Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 05:38:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your creative action?  (Read 366 times)
Moselle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

Every day is a gift. Live it fully

« on: November 16, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »

As we detach, a creative outlet can give us a new sense of purpose.

One I am exploring is creative writing. I have started  a new business and to generate interest, I am writing articles to post onto social media. It's a topic I'm passionate about so it's easy to access my creative side.

What is your creative outlet?

sad but wiser

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »

I journaled rather frantically.  Not nice, neat journals.  No, I had about 5 that I would write in, put down, then find again.  I would write down insights or anger or memories as they surfaced.  It was an outlet.
valet
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:21:59 AM »

Great thread.

I'm working on a novel... .I suppose.

I also make electronic music. Hoping to have something ready by the middle of the next year (a record, I'm thinking), but waiting for some more ideas. Don't want to rush it.

CooperD

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »

Hi Moselle,

I'm finding that trying to be creative is helping to channel my energies away from dwelling on what the hell has happened with my BPD.

I play the guitar and so have been writing a few songs this week - and am going to focus in the new year on getting a new band together.
hope2727

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:51:24 AM »

I rebuilt an old motorcycle (semi successfully) bought a new motorcycle and learned to ride it. But WAY more importantly I am learning to play guitar. Its really challenging. I see an amazing teacher who never fails to turn my week around. I regularly want to quit but by the time I drive to my lesson I know I can't. Its cheaper than my therapist and i laugh so hard that my face hurts afterward.

Oh and I accidentally ended up in a masters degree program. But thats another story.
Moselle

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »

It's great to hear all your stories. It might be time to pull out my old guitar  Smiling (click to insert in post) Peer pressure

Frustratedbloke

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »

I started a website Smiling (click to insert in post) I figured rock bottom, which quite a few of us have tasted, was a pretty interesting place to start and learn about self-esteem, boundaries, building confidence and hitting goals. The great thing about this experience, if you really are a 'bright side of life' type of person, is that you get the chance to deconstruct your own personality, because they've already shone all kinds of lights on your flaws.

Now it's certainly not making any money, but every article is basically a private therapy session for myself. So it pays off in the long run!

I hope it's not too cheeky, but as a long time contributor I hoped it's OK, my site is www.alphareboot.com and I'd welcome any feedback!
lovenature

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 08:39:14 PM »

Mainly golf and snooker right now for me.

I also ride a motorcycle, kudos to you hope2727 on your working and riding on 2 wheels.
beggarsblanket

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »

Pretty much everything in my life played second fiddle to time spent with my BPD woman. When she left my life the first time, my creative action was to resurrect a research project that I had been working on before she came into my life. I spent two weeks of 12-hour days organizing a year's worth of research, from which I drafted a 12-page research plan. I am an amateur and doing this research for my own interest, but the syllabus was good enough to receive the approval of a professional in the field.

Unfortunately, my effort was derailed. My BPD woman came back into my life soon after. She lasted only two weeks in my life before I rejected her, but I haven't gotten back my mojo in the two months since she left for the second time.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 01:39:11 PM »

like others, it was music and writing, as it had been with previous breakups. my output stopped for a while when the pain of the breakup was gone, which was a useful way to track my detachment.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Skyglass

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 03:57:57 PM »

Lots of journaling/writing with pen and a notebook. Also have dabbled a little bit with artwork and pictures. What I've definitely found useful has been mini-projects around the house that I had put off for so long.
I_am_Stacey

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 12:55:37 AM »

I journaled rather frantically.  Not nice, neat journals.  No, I had about 5 that I would write in, put down, then find again.  I would write down insights or anger or memories as they surfaced.  It was an outlet.

Same for me. I brought my journal everywhere, kept it close to me in my bag as I was affraid someone would read it  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post), writing when I could.
I also started yogaclasses and would do some before bed to help me relax.

And I bought my first house, but that's a different story  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Moselle

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »

I spent most of the weekend drafting/creating a new plan for my life.

I highly recommend looking at this. It brings new meaning and purpose. Especially after we have spent so much time focused on a borderline.

I used Steven Covey's 7 Habits and Tony Robbins RPM program.

It's a tough process and I'm excited to give my new I ife a full go tomorrow.

steelwork

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »

At the time of the b/u I was writing a book, and it wasn't going well at all. I think the agita with my ex had been dragging on me, honestly. In the first weeks and months, I couldn't even look at it. I did a LOT of journalling. I think what really saved me was that I was teaching a class. I had to show up once a week for a room full of creative writing students, and they all wrote really personal essays that semester, and I had to be present for that. Then, about 6 months after the b/u, I started working on my book again. Then another 14 months after that I had finished it. Now I'm editing it. I guess this is my creative action. Really, it's the most important thing in my life, so it's hard to think of it as a therapeutic activity. It's been job #1. That and regaining my sanity.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest