Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 11:30:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does no contact mean? I feel helpless  (Read 698 times)
Arkansasnon

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »

My exgf with BPD traits had hands down the most beautiful and fragile heart I’ve ever been around.  We never once got angry at each other…she never raged.  She would riddle herself with guilt, depression and had physical ailments.  I originally broke with her.  She has gone no contact with me.  She put me so high on a pedestal that I could conquer the world when we were together.   She believed in me – and loved me deeply.  The relationship had some of the hallmarks of a BPD relationship. 

After being broken up for many many months, I reached out to her after seeing a therapist and realizing my feelings.  Her two responses were not angry…but simply – “I’m not interested.”  I had the deepest connection with her I have ever experienced or could imagine could be experienced.   I went through amazing changes myself since our breakup.  The tragedy is I didn’t know what I had until I went through the counseling and breakup.  I’ve been through every single minute of the multi-year relationship and see how I could have handled it and accepted her.  I would give all I own and who I am for it back.  How can I accept her simply saying – “I’m not interested” with nothing more?  I’ve written literally hundreds of pages on paper – thousands in my head – of notes to her (not sent).   I’ve prayed all day for over a year for her.  I wasn’t emotional before, and I cry all of the time – have now for months and months.   I cannot forgive myself for letting her go.  I get so upset and angry at myself, and I can’t do anything about it.  I feel helpless. 

Why the no contact?  What does no contact mean?  How do I even begin to move on through the pain?  How do I do it all with no closure?  No answers?  How do I stop the one-sided dialogue in my head?  She's not there to answer questions, and so I speculate.  Is there hope I can reach out again to her years from now?  Or has she made up her mind?  One of my best traits is intuition.  I used to have intuition about her…and now there is just confusion.  I now doubt one of my best traits.  At least I wish I could tell her I will always love her, and letting go of her was hands down the biggest mistake of my entire life.  I don't want to hurt her, but God I'm hurting myself.  Any thoughts would help.

Arkansasnon

Herodias

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »

All I can tell you is no contact is very difficult and I wished I had kept up with it. It is the only way to recover. It means no contact what so ever- block everything! I tried to get closure and answers over and over and the results are only getting worse. Know what you had was a fantasy relationship out of a book and wasn't real. Be glad it ended up abruptly so you didn't end up on a longer more violent place. If it's meant to be and you are not seeing any red flags after looking at it realistically, It may come back around. I didn't pay attention to the flags and when Mine came back I thought it was meant to be. My mistake was not walking away in the beginning. Years of wasted time and torture. I could have found a better person who may have actually stayed with me. I am getting older and older and don't want to be alone. I wished I knew then what I know now. Write out your own closure and see what you figure out... .Best wishes.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »

Hi Arkansasnon,

I am sorry that you are going through this.   I understand how it can be difficult to discern why your ex behaved in certain ways. The behavior can be baffling at times. It can be hard to understand how someone could put you so high on a pedestal and not want to talk to you anymore. It makes it more difficult when there is no closure. That type of pain is like a wound that never seems to close.  

Working through the pain is difficult at times. Sometimes we can make it harder for ourselves by retrospectively looking back and thinking about the 'what ifs' and 'should haves.' I have done this myself and thought, "Maybe things would have been different if I validated him more or was more understanding." Usually I thought this after he projected, gave me the silent treatment, or raged at me. I would feel guilty that I could have done more to be supportive, understanding, or caring. He told me something that made me change my way of thinking. He said, "EaglesJuju, you would give me the world if you could, you would do anything for me and you continue to do so. It is never going to be enough. That is my problem and something that I am working on. I am like a black hole sucking everything out of you, something that never gets filled." He is right, no matter what I could have or should have done, it was/is not going to be enough until he works on himself in therapy and gets to a place of recovery. That is something that I cannot do for him. I cannot change the way he thinks or behaves.

When relationships end with no closure, it seems like we can be our own worst enemy. Self-esteem can plummet and self-doubt is very common. The aftermath of a relationship like this is similar to the Kubler-Ross' stages of grieving. Denial, anger, bargaining, and depression seem to vacillate in a cycle. These feelings are normal. Although they are normal, it does not mean that it is less painful.

Self-care is important while working through such difficult feelings. As you mentioned, therapy is great for that.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Think about those amazing changes and use positive self-talk whenever you are self-doubting. Sometimes our emotions can eclipse our logic. Mindfulness really helps giving another perspective by balancing our emotions and logic. When I am working through difficult emotions, I have had a tendency to let my emotions take over my logic. Practicing mindfulness and being in wise mind helps me feel centered. Take a look at this link.  

TOOLS: DBT for Non Borderlines- Mindfulness

No contact can be for many reasons. One is her simply not being interested. Others can be based on shame and avoidance, splitting etc. How was the no contact initiated?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Arkansasnon

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:10:34 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts.  Its not a typical nc.  I broke with her.  So for a year, I had my hands up blocking her thinking she might come back.  Then after a year I realized - huh - she's not coming back.  That's when it starting opening up and crashing for me.  I tried to go out with other women and it was like my exgf was at the darn table with us.  I was dreaming about her every night.  Then after a lot of therapy, I realized I really needed to reach out to her after planning a note for nearly 6 months.  I mailed it, and got -"I'm not interested"  I reached out again with a long note, and it was returned unopened with "That relationship was painful.  I'm not interested.  Please take your note back."  She sent me something we worked on together via email a few weeks later - saying if you need another copy, here it is.  I waited and over the course of several several months reached out with no response.  Then I wrote her a postcard and said I would come to her town and go to a public but relatively private place and hoped she stopped by.  She said - "I'm not interested in any more contact."  If it was a typical relationship it would be different, but she would always shut down and say she was stubborn and then come around.  But this time I don't know.  I know the words she used are clear.  I have been, and still am, very respectful.  More respectful of her feelings than my own.  When I reached out it was with a therapist.  And now I just don't know.  I ended it originally, and so I blame myself.  I just didn't know.  During this time I crashed and came to really realize my own responsibility for some and really changed myself.  I just love her so darn much, and I'm sorry.  Even a short conversation, I think, could help.  Thanks for your thoughts.
OnceConfused

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »

No contact for the non is a way to let your mind quiet down from all the attachment, all the run-around thoughts.

it seems to me that her mind is already made up with "I am not interested/." The desire to be with you is no longer in her. I think you have tried hard enough and it is time perhaps to let her go and move on with your life. she already let you go but so far you refuse to let her go.

You will never be happy in life by wondering the what-ifs, the coulds and shoulds. LIfe is like trying to steer a sail boat, you have to adjust the direction constantly.

The real question is what you have learned about r/s and its sustainability from the last one, so that the next one will be better.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest