Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 21, 2024, 11:13:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things have been stable. Can't help but wait for the other shoe to drop. (long)  (Read 382 times)
misuniadziubek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« on: April 27, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »

For three weeks now things between my uBPDbf and I have been stable. He's been feeling happy spending time with me and hasn't dysregulated significantly when I'm around. We've had small to medium sized conflicts but with quick resolutions through SET and boundaries on my part but also him being quicker to calm. I've started to let my guard down more often, allowed myself to be vulnerable. There's clear open communication between us, talking is actually enjoyable and our intimate life has gone back to what it was when we first started together. I've truly felt happy in my relationship for the first time in probably over a year, and the stability gives me more room to recognize what's wrong and find new ways to deal with each problem.

This is a stark contrast to an even month ago when he calmly disclosed how disenchanted he was with the relationship, how he rarely was actually interested in me intimately, the passion was dead, or felt connected to me, or able to open up, that he was pretty convinced things wouldn't get better and was just waiting to find someone else so he could move on quickly. This conversation caused a paradigm shift in my perspective of the relationship. I realised that despite logically knowing it to be true I was in denial about his BPD and that started my journey of acceptance: this is a mental illness and things will never change.

And then the next weekend, things were wonderful.

So yeah, for three weeks, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. Getting angry and telling me to 'just pack up and leave' is one of his most intense reactions when he's upset. He hasn't done it in a month.

I told him about things being 'seemingly better' and happy. He told me it's because I haven't triggered his anger or acted irrationally and been malevolent towards him. I mean yes, I've been less reactive, not JADEing whenever I'm conscious of it, avoiding invalidating him when he's upset, but he's also been acting more calm, has been more likely to consider my feelings and honestly making it easier for me to be rational and validating.

So yeah, last night the other shoe dropped. We were both tired and slightly irritable. I pointed out that the friend that we'd visited was really obsessed about establishing the gender fluidity of her two year old son. She tied his hair in a little pineapple on his head that afternoon and was showing off pictures of him in a tutu. She tends to post a lot of articles on accepting your kids no matter what gender they choose to be and it's funny because he's two, he's not yet internalized his gender identity, and I feel she's going a little over board with showing everyone that she's okay with people being lgbt. Almost like she would be disappointed if neither of her kids end up being lgbt, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).At first my bf laughed about what I said and said that the friend wants to turn her son gay ( exactly the joke I was trying to make).

But then suddenly he turned angry and said that I was extremely judgmental because I was raised that way and was prejudiced and backwards through my super catholic upbringing and would never say things like that if it was a parent overcompensating their kids actual gender by giving them footballs or pushing them to be a ballerina.

When I tried to explain that there's no truth to that, he refused to listen put up the music loud enough that there was no opportunity for him to hear anything more. It doesn't make sense what he said. I have many lgbt friends I'm very close to, had a pretty androgynous upbringing myself and even have counseled teenagers on coming out as TG when I was in university.

He repeatedly tried to then provoke me on the drive home, calling me a b**** repeatedly. I stopped responding at that point, was pretty upset, got home and promptly got out, and went to his room. I needed time to calm down. He came in and said that I should turn off my car lights before it is too late for him to jump my car. When I came back in he told me that it's best that I pack up and leave tonight because he really doesn't want to be around me while I'm acting like a b****. I told him it was really upsetting that he accused me of being prejudiced considering how accepting I've been of every strange thing he does and even go out of my way to support his interests.He'd told me that he wasn't accusing me, it's true. I said it. He heard it and so on. 15 minutes.

Then it became an issue that I had not showered yet immediately upon coming home and he accused me of terrible hygiene also because I refused to use his toothpaste because I have my own toothpaste from my dentist. And that's why he is never interested in me.  Because I'm a grown adult who can't figure out to shower as needed. He'd -just- been telling me to go home and I was trying to resolve the conflict.

Finally he calmed down and wanted to enjoy some intimacy with me. All of a sudden he bites my ear. Hard. I get angry. Apparently I was touching his back too much. And he thought by biting my ear I'd realize he doesn't like that. Then he goes into a disappointed rant on how I never pick up on subtle clues. How he has to spell everything out to me and it's like I'm mentally deficient. How lately he finally feels like he can trust me and open up to me and I just repeatedly disappoint him. How I don't love him and care enough to try to follow his clues and how this is why we can't have a healthy intimate life. How I'm like all the other 'bit***s' he had dated. Lol. I yelled at him over saying that. There's no excuse for saying that.

And yet, despite breaking down repeatedly, going numb over my own issues, walking out at some point, I came back. I validated him. I used SET, I hugged him. I reminded myself that this was the illness.

And then we were close again. We spent the rest of the night close together. Talking about happy things, feeling connected, him thanking me, telling me I make him so happy.

It was exhausting. How one thing triggered him and suddenly everything was a bigger deal than usual. The cycle kept repeating over every small issue.

Ten steps forward. Three steps back. Still ahead. I'm more than convinced my boyfriend has undiagnosed borderline personality disorder mixed with some comorbid NPD.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

adventurer

Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »

I told him about things being 'seemingly better' and happy. He told me it's because I haven't triggered his anger or acted irrationally and been malevolent towards him. I mean yes, I've been less reactive, not JADEing whenever I'm conscious of it, avoiding invalidating him when he's upset, but he's also been acting more calm, has been more likely to consider my feelings and honestly making it easier for me to be rational and validating.

There is a good thread I recently read here regarding projection, but I can't find it at the moment.  Basically, just switch the pronouns, it's because HE hasn't acted irrationally and been malevolent towards YOU.  He puts these negative traits of his onto you instead of owning them.

The ear biting thing is very concerning.
misuniadziubek

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »

Excerpt

Yeah. I've told him repeatedly to express things through words rather than causing me pain. He doesn't seem to understand how it's physical abuse, tells me I'm overreacting, and I'm not sure how to enact a boundary on that, or have it stop. I might have to literally walk out on him at some point. I don't think he's getting the message. We had a conversation two months ago about how despite loving him, I wouldn't stay with someone who reacts to pain by causing me pain or that I don't want to be with someone I'm afraid of. He acted like he understood and promised to tell me rather than show me. But last night, he broke that promise. Again saying that I don't seem to get the message and that hurting me makes it stop at least.

I stopped everything the moment he did that.  I moved away from him and he used that as an opportunity to rage. Like he's the victim.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »

When I came back in he told me that it's best that I pack up and leave tonight because he really doesn't want to be around me while I'm acting like a b****.

Excerpt

Yeah. I've told him repeatedly to express things through words rather than causing me pain.

misuniadziubek, it sounds as though he used a lot of words to express things and even those, I would imagine, were painful to your ears.

You stayed.

Given the same circumstances, will you stay the next time?

misuniadziubek

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »

When I came back in he told me that it's best that I pack up and leave tonight because he really doesn't want to be around me while I'm acting like a b****.

Excerpt

Yeah. I've told him repeatedly to express things through words rather than causing me pain.

misuniadziubek, it sounds as though he used a lot of words to express things and even those, I would imagine, were painful to your ears.

You stayed.

Given the same circumstances, will you stay the next time?

I mean if I physically hurt him and am not aware of it, he should express that he wants me to stop, rather than bite me or slap my hand. Sometimes it feels like I'm dealing with a preschooler explaining that retaliating physically is not appropriate behavior.

Emotional abuse is a seperate problem.

I would have stayed, regardless. I was really exhausted and needed to sleep. Leaving at midnight felt very unappealing. If it was daytime, I might go. The fact that he says that but then calms down implies that he doesn't mean it. He likes to throw that around a lot, but as I said, it's been a month since we had this sort of conflict.

Perhaps this is on me. Not setting a boundary. But the end result felt worth the altercation once he calmed himself. It's the fact that suddenly it was like none of that happened that is confusing.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »

Perhaps this is on me. Not setting a boundary. But the end result felt worth the altercation once he calmed himself.

It's the fact that suddenly it was like none of that happened that is confusing.

If the end result felt worth the altercation for you, then what motivation does he have to reflect?  Just sweep it under the rug, pretend it never happened.  All is well, la la la... .
misuniadziubek

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »

Perhaps this is on me. Not setting a boundary. But the end result felt worth the altercation once he calmed himself.

It's the fact that suddenly it was like none of that happened that is confusing.

If the end result felt worth the altercation for you, then what motivation does he have to reflect?  Just sweep it under the rug, pretend it never happened.  All is well, la la la... .

Okay fair enough.  I realize the contradiction I'm putting out there.

Im letting him know it's okay to act like that and that there are no consequences to his actions and letting my boundaries be too vague. We're both sweeping it under the rug.

Kind of like. I'll let my 6 yo have the candy this time because I don't want to deal with disciplining him for his tantrum because I've had a long day and giving in is easier to ending up with a happy child.
bobcat2014

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »

It is tough and exhausting to make a relationship with a pwBPD. I commend you for staying. As a person who lived with a BPD for two decades, I plead with you to never, ever let your guard down. Sadly I live with the fact I will abandoned or cheated on at any given time, good times or bad. My comfort and ignorance nearly killed me as I wasnt prepared when she left.
misuniadziubek

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »

It is tough and exhausting to make a relationship with a pwBPD. I commend you for staying. As a person who lived with a BPD for two decades, I plead with you to never, ever let your guard down. Sadly I live with the fact I will abandoned or cheated on at any given time, good times or bad. My comfort and ignorance nearly killed me as I wasnt prepared when she left.

I'm sorry that you went through so much because of you pwBPD. It takes a lot of work to find your own strength and identity in such a dysfunctional relationship.

Living through a relationship where I never ever let my guard down sounds really exhausting. I want to be able to enjoy the benefits of the relationship too. If there is no opportunity for that, then there is no point in continuing the relationship. I have a strong belief that the relationship can be healthy even despite my pwBPD never getting better. Boundaries, limits, staying true to myself, validation all make the relationship more functional and better to handle. If that doesn't work out over time, there's not much else I can do. I'll have to accept it.

This relationship has more than anything given me a great opportunity to find the dysfunctional in myself. He's pointed out a lot of flaws, sometimes constructively, and sometimes really not.

I've accepted that he has a mental illness, so there's no doubt that he will dysregulate. It's just weird when things are -good- for so many consecutive weeks. We had a bad night. I didn't handle it the best I could.  Things went back to good.

I have no doubt that at some point maybe this week maybe this month, soon he will have another cycle of dysregulation, but none of them will last as long as they used to when we started dating and I'll be more prepared to handle it. And even if I fail to handle it, that's all there is to it. He has BPD. Sometimes that makes things horrible. And oftentimes, he's also a wonderful SO to me.

There is still so much work to be done, but at the very least he won't cheat on me and he's pretty stable with how he feels about me. Whether or not that's enough, only time will tell.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest