Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 09:57:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What has made me stay in this for so long  (Read 357 times)
adventurer

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: April 27, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »

I feel like I've entered a new emotional phase, I don't know if it's acceptance, or grieving or exactly what is happening. I had a couple very disheartening experiences this weekend that really seemed to shift my brain.

First of all, I had been out of town for a week and it felt so nice to escape the daily stress of household life, of always staying on my toes and high energy to maintain an upbeat attitude and be constantly validating. Sometimes you don't realize how oppressive an environment can be until you leave it for a while.

My first experience is regarding couples therapy. I spend a couple months finding someone under my insurance, with availabilty and who has experience with personality disorder. I tried to keep my expectations low. We had one group meeting, then my wife and I had one separate meeting each. I suspected this was coming, because my wife was extremely negative and scared about counseling, and really disregulated surrounding it, but she finally came out and said she didn't like this counselor, that the counselor didn't want to listen to any of her concerns and that the counselor clearly is taking my side in everything. She also said that counselors in general only care about taking people's money and don't care about helping people.

So, even suspecting that counseling wouldn't go far, I'm just disappointed that it happened so soon. I asked my wife, since she thought that no counselors care about helping people, if it was worth my time to try to find someone else she might like better. She is 'willing' to try someone else but I think I know how that will go. I'm just very sad about this. I somehow feel that it's even worse to be let down when you predict ahead of time that it will happen.

The second thing that happened was interesting to me. I was feeling very down because I had to buy some groceries and we are really scraping by until payday. The paycheck-to-paycheck thing really bothers me but I am trying to cope by just accepting it for what it is and realize that at some point I will be able to move beyond it. Still, I was just sitting by myself trying to get past my bad feelings and go out shopping when my wife came in asked me what was wrong. I told her I was fine, because discussing money with her is a big trigger. She said she knew I was lying and it's not fair for me not to discuss with her and allow her to help me. I told her I didn't want to talk about it, but she started getting upset that I wouldn't tell her. So I told her that I was just feeling down about the money stuff but that I would be fine in a few minutes. She then immediately turned it around to be all about her and how horrible she feels because of my mood. How wrong it is for me to bring a 'black cloud' over 'her' house and environment I snapped for a second and told her "I'm sorry for making you feel bad because I have feelings." But I immediately started realizing the turn things were taking, turned it around and just let her know that everything would be fine, I just needed a few moments to collect myself and that I would be in a good mood soon. Gave her some affection and stopped the conversation from taking a downturn.

This is a bad summary because I don't remember every detail exactly, but the main thing was for me to see in real time, how the minute I had my own negative feeling and tried to share with her, it suddenly became all about how that made HER feel and I was completely invalidated. So I just stopped talking about my feelings and validated her to avoid an incident. I have friends and my own therapist to support me with my bad feelings and generally know not to rely on my wife for emotional support, but this just really drove home for me how bad the problems are.

My wife thinks there are other ways to fix this relationship than therapy for us both, together and separately, but has suggested no other way, she is unwilling to listen to my feelings and she is unwilling to change anything about the way she is living to try and improve things. I just feel so drained, so sad and feel like this is the real 'beginning of the end'.

I need to work very hard on myself and figure out what has made me stay in this for so long when I have been unhappy for years and nothing changes for the better. And I need to work very hard and find the courage to break away, go through the frightening mess of ending this relationship and move on with hopefully some good years left in my life. I am dreading the next steps.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »

Hi adventurer!

I can really relate to your feelings.

Have you checked out the decision making stuff on the undecided boards? There are some good things there that might help you to make the decisions to stay or go. When I first found these forums, I wondered the same thing, "What the heck was I thinking? Why have I stayed so long?"

I had to answer those questions for myself. Nobody could answer those questions for me. It has been a painful process. I am committed to staying but there are days when all I want to do is run away and get some time to breathe and be me.

Is there a specific question that you have?

All of the therapy in the world isn't going to make a difference if the behaviors don't change.

MercuryHat

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »

Adventurer, what of your needs are met in this relationship?

That is the question I have asked myself. I have to turn to my friends outside (thank everything there is to thank for my good friends) and other community supports to get my emotional needs met. I have done this instinctively, and now that I realize that BPD is such an influence in my life I see that (once again) my instincts are good.

The reason I stay in the marriage is for the kids. The kid with BPD specifically. Each time I set boundaries and limits on behaviour (while validating and helping her name her feelings) I intuit (and hope to heck) that I am doing her good service for her relationships in the future.

I have little recourse with her father when he goes off (similar triggers to your wife's - it's all got to be about him) except to walk away. Now I am adding a compassionate and empathetic disengagement as I walk away.

If it were just he and I - I would be gone already. I know this.

I choose to stay for our family - for the kids. That is my need that is being met - to provide as much positive influence as I can in my kids' lives.

We'll see where I'm at in 13 years, after the last kid has moved out.

What (if any) of your needs are being met in your relationship with your wife?
adventurer

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »

My wife and I have a lot of shared interests and hobbies that I enjoy participating in with her. I like having someone to share things in my life with. I don't like the way I am treated and I don't like being used and exploited by someone who refuses to try and better themselves.

I must have made some mistake because I wanted to post this on the leaving board.
takingandsending

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »

Hi adventurer.

I also have had similar experiences to the ones that you described. Grieving is a pretty normal and healthy response, even though it feels pretty awful. Sorry you are going through it right now.  

A couple of things stand out in your post.

So, even suspecting that counseling wouldn't go far, I'm just disappointed that it happened so soon. I asked my wife, since she thought that no counselors care about helping people, if it was worth my time to try to find someone else she might like better. She is 'willing' to try someone else but I think I know how that will go. I'm just very sad about this. I somehow feel that it's even worse to be let down when you predict ahead of time that it will happen.

When you think about MC, what are the most important things that need to improve in your marriage and relationship with your wife? Based on those answers, how do you feel about the boundaries that you have in those areas?

My wife also went through the whole MC is taking sides, likes you better, doesn't like me, doesn't understand me thing. I also felt that she was sabotaging working with this person because she didn't want it to work. Nearly a year later, we are still seeing our MC, and things are going a little better. It's always a dance, to be certain, but we occasionally get to talk if not resolve some dynamics. But for me, seeing the MC was a condition of my staying. Do you think that is a possibility for you? That your wife is on guard and looking for the worst in the MC just reflects the deep shame and judgment she has about herself, which is so hard to work with.

I snapped for a second and told her "I'm sorry for making you feel bad because I have feelings." But I immediately started realizing the turn things were taking, turned it around and just let her know that everything would be fine, I just needed a few moments to collect myself and that I would be in a good mood soon. Gave her some affection and stopped the conversation from taking a downturn.

Realizing that our partners cannot be there for us in an emotionally supportive way is really hard to accept. I totally understand feeling let down here.  

Still, you did a great job in staying engaged and not making things worse. If you do decide to stay, or if you choose to separate, this and boundaries are the path for communication. Sometimes, with my wife, I think that her intentions or interest in helping are genuine, but her brain's capacity to not freak out and then end up attacking is just really limited. Your wife may have been concerned about you feeling down and really wants to be able to talk an share - our distancing presses their abandonment buttons big time. But, in the end, the thoughts that she was already having about her perceptions of why you were feeling down just took over.

I don't  stay too engaged with my wife when this sort of stuff happens. I just take care of my needs, particularly if I am feeling low. I let her know I will come back to talk later, but I need space ... .

I hope you take the time that you need to allow your grief. Write, draw, sit quietly in a place that allows you some space. If those feelings come out, you may find that there is more room to work within your dynamics than you thought.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest