Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 11, 2024, 01:45:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anyone feel their ex was powerless to the process?  (Read 461 times)
IntoTheWind

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« on: November 11, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »

I recall this feeling with my ex during the last month of the relationship where it almost felt as if she was powerless to splitting on me and knew it was happening.

We had a few "conversations " where she'd just express to herself that I'm a good person and she'd list good traits about me, it was peculiar, like she was convincing herself that I wasn't awful. I say "conversations" because these were often more like me being sat with her as she speaks to herself at me.

I remember looking into her eyes a few times and feeling like I could see despair in them as she hurt me. Like she didn't want to but couldn't help it. I remember thinking it was really strange and I felt like I could feel her pain. I knew she really felt like she hated me during that time but was also seemed to wish that she didn't but literally found it impossible to make the choice to just STOP. It was so emotionally damaging, and it's probably what I think about the most when I think back to our worst arguments.

Sometimes instead of expressing what she felt in words, she'd send as string of emojis in a text.

They'd look like this:

And this is exactly how it seemed to be when we argued too.

She could've just been manipulating me, but I thought this was a pretty effective method (even if it was immature) of expressing it.
Deep Blue

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 07:35:49 PM »

Hey IntoTheWind

Yes, I experienced it just as you described it. It was like clockwork. And I felt like the situation and perceived transgressions were so obviously absurd, and I feel like part of her also realized this. I would just look into her eyes and wonder, why can’t she just enjoy our time together and be at peace. It was very very sad and most of all incredibly damaging. The accusations and abusive language thrown at me without hesitation and with unfeeling eyes. It was traumatizing to see the person you love implode and attack you at the same time. Absolutely horrible. Unfortunately, only they can help themselves and hopefully one day seek out serious, and I mean serious in-depth therapy.

Deep Blue
Ad Meliora

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 10:25:26 PM »

I recall this feeling with my ex during the last month of the relationship where it almost felt as if she was powerless to splitting on me and knew it was happening.

She wasn't powerless, on the contrary, she was Power-Full.  She was so powerful, that she's got you still thinking about her 5 months later after the split.  You were right, she wanted to manipulate you to the point where you were powerless.  Powerless to stop whatever it is she wanted of you.  She's an adult, she could help herself.  She could get help herself if she really wanted to change or thought the problem had anything to do with her. 

They don't do good with abstractions or emotions, so the emojis make sense.  It's also why she didn't get your jokes.  I am guessing you're a funny guy, I know you haven't shared it here, but I get the impression you could crack a person up.  Your ex never laughed at your jokes right?  Mine either.  She would just say "Funny Guy" in a sarcastic tone, and I told some real knee-slappers with her around. Smiling (click to insert in post)

A lot of humor is a play on words, and this is lost on the fragmented BPD mind.  For example:

Knock Knock.
Who's there?
Dwayne.
Dwanye who?
Dwayne the bathtub I'm Dwowning

Knock Knock.
Who's there?
Centipede.
Centipede who?
Santa-peed on my Christmas Tree

You know, Homophones, always funny. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.” ― Mark Twain
LastTrainHome

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 01:15:14 AM »

Geez….

Not being able to laugh…..This is making my stomach drop just reading it.

If there is one aspect of myself that I’m quite secure in it is my sense of humor. I have always enjoyed making people laugh, especially by small, subtle, gestures, phrases, whatever.

My uBPDw has NEVER understood my sense of humor or laughed at comedic attempts for 8 years. The only times she has laughed regularly were  when I would sustain physical pain. This used to illicit a very maniacal laugh and even pointing at times.

Wow.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest