Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 10:55:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daughter with BPD, concerns about grandchildren  (Read 488 times)
Merrymary

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: December 22, 2016, 02:50:01 PM »

My daughter has BPD and she is the single parent of my two granddaughters. She is not a good mom and particularly mean to one of her children, while favoring the other. My granddaughters call me to tell me their woes and sometimes call crying. Social services and child protection are involved but not helping with the many issues as my daughter easily manipulates people and blames my granddaughter for problems. Wondering if anyone else deals with this issue. I don't know what I can do to help my granddaughters.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »

Hi Merrymary,

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to  bpdfamily. I'm sorry that you're grandaughters are going through this. How old are they? Is your D diagnosed with BPD? You're not alone, it helps to talk.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Merrymary

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »

Thank you. My granddaughters are 14 and 9. They both have special needs and I fear they are learning behaviors from their mother. Difficult when I take them for a day. They fight amongst themselves, and I feel horrible when I have to drop them back tho their mother. My oldest granddaughter has stayed with me on occasion when her mother has been so emotionally abusive to her. I try to help as much as I can, but they are all so needy and drain my energy dry. Hard to set boundaries when they are so needing love and care. My daughter and grandaughters have limited support. So many family members have turned their backs.
It's easier to detach from and set boundaries with my daughter, but my grandaughters are so vulnerable.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »

I'm sure that there are other members that share a similar experience, that's good to hear your GD14 has a place to fall back on when her mom is emotionally abusive towards her.

There's a lot of chaos at my children's uBPDexw's house, my place is an emotionally safe haven for them, we have a routine, granted that they can be frazzled if they have a particularly difficult week at their mom's. I notice that my D10 can show signs of stress, its not personal to me, there's, usually a valid underlying reason why, I try to validate how she feels, it help s her. That being said, what helps me tremendously is self care so that I don't feel drained.

What do you do for self care? Does GD14 talk about mom?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 06:19:26 AM »

Hi Merrymary

I can understand your concern for your granddaughters'well-being. Having a BPD mother can be very difficult for a child, I know this from personal experience with my own uBPD mother.

I think it is great that your granddaughters also have you, yet can see how this whole situation can also be very draining for you. That's why I really like Mutt's comment about self-care Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

We have some tools on another board (Co-parenting), that I think can also be helpful to you as you deal with your grandkids, particularly the ones in Lesson 5: Raising Resilient Kids When a Parent Has BPD:

What to tell kids about a high-conflict co-parent

TOOLS: The Power of Validating How Kids Feel

TOOLS: Child development and parents with mental illness

POLL: From Risk to Resiliency--Protective Factors for Children

These tools can help you communicate with and better understand your granddaughters and what they are going through. They can also help you stay more emotionally balanced so you'll feel less drained.

Take care and welcome to  bpdfamily

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest