Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 11:30:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wounded  (Read 414 times)
sheepintampa
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 13, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »

I recently learned about BPD and realized my spouse carries many traits.  A co-worker of mine has a husband who sounds like my wife's clone.  It is eerie.  This discovery in the past few weeks has made me realize how guarded I have been, how deeply wounded I let myself be and how I cannot continue like this.

I have begged to go to marriage counseling, but she refuses.  She thinks counselors are quacks who only want to prescribe drugs, based on an experience where I had convinced her to go early in our marriage.

I have gone on my own before, and all the anxieties and blaming myself I harbored came out.  I tried to get her to go then, too, but she would not.  

I know I carry blame for problems in our marriage, too, as we all do.  I don't know how to fix this, though.  We have tried on our own over 17 years of marriage, and I am so ready to give up.  I respect my vows, and I know how it would hurt my 15 and 11-year olds if it came to it, but I don't know what else to do.  It just feels awful.  
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »

It sounds like you are in a tough spot. It is so hard when a spouse refuses to do anything to help make things better.

One of the things that you can do is work on things on your side. There are some great lessons that you can find to the right. It will help you to understand her behavior as well as your own. I have been married for 17 years as well. When I found this place, I felt hopeless and didn't think that things would ever get better.

The more I learn about communication tools and the more I focus on how to take better care of myself, the better things get.

Welcome to the forums!
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:41:21 AM »

Hi sheepintampa,

I recently learned about BPD and realized my spouse carries many traits.  A co-worker of mine has a husband who sounds like my wife's clone.  It is eerie.  This discovery in the past few weeks has made me realize how guarded I have been, how deeply wounded I let myself be and how I cannot continue like this.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) You insight that you can't continue down this path enables you to change course.

I have begged to go to marriage counseling, but she refuses.  She thinks counselors are quacks who only want to prescribe drugs, based on an experience where I had convinced her to go early in our marriage.

Here is the good news: MC with BPD is not really recommended so missing out on it won't be such a loss.

I have gone on my own before, and all the anxieties and blaming myself I harbored came out.  I tried to get her to go then, too, but she would not.  

Good for you. Maybe a repeat round for you now?

It is understandable that she is concerned about medication - who would not. Medication in some cases may support therapy for BPD but won't tackle any of the core problems. She also would not benefit from the type of therapy that you went through which you describe in part as painful experience. She needs "simply" emotional education and training in skills i.e. DBT. Probably will take a while until she gets the insight - you pushing right now will be contra-productive. Get first a deeper understanding of the situation by discussing here on the board.

I know I carry blame for problems in our marriage, too, as we all do.  I don't know how to fix this, though.  We have tried on our own over 17 years of marriage, and I am so ready to give up.  I respect my vows, and I know how it would hurt my 15 and 11-year olds if it came to it, but I don't know what else to do.  It just feels awful.  

Well, thing have to change. I understand like all of us you can't change your sheepish core but you can put on a different skin 

Things don't change overnight and not everything can be changed. However don't underestimate your power to affect meaningful change. The tools here are effective in getting back control in the areas that matter to you. Vortex mentioned communication tools - they allow you to decrease triggering frequency and give you a much better understanding of what seems unpredictable behavior. Then there are boundaries which allow you to protect what is important while minimizing the inevitable conflict around that change.

You find it all spelled out in the LESSONS post above. Read through them. Mostly these are skills and take practice and feedback. That is what this board is about. Not only but also to support you when you feel down 

Welcome,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest