Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 12:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting...  (Read 359 times)
Stamp

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »

My uBPD partner is trying very hard to work on our relationship and it is, to say the least, interesting.  I recently mentioned to her that it was hard for me that we never were able to discuss things, that she would always make the plans or decisions, and if I suggested something it was immediately vetoed, even if, a while later, she would suggest the same thing herself.  In my ideal world, at least some of the time we would be able to discuss ideas and share decisions rather than having a unilateral decision making process.  It's always her saying 'we're doing this' or 'we're not doing that'.  She said that she understood and would try to discuss things with me rather than make all the decisions.

Yesterday I experimented by saying 'if you have any free time later, how would you feel about doing something fun together?'  She was doing some work on her computer at the time.  She did not answer, but immediately got up and went to take a shower.  After her shower I asked her again and she said, 'I heard you the first time, that's why I immediately stopped what i was doing and took a shower, so we could do whatever it was that you wanted to do.  Isn't that what we're supposed to do now?  That when you ask to do something I say yes?'

I told her I wanted to find something to do that we both would enjoy and she said that the idea of discussing options and sharing the decision making was making her really stressed, so that either she would decide or I would, but that there would be no give and take.  We ended up going out to dinner and coming home and watching a movie, which was pleasant except that halfway through I told her i was enjoying our 'date night' and she said 'please don't call it a date, the idea of being on a date and having expectations put on me makes me really stressed'.

I think this is progress, and it is fascinating to get a glimpse of how she experiences things so differently from me.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »

I think this is progress, and it is fascinating to get a glimpse of how she experiences things so differently from me.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

It's great that you're able to stand back enough to see it this way, Stamp, and not take it personally.  She absolutely experiences life differently than you do.

I think a lot of pwBPD hate to feel controlled; makes them feel out of control   And expectations?  Oh boy... .   Expectations are the ultimate nemesis (can't control me!). 

Life sure is interesting and fascinating!  And can be a lot of fun, too

an0ught
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »

I told her I wanted to find something to do that we both would enjoy and she said that the idea of discussing options and sharing the decision making was making her really stressed, so that either she would decide or I would, but that there would be no give and take.  We ended up going out to dinner and coming home and watching a movie, which was pleasant except that halfway through I told her i was enjoying our 'date night' and she said 'please don't call it a date, the idea of being on a date and having expectations put on me makes me really stressed'.

You may not have liked her statement which is understandable as it was blatantly invalidating to you. However on the bright side she was self validating and that is a real positive considering to the alternative: "yes, great date" but becoming slightly dysregulated and acting odd.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Stamp

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:02:39 PM »

You may not have liked her statement which is understandable as it was blatantly invalidating to you. However on the bright side she was self validating and that is a real positive considering to the alternative: "yes, great date" but becoming slightly dysregulated and acting odd.

I did, indeed, feel as though there was this bright side.  She has been making huge efforts lately to do what she perceives as the 'right things to do' to save the relationship.  Granted, a lot of the things she does are way off mark because she does not experience emotions the way I do, but I can certainly see the effort.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest