Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:35:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Addicted to Food and TV/Internet?  (Read 606 times)
bluebell7

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: December 05, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »

Is your BP "addicted" to food and TV/Internet?

Do you ever wonder if they use food and TV to relax or avoid their own anger?

Is it nearly impossible to talk about things that matter because it interrupts TV or because they quickly become frustrated and angry?

My adult daughter sleeps until she leaves for work (often late).  She comes home, over-eats, then stays up into the night watching TV or on the Internet.  Claims there isn't time to get anything else done... .or that she doesn't feel well.  For 2 1/2 years she has hated her cashier job, but does noting to change.  Goes to the dr then gets angry about the advice and doesn't follow it.  There's finally some progress getting her to take care of her own stuff- but no other progress.  So much time is wasted !

This is so stressful for me that sometimes I "zone out" too, distracting myself and wasting time... .this addiction could be contagious... .

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50:03 PM »

Is your DD on any kind of medication?  It sounds like she might be depressed in addition to the BPD because the binging and constant watching TV and sleeping  are symptoms of that.  Treatment for depression will not cure the BPD, but it can make her feel better and may help motivate her to move around more, not sleep as much and to either do better at her job or look for another one.  My DD14 does not have a problem as much with the TV and overeating as much as she has a problem with what seems to be an addiction to her phone and rather than overeating, she either is in an anxorexic phase or binges and purges her food.  Eating disorders are common among those with BPD and anorexia, bulimia and overeating are all considered eating disorders.  Please encourage her to stay in therapy and to get some help from a doctor who can prescribe meds IF she needs them.   
bluebell7

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »

That's a good point.  She's been treated for bipolar disorder, type 2 plus anxiety since she was in middle school.  Also been in therapy since then.  Recently she was put on meds for thyroid function.  Since she's treated by drs, I guess I took for granted that she's not depressed.  She's been with the same therapist for over a year now and we've had some sessions together.  I suppose her therapist could be treating her for depression... .but this has been going on for a long time and she's resisting change. 
peaceplease

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »

bluebell7,

Yes, that does sound like depression.  My dd was on a cupcake binge at one time.  She usually bought cupcakes from Walmart.  She was even hiding her cupcakes up in her closet.  I think that it may have been friends from work that got her out of her slump.  She started walking with them.  And, followed advice of dr. by gradually cutting some sugar out of her diet.  Gradually, she was losing weight, and loved all the positive comments and conquered her cupcake addiction. 

My dd does overeat when she is depressed.  Recently, she has gained 15 pounds in a month.  She lost her job, and does not do much physical activity.

Progress on her taking care of her own matters is good! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Maybe you can interest your dd in joining an exercise class with you.  Zumba is fun. Smiling (click to insert in post)

peaceplease
bluebell7

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:24:55 PM »

Do you think anxiety can also cause this behavior?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest