it advisable?  Maybe maybe not.

if it is to jump back in the dating pool... . maybe not. But again it is quite normal. We all need connection as well as validation. I did the same thing and even jumped into another r/s which helped me make my transition. But it didn't turn out like I thought. I probably should have waited until I was more emotionally ready... . but, again,it is normal and natural.

Whatever you do, just remember you are not alone and your focus should be on your wellness. Posting here for support is awesome... . we are all here to support each other. And what a great group to be part of.

Thanks woodsposse. I'm definitely not looking to jump into the dating pool, but the girl was always a good friend before and after our relationship. She is actually the only "normal" girlfriend I've ever had. Well, my idea of normal. She actually showed compassion that didn't just serve her own interests. Never cheated. Never caught her lying. Plus this is a good excuse to get overseas and do some traveling. Who knows what can happen, but I feel like there is nowhere to go but up.

Inside

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »

Hi Robert, I think you’re onto something with your former gf…  I had a ‘normal woman’ I’d spend time with between shove-offs with my uBPDxgf, I even referred to her as ‘my template for normal.’  She was interested in me, but we’d never been friends so were still getting to know each other.  It did hurt her when I returned, twice, to the BPDx, so I leave them both alone now... .

If you want/ plan to stay over your BPx, I see no problem spending time with your prior gf, she sounds wonderful.  :)o let her know what you’ve been through though …if not every detail.  And I’d ... avoid sex for a bit, too…  You want to know that your next move is coming from logic and not lust.  I’ve since spent some time with a long-time friend, and as she knows what I’ve experienced, it’s been a great way to share some healthy thoughts, and to recover.  And – it amazed me how quickly spending time with her shifted my focus from the BPDx…

You’re definitely in the thick if it right now … but it eases.  One thing that helped me was re-connecting with anything that had come ‘before her.’  Like music, friends, hobbies, even catching up with family members (I like).  Be up front with folks and I suspect they’ll give you the space you need, as well as some solid companionship.  And, as woodsposse pointed out, you’re always welcome around here Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

woodsposse

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »

I can totally understand that.

Any relationship breakup can be difficult. Coming out of a BPD one can be brutal. I know I've done two myself over the last 25 years. I'll never knowingly do that again. Not that I knew what I was involved with in the first place, but now that I know I'm very much more cautious.

after coming here and gaining the understanding of what I was dealing with it became more important for me to focus on me and why I would allow myself to be in any relationship which didn't serve my best interest.

of course it lead me down a path to my FOO. I don't blame my childhood issues on my adult actions, but I understand it better now.

there will still be up days and down days. Great days and disappoints. Bit at the end of the day... . the SOs in my life arenthere because I allow it. Not because of fear or obligation or guilt. If it doesn't serve my well being then it mist change.

I say go enjoy yourself. Catch up. Get validated. Have a restorative experience.

just try not to "use" the other person. That wouldn't be cool. :-)
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

Hey Robert,

I totally empathize with what you wrote - needing to get away, anything to distract.  I remember hating my job and everything too.

So, get away... . make a plan.  Whether to see her or someone else - there is a lot of therapeutic relief from a new space with a "safe" friend.  Something new definitely will help.

Time, it will get better with time - but right now, take that vacation!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Peace,

SB

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest