Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 12:30:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling  (Read 354 times)
NorthernGirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: April 19, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »

I'm struggling so this post will be a bit of a whine  Smiling (click to insert in post) I am posting because I know some of you will understand and I don't feel I can talk about this with friends & family. And maybe some of you can give me a push to change my attitude.

DH and his ex (UBPD) have joint guardianship of SS18, who has development delays. He is living 50/50 between parents. A few days ago, DH's ex sent an email saying she and her BF are going to Europe in June so we need to take SS18 an extra week. As usual she didn't ask DH, she just sent and FYI. DH usually agrees to any additional time with SS18. We never ask his ex to take SS18 on DH's scheduled time.

The problem is that I'm having major surgery in June. I'm nervous about the surgery because there's a good chance the recovery will be slow and difficult. I have been told it will take me several months to get back on track. I would love to have time to recuperate in peace and quiet. If SS18 is at our house for most of June, this will be difficult.

I love SS18 and he has many wonderful qualities. He is also highly anxious and his delays mean he acts more like a 12/13 year old. This past year, he has taken to eavesdropping on conversations (sometimes immediately calling his mom to report what he hears) and to lying. He uses all the money he makes from work to buy junk food and coffee -- both of which cause him to get wound up, resulting in him bouncing around the house, yelling, being silly and then when the sugar and caffeine wear off, he crashes and is grumpy and tired. These emotions come through in lots of noise and conflict in our home. He also craves attention and [url=https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-validation]validation[/b][/url], so often follows me around the house, talking outside the room I'm in if the door is closed. If he can't see me, he will ask DH "where is NorthernGirl, what is she doing, is she mad at me?" DH says that comes from his mom spending hours in the bedroom when she is depressed.

When DH told me about the email from his ex, I asked him what he was going to say. I let him know that I would prefer not to have SS18 around for most of the month after my surgery. His reply was "I hate being in the middle." He said if he said no, then his ex would have to send SS18 500 miles away to her parents as she has no other back-up. SS18 would miss school and be bored (his grandparents do very little and have no expectation for him to do anything.) So DH sent his ex an email saying we would take him the extra time.

I am very sad. I feel as though DH made the decision best for SS18 and best for his ex. I know I could have made a bigger deal of this and told him that SS18 couldn't stay an extra week. But I didn't because I know DH wouldn't have understood. So now I have to live with the fact I didn't push him to say no. I will probably head to our little cabin by myself once I am able to travel after the surgery. DH says "don't worry I will make sure SS18 is quiet and helpful." I don't believe it, mostly because DH struggles to apply any consequences with SS18 and DH lets guilt guide his decisions when it comes to his boys. 

As I'm writing this whine, I realize I need to look at more positives. Maybe SS18 will do better than I'm giving him credit for. With his mom out of the country, he won't be inclined to eavesdrop to report to her, and he will have less reason to lie (he is often lying to cover up for her.) And maybe when DH understands how serious the surgery is (I think he believes it will just slow me down for a few days), he will make sure that SS18 lets me recuperate in peace. Fingers crossed.

[/url]
mamachelle

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »

Hey NorthernGirl,

I'm sorry you are having such an intense surgery.

I have had similar problems with my DH thinking i can handle more than any human should have to.   I now hire a sitter even while I'm in the house if needed. This December DH had 2 weeks out of town. He just assumed his mom and sister would help. I knew better... .   (another rant for another day) ... .   so I hired a sitter to come between 4-10 and I enjoyed it so much, I now have her come once a week when he works late.

He complained some about the money... .   but I point out no one, not him, not his ex, not his mom or sis, ever watched six kids alone for two weeks!

Can you hire a sitter to keep a buffer between you and DSS? He or She could be your helper, but really be there to keep him busy.  I'm actually doing this today... . my SS 8 and 10 are kind of wild, and DH has to work a conference and S2 is sick--- so I am having a sitter come to occupy SS8 and 10.

Hope this helps a bit.

mamachelle

NorthernGirl

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »

Thanks for your response Mamachelle. SS18 gets a little funding meant to pay for an aide to help him increase his social interaction, learn some "street smart" safety things, etc. But so far DH hasn't found anyone as an aide -- but I'm not sure how hard he has looked lately. SS18 has resisted the idea and DH's ex says she wants SS18 to have a young male aide, basically wants to pay for a friend which is not the point of the funding. And everyone DH has found so far is female so he knows he will have to battle his ex to move this forward. I may push DH on getting this moving though, so thanks for the idea.

SS18 has no friends other than the kids at school, but he never sees these kids outside of school despite us constantly suggesting this, getting his T to work with him on the idea, etc. He is very social but usually is more comfortable with adults. His mom has told him for years that kids are mean (and no doubt he's been teased like any other kid so he has seen this.) We remind him that his cousins and friends at school aren't mean, and so he knows that but it is hard for him to battle his mom's fears. SS18 loves hanging out with his cousins, so maybe once school is done we can look into sending him to one of our relatives.

So thanks, I will look into those things.

[/url]
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »

Oh NG, that's tough.

Can you hole up in a room - let SS18 ahead of time, so he knows you're not mad. Just recuperating?

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

NorthernGirl

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »

Hi DreamGirl. Yah, that is what we'll do. His mom has lost her job and based on what we're hearing she's likely depressed and spending lots of time in her bedroom. So we recognize that SS18 will be walking on eggshells there, and we'll be asking him to be quieter at our house and so it will feel similar I'm sure.

We talked about moving him downstairs because his bedroom is beside ours, but I may want to move to the spare room at some point if I'm not sleeping well as it has an old TV in it. So we'll see how it goes.

[/url]
mamachelle

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »

Hey NorthernGirl,

I would line up help in some way for those critical weeks post op. My SS10 and 15 have no friends outside of school either, are dependent on us more than age appropriate, and expect more from us than BPD Mom... .   but do love being with cousins. They also seem to forget normal social conventions and courtesy and rules pretty easily if they are agitated, bored, frustrated... .   I am glad you have some options.  Be creative and pro active for your own peace of mind.

Yours,

mamachelle
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest