Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 22, 2017, 05:47:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
What is BPD and how to deal with it Listen to audio
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, Flourdust, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Substance abuse: Are pwBPD prone to have subtance abuse problems?  (Read 9399 times)
Witchway

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »

Mine didn't drink Alcohol at all, he did however self-medicate with Cannabis on a regular basis. He would also occasionally self-medicate with  MDMA- small doses (he told me) then go out on his motorbike and do silly speeds. Really silly speeds. When questioned on this he would tell me it was to 'blow away the cobwebs.' I think it was an attempt to fill the black hole / void in his life. In hindsight I now think he used MDMA more then he actually let on. Interestingly psychiatrists, psychologists, psychotherapists are currently running trials looking into how psilocybin (magic mushrooms), MDMA and LSD help with severe emotional problems when used in therapy.

lemon flower

triss

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »

In hindsight I now think he used MDMA more then he actually let on. Interestingly psychiatrists, psychologists, psychotherapists are currently running trials looking into how psilocybin (magic mushrooms), MDMA and LSD help with severe emotional problems when used in therapy.

yes I know they are researching with this kind of substances, I know there have been succesful results with MDMA used with people who were suffering from trauma , but I don't know if there have been tests with pwBPD ?

personally, I wouldn't like the idea of my BP using psychedelic drugs, I think he is emotionally and mentally so disturbed that he could go really bad on that stuff 

he is a drug user and alcoholic allready for ten years or maybe more but he doesn't seem to be interested in psychedelics (he prefers to use coke and similar drugs at times, in addition to his "usual" doses of weed and alcohol)

You called me strong, you called me weak
You took for granted all the times I never let you down
You stumbled in and bumped your head, if not for me then you'd be dead
I picked you up and put you back on solid ground,
and watched the world float to the dark side of the moon...
- 3 Doors Down -
Mr Hollande

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »

My BPD ex is a terrible drinker. She'll get so wasted she won't be able to speak, only cry. Sometimes she gets verbally abusive. Expecially when on the hard stuff like whiskey or vodka. She once got so drunk at a concert she slept through the whole show even when we stood in the centre of a very lively crowd. Since she got together with her new guy, a hippie stoner type, she has started doing drugs as well. Something she absolutely despised before. Considering the havoc alcohol plays with her I can only imagine the effects of weed and amphetamine. The new guy has a bumpy ride ahead.
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD