Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 05:20:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice on how to start the steps to getting DD26 on disability  (Read 379 times)
FaithfulHope

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: March 20, 2018, 07:01:13 AM »

Hi there.  Looking for advice on how to start the steps to getting DD26 on disability.  It is becoming very clear she just cannot function like a normal person and work steady at any job.  Her fluctuating emotions and impulsive behavior get in the way and she goes from job to job to job and up until now her dad and I have paid to fix the mess and get her back on the right path only to have her derail her life and run it into the ditch again.   It is a cycle we can no longer afford to continue.   Where do we start?  And is my involvement in helping to pursue this a help or hindrance to this process?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »

Hi FaithfulHope

I too am thinking along the same lines as you, my 29 DD has yet to get back to work since her crisis (first crisis), she may do well- I have my fingers crossed, I just think DD knowing the process of applying for the future, that there is a safety net may provide her some comfort, something less to worry about. She's living at home at the moment and receives a very small disability allowance because of that.

Where to start? Is you daughter on board with applying for disability allowance, will she be looking for your support in pursing this?

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:09:31 PM »

Hi FaithfulHope,

I can’t speak for your question, I’m sure that others will join soon and can offer you advice. I just wanted to say that I’m sorry to hear that your DD26 is having a hard time functioning. I hope that you find what your looking for.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
FaithfulHope

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »

Wendydarling and Mutt, thank you both for your replies.  Wendydarling, I have not discussed this idea with my DD yet but I think she would be all for it.  She has never been driven or had any real goals.  She seems only to put effort into having chaos and being deceitful.   Its very very sad and its a cycle that keeps going and going and going.  And Mutt, thank you for your kind reply.   As you know its just exhausting for us parents to ride along their rollercoaster, always trying to keep them safe and secure when they are their own worst enemies.   I appreciate your concern.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest