Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 03:41:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At wit's end (long) need perspective and advice  (Read 381 times)
Chosen

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 28, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »

This is the first time I'm on this board.  I've wanted the marriage to work out and the last thing I want is for it to fall apart, but I don't know if it's gone beyond that point anymore.

Background: Married 5+ years, soon after marriage discovered H has BPD traits, found this board.  Learnt tools and after a very tough beginning, things got better.  Now have a toddler and recently found out I'm pregnant (unplanned).  This bout of dysregulation has been going on for 2 weeks.  He talks a lot about divorce because I "will never change", despite him giving up everything for me, I always want more, I let the whole family down, causing everybody pain.  We're Christians and I truly believe marriage is for life.  I deeply want to fight for the marriage and yet I'm also conflicted, because even though I am ready (and am doing) taking responsibility for my failures and my actions, according to him everything that went wrong in the marriage was because of me, I have completely failed as a wife.  And sometimes I think, if I can never change his view of me, then is it better for him and for my daughter that I give up on the relationship so he can finally be "free" from me, will he resent me less in that way?

The dysregulation these 2 weeks are basically about the whole of our marriage and the whole of ME.  He talks a lot about:
- how he gives up everything to love me (I agree with that, he does give his all for the family),
- I have betrayed him and cheated on him (I have NOT cheated, but I have talked about our marriage and about him to sisters in church, and he considers this cheating.  I don't agree, but I would validate the feelings that he feels betrayed.  To my defense- he has strong BPD traits and I needed a way out and some "normal" perspective sometimes!),
- I have messed up everything he had wanted to do (he already "has long given up hope that I would be able to help him as a wife, but why do I need to wreck everything he tries to do", etc.

I would apologise for the things I have done wrong in the past, he would say he forgives me (but still say that he has no hope for me ever being an acceptable wife, nothing I do will ever help him, etc), then I would do something "wrong" and it would start all over again, he would say all of the above and it would prove the point that I am seeking to wreck his life, that's in my instinct when all he ever does is to love me.  Today it's because I turned the switch of the toilet and it leaked (because it's broken to begin with, therefore unstable).  To my defense, I was turning the switch when he said "don't do it", then I immediately turned it back off but the toilet has already started leaking.  This started one hour of door-banging and saying "you see, this marriage just will not work" and the kid seeing me crying and being concerned (kid is only 1.5 but of course kids and tell).  Then him telling kid that "this kind of family is what you get when you have a mum like this", then proceeded to blame me for making him look bad in from of his kid.  This makes me so much sadder.  I feel like I have done something terrible to my kid and this is also what makes me contemplate if divorce really is the only way to go, even if I deeply don't want it and don't think I will survive it.  I wonder, if I leave, then at least H and kid's life will have some peace?  I can't even bear to think about it, but I just don't want to ruin anybody's life anymore, you know?

I know this unplanned pregnancy has taken its toll on both of us.  I absolutely freaked out when I tested positive.  He was very stressed too as he already full-time taking care of current one (quit his high-paying job to do that, so yes he's a very family-oriented person and gives his all to his family, you cannot fault him for that); he expressed it's impossible to take care of two (financially we can but it's the ability!).  I understand his frustration and at this point I agree.  But we'll cross the bridge when we come to it.  I don't know if his dysregulation is caused by this- I'm sure to some extent it is- but then the pregnancy isn't going to go away, and now our marriage is on the brink of breaking!  

I am feeling quite depressed lately.  That I have let everybody down, particularly my kid, and I often think of the worst scenario- what if kid has to grow up in a broken family?  It's all my fault.  Sometimes I even think that it's better if I'm dead before my kid has a permanent memory of me, so it won't affect them so much.  I'm not actually suicidal, no worries, just have this "wish I'm dead" feeling, like I wish that some divine action would kill me off.  

I love my H and I know he loves me, but is it a dead end because I make him so unhappy?  I know there are many things I didn't cause, but for those that I have a part to play, they seem to make him feel so unfulfilled in his life & marriage.  If I truly love him, should I leave him?  Trust me, this is the last thing I want to do, I don't think if this happens I will ever recover from it, but can somebody give me real perspective as to how far the tools will work?  I know they work to a certain extent... .do they work for a relationship which is almost ending?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »

HI Chosen,

I've been where you are before. Let me tell you: It's not you that makes him unhappy, no matter what he says. He is unhappy with himself and targets you.

How did your H find out that you shared info about him with ladies from church?

When he begins to go on about everything he does for the family, how do you respond?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 07:14:38 AM »

Hi Chosen,

Maybe I can help provide a different perspective.

He talks a lot about divorce because I "will never change", despite him giving up everything for me, I always want more, I let the whole family down, causing everybody pain.  

Perhaps you know this to be projection?   projection is difficult to deal with. painful even.   the rule of thumb advice for projection it to side step it.    to not allow someone to put their negative feelings on to you.    We always say here you validate the valid and invalidate the invalid.    You don't invalidate the valid or validate the invalid.    See the wee cute pattern there?    

I used to get sucked into projection conversations all the time thinking I could find a validation target and 'help'.    looking back with 20/20 hindsight,  I wish I had done the curtesy 5 minutes of "hmmm, you've mentioned that a lot lately,  let me know what you finally decide, I am going to the grocery store for milk and cookies."

Yup, that's invalidating but you want to carefully, now that you have experienced skills,   and gently invalidate the invalid.

What do you think?
We're Christians and I truly believe marriage is for life.  I deeply want to fight for the marriage and yet I'm also conflicted, because even though I am ready (and am doing) taking responsibility for my failures and my actions,

I don't belong to your faith tradition.   So I always hesitate to make comments on how faith shapes our values and our responses.  I do belong to another faith tradition which did play a huge role in my relationship and how I acted through out.    

In my faith tradition we have a concept that any 'rule' can be broken if it involves saving a life.   The idea would work like this,   if I see a car with people burning on the street,  and know my neighbor has an ax in his locked garage I can break the door into the garage to steal the ax to break the car windows.   Basically
that the higher good deed, (saving a life) outweighs the lesser bad deed (stealing the ax).

I don't mean to compare religions or debate theology,  I think maybe that belongs in our spiritual communities.   I did mean to point out, that most faith traditions have somewhere embedded in them,  the idea of non binary constructs.    Meaning,  it not a YES/NO,  RIGHT/WRONG, EITHER/OR  situation but shades of nuance and understanding.

I have messed up everything he had wanted to do (he already "has long given up hope that I would be able to help him as a wife, but why do I need to wreck everything he tries to do", etc.

I would nudge you to not listen to stuff that sounds like this.    It's not doing you any good to be exposed to this type of verbiage.   I would suggest a small but firm boundary.  After the five minute curtesy listen,   Husband I don't feel that having this conversation this way is good for us, me, or the new baby, maybe we can talk about it later with the pastor, the therapist... .etc etc.   whatever works for you in your situation.

He is not going to willing leave these types of conversations,   he is getting something out of them.   A place to dump his negative emotions.    Remember, when in a dysregulation they are not talking/arguing to resolve an issue but to keep you engaged in their chaos.  

Find a way to disengage.  Allow him to either self soothe or not.

I am feeling quite depressed lately.  That I have let everybody down, particularly my kid, and I often think of the worst scenario- what if kid has to grow up in a broken family?  It's all my fault.

It's absolutely not.   Chosen, it is not your fault.   You are absolutely doing the best you can with a difficult situation.   You are not in charge of the results, only the effort you put in.   You've put in a huge effort.   Give yourself credit.   Reading your post, I can see the fair, even handed, compassionate, loyal person you are.   Skip says, "none of us pitch a perfect game."   True.   I pitched a pretty good game.   I think you are too.

My mother was so mentally unstable that at a young age my grandparents came and got me and removed me from the home.   Something unheard of back then in my community.    I thank G-d nearly every day that they did.  I grew up mostly sane and mostly normal because some one made a courageous decision in the face of stiff opposition.   No matter what I know someone cared enough to try and do the best thing for me.  To take care of me.

Sometimes I even think that it's better if I'm dead before my kid has a permanent memory of me, so it won't affect them so much.  I'm not actually suicidal, no worries, just have this "wish I'm dead" feeling, like I wish that some divine action would kill me off.  

Chosen, thank you for having the guts to write that.   It's a very brave thing to do.   I've been there too.   It's a dark place to be.   What I find is that thoughts like that feed themselves like putting gas on a fire.

I would suggest maybe it's time for a lot of heavy duty self care.   A lot of relaxing.   A lot of putting Chosen and the kid first.   Time in the park.   It's perfectly normal to buckle under the stress you've been experiencing.    And your thinking is telling you that.   Our bodies, our psyche, our ego's can only take so much and then it's time to recharge our batteries.    

I love my H and I know he loves me, but is it a dead end because I make him so unhappy?  

You can't make someone who is unhappy with themselves, happy.   It's not possible.  

Will you come back and let us know how you are doing today?    I would really like to talk more with you.  

Whatever direction you go in,  hopefully you can reach the decision from your wise mind.  Not born out of despair or exhaustion.    Keep talking with us.   It will help your thoughts to become clearer.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Chosen

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »

Update: thank goodness that on the day after I wrote the post, H basically ignored me for the whole day (when I went back home he was slamming doors and stuff but he made it clear he didn't want to talk or see me, which works out great for me), then went to bed early.  It is much preferable than him going on and on because that means his mind doesn't rest, he gets progressively more agitated.  After he had some rest, he was visibly calmer.  And he told me he doesn't want a divorce.  I simply said "I don't want a divorce" as well. 

I know that a lot of what he says is projection, it's his feelings talking, but it is very difficult not to get sucked in and blaming myself.  I know "wise mind" and etc etc, but when you're caught in the midst of things, and when the attack is very personal and has been going on for 2 weeks, it's impossible to stay wise!

At least things are much calmer now, so I have a chance to brush up on my tools and see how far they work... .

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:25:50 AM »

Hi Chosen,

I am glad to hear that things have settled down a little.   that had to be a relief.

I know that a lot of what he says is projection, it's his feelings talking, but it is very difficult not to get sucked in and blaming myself.  I know "wise mind" and etc etc, but when you're caught in the midst of things, and when the attack is very personal and has been going on for 2 weeks, it's impossible to stay wise!

Absolutely.   You are right,  when a dysregulation has been going on for a long time it's hard to not get worn down by it.    That's why it's always suggested to disengage so the pwBPD can self soothe,

Just wondering, now that you have weathered this storm,   do you have any idea's on what you may or may not do for the next storm that rolls through?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Chosen

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:01 PM »

I guess the first step is to be re-read and re-read the Lessons, and practice practice practice!  And also to be mindful.  I guess I was so caught off-guard this time because things have been going fine (I mean, certainly little ups and downs but nothing as turbulent as before) for a long time, and also because of my own emotions which stemmed from the pregnancy.  I really have to remember to take care of myself first, and make sure I'm at a stable place emotionally before trying to "pick fights" with him- better still, don't pick fights.

Also, don't JADE but validate... .if I can remember that, then things are never as bad... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest