Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 06:15:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do they ever change  (Read 370 times)
braveheart1975

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 22, 2017, 06:53:55 AM »

Do they ever change? My ex already started with the same behaviour with my replacement. She is in therapy and I would like to know, if she will get better, will she started act normally or is this impossible?
And I also don't understand her behaviour. 14 days ago she accused me of stalking her, now she is saying she doesn't want to loose me and she is sending me SMS almost daily with kisses and hearts. I really don't understand.

BH
En1gma

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:10:59 AM »

Do they ever change? My ex already started with the same behaviour with my replacement. She is in therapy and I would like to know, if she will get better, will she started act normally or is this impossible?
And I also don't understand her behaviour. 14 days ago she accused me of stalking her, now she is saying she doesn't want to loose me and she is sending me SMS almost daily with kisses and hearts. I really don't understand.

BH

For 99.9% of people with BPD, no they don’t change. It’s a continuous loop of behavior that’s hard wired into their brain.
Sadly

Relationship status: Very Single

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »

I guess it depends on the severity, my ex will be a definite no. I think you need to be careful, to me this smacks of lining you up for a recycle once she found your replacement couldn't give her the impossible either. No one will be able to, you know that don't you? So sorry. 

Never let someone be your priority whilst you remain their option
braveheart1975

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »

I guess it depends on the severity, my ex will be a definite no. I think you need to be careful, to me this smacks of lining you up for a recycle once she found your replacement couldn't give her the impossible either. No one will be able to, you know that don't you? So sorry. 

Yeah, I know it is impossible to satisfy her needs. At first, I was blaming myself if I could maybe do things better, differently. Now, that she is already repeating her behavior, I know she is sick. And that helps me getting over her. I could never imagine having child with her.
The hardest thing for me was hot and cold behavior and constantly changing her mind about almost everything. I couldn't rely on her.

BH.
Sadly

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »

I feel you BH, it's heartbreaking isn't it? I would have given a limb in exchange for a cure, I hate to think of his hurting empty soul but eventually it came down to a choice his life or mine and I had to choose mine. I wrote a poem a few blocks down, it kind of resonates with many. Be strong my friend, it's so easy to get pulled back in 

braveheart1975

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »

I feel you BH, it's heartbreaking isn't it? I would have given a limb in exchange for a cure, I hate to think of his hurting empty soul but eventually it came down to a choice his life or mine and I had to choose mine. I wrote a poem a few blocks down, it kind of resonates with many. Be strong my friend, it's so easy to get pulled back in 

The pain at the beginning was almost unbearable, especially when I found out she moved on after 3 weeks. But as you know, I had to save myself. Life with her was draining my energy.
Your poem is very beautiful.
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »

Sounds like you have Push/Pull going on, here is a link to more... .

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=161524.00

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Sadly

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:46:09 PM »

Thank you BH, it's also very sad, I am very sad and so are you right now but you know what, we have a choice, they don't! I think I will always love my ex as maybe you will love yours but I am trying very hard to make him an amazing, heartbreaking, eye opening experience that was meant to be in my life but belongs in my past, hopefully we can do that 

itgetsbetter94

Relationship status: Single

This too shall pass.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »

They can slightly modify their behavior through years of extensive therapy, that's what my psychiatrist said.

♡ I'm wearing my heart like a crown ♡
These violent delights have violent ends.
hope2727

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »

My psychologist put it this way for me. "Yes they can change but... .

1) will they ?

2) can they sustain it?

Likely no on both counts."

They have to want to change. What they are doing has worked for them so far. They may also have actual neurological variances that make change extremely difficult.

Change over the long term is hard. Really hard! Try flossing daily, or following a diet for a long time or walking 30 minutes a day or slowing down while you drive or any other number of small changes over the long haul. Its tough. Let alone changing how you see the whole world and everything that happens in it forever.
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 06:56:10 AM »

Hi braveheart1975

BPD, like pretty much all illnesses, exists on a spectrum.    If you think about,... .well lets use arthritis,  some people have a mild case,   some people have a more serious level of disability,    stress and certain conditions will make the illness worse,   dedicated self care and effort will make the illness 'better'.    All and all the person will always be dealing with the ramifications of arthritis in some way, shape or form.

The thing with BPD is that it's embedded in the personality.    Think about how hard it is to change any aspect of personality.     I'm an introvert.    I can be social and engaging and comfortable in large public gatherings.   It's never going to be the easiest thing for me.   It's not so much as I change that part of my personality as I learn to work with it.

The hardest thing for me was hot and cold behavior and constantly changing her mind about almost everything. I couldn't rely on her.

There was a book that was extremely helpful to me when I was with my Ex.   It's by Margalis Fjelstad's and it's called: Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist.     It was the single most helpful book I read on the topic.  I ended up highlighting about 50% of it.

In the book she talks about the instability of two personality disorders  BPD and NPD.     She lists them as:
Excerpt
  • Emotional Instability- Sudden emotional outbursts of rage and despair that seem random
  • Thought Instability- All-or-nothing thinking with intense belief in their own perceptions despite facts to the contrary
  • Behavioral Instability- Create crises and chaos continuously
  • Instability of a Sense of Self - Often change their persons, opinions or beliefs, depending on who they are with
  • Relationship Instability - Instantly fall in love or instantly end a relationship with no logical explanation

While my ex partner (who was in treatment) didn't met the criteria from the DSM - 5 any longer and had a changed a great deal she still struggled with the list above.

Does that make sense?   Help at all?    Does this change how you view what happened in your relationship?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
braveheart1975

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »

Thank you. All I must do now is to keep no contact. She tries to contact me every day.
Inside

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »

Thank you. All I must do now is to keep no contact. She tries to contact me every day.

Yes, no contact.  

... kinda checking in around here… it’s now been 4 years since I permanently left my BPD-X.  Looking back, what a nightmare    The longer you stay removed the clearer it will become that this is the correct decision.  

And no, they cannot ‘fix’ the portion of their brain lacking the ability to maintain a relationship.  And, as mentioned above, I’d have likely also given a limb to have that not be so…  What does happen is they hone their skills at deception, projection and manipulation.

If you’ve escaped, dodging marriage - and especially children with a BPD - you’ve acquired valuable insight into a spectrum (cluster B) of disorders that remain the bane of humanity…  That may seem a little too ‘out there’ right now, but stay strong, and at least realize you’ll now recognize such behavior - and never allow it to hurt you again  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest