Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 18, 2024, 01:42:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My MIL With BPD Does Not Like Me, Yet, Asked Me To Go Out  (Read 358 times)
OneSided

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: November 30, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »

Hi All!

So, this post might sound a bit funny but in all honesty I am not sure what to do.

My MIL has BPD and to make a very long story short, I married her son and she views me as the women who stole her son away. Although we are "civil" (and by civil I mean she never talks about her feelings or stuff that bothers her. Issues are always thrown to the side), we do not have a close relationship. We do not go out and have lunches and haven't gone out just her and I since first meeting her 8 years ago.

She texted me today and asked out of the blue if I would like to go to the mall tomorrow just her and I. It sounds normal right? But for her and I it's not normal. It just gives me an uncomfortable feeling when I think about going out with her, such as there is something behind why she wants to go. My brain starts to spin with questions like, why does she want to go? What is she trying to prove? etc.

My brain goes to this defensive mindset and it shouldn't. I search for the "other" side of things and a deeper understanding of what she could possible want. I know she really might just be trying to connect and have a relationship with me. However, I have given her the benefit of the doubt before and it only ended the way I was scared of.

So, my question is, do I go to the mall with her? I truly am trying to understand why now? Why all of a sudden does she want to go out?

I just never know what to believe with her anymore. She has stated that she does not like me and to be honest I don't like her either right now. I am hoping I will like her one day but at the moment being around her only hurts me. It hurts so much because I know she has had issues with me and wont talk to me about them. It's hard to be around someone who you know is not a fan of you.

I also love my MIL very much, she gave me the best gift which is my husband but it is just difficult.

Any opinions or direction would be wonderful.
-Onesided
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »

Hi.  Well, that certainly is out of the blue!  I understand why you would be hesitant.  It is impossible to know what she is looking or hoping for.

I would be inclined to go, but make sure we set a time limit of sort (as in 2-3 hours... .not sure how to word it tho) and that we drove there separately and just meet somewhere in the mall.  I would also give myself permission to leave.  You can say your stomach is bothering you or something.

What do you think?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »

Hi, OneSided. Thanks for posting. Harri has given you proper things to think about when it comes to what you’re here for.

You love her because she gave birth to her Son. This hits home with me. The love of your life came from her. I agree with Harri that the out of the blue invite is odd.

I’ll say this, if you agree to the invite, be you. And I’m dead serious about being you. Don’t allow her to have any affect over what you want to do. If both of you can gracefully agree, great! If not, you don’t have to appease or comfort her.

Bottom line is you don’t have to go if you don’t want to. You’re your own person. Don’t feel obligated.

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:52:52 PM »

Quote from: OneSided
I have given her the benefit of the doubt before and it only ended the way I was scared of.

In what way did it end before which resulted in you being scared?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest