Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 11:21:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In need of your wisdom concerning...  (Read 2116 times)
Googie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: engaged for 9 years with no plans of tying the knot any time soon

« on: November 26, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

therapeutic foster homes and if they seem to be helpful or hurtful when compared to a group home placement.  We have some tough choices to make and I know each individual is different and reacts differently in any situation.  Your input has helped me so much in these last few months that I feel it necessary to continue to ask for your guidance.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Googie
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
cfh

Relationship status: Married 30 + years and struggling under the strain

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »

Googie

I'm in the same boat about to find out what's out there... .I will share any information that I find.

Wish us luck!
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »

Long term residential treatment that the family actively participates in would be my first choice.

If you believe this is not possible define the obstacles and take on each one step by step.  Most of the time it is financial... .why?  because your d is a minor and you have control over these choices.  It is a fact that you can place her in a place of your choosing as long as it is funded.

There are many members here who have had experience with funding rtc.

Personally we paid out of pocket and it was and continues to be a very good choice we made.  I understand that not all families can make this sacrifice.  There are options for personally funding rtc:

Home equity loan

Personal low interest loans (specifically designed for rtc)

Using her college fund (if you have one)

Other options:

IEP Funded

Insurance

State funded

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
cfh

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »

My ds29 was in a private long term therapeutic boarding school from age 14 through high school.  These were schools that run 12 months a year.  It was determined that our local public school could not accommodate his needs so the school district picked up the entire tab.

Have you had your ds evaluated by a school appointed psychiatrist who will then make a recommendation?

The law is very exact.  Your ds is entitled to FAPE a free, appropriate public education.  If it is determined that your public school cannot provide that then alternatives must be found at their expense. 

If that's the case you will have some homework to do in choosing the best placement for ds.
Googie

Relationship status: engaged for 9 years with no plans of tying the knot any time soon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »

She does not meet the requirements for IEP funding so she can not go to a residential school without us paying for it and since our family has 7 other children (yours mine and ours) we can not afford to pay for anything.  My credit is screwed so no loans either... .

We are looking into what our options are at this point.  We have an appointment at 1 today.  Keeping our fingers crossed that there will be some choices that make sense for her and our family.  So far, there have been very few that she/we qualify for.  I love our Easter Seals team, so I am praying that they have found a place for her.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Googie
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »

She does not meet the requirements for IEP funding so she can not go to a residential school without us paying for it and since our family has 7 other children (yours mine and ours) we can not afford to pay for anything.  My credit is screwed so no loans either... .

We are looking into what our options are at this point.  We have an appointment at 1 today.  Keeping our fingers crossed that there will be some choices that make sense for her and our family.  So far, there have been very few that she/we qualify for.  I love our Easter Seals team, so I am praying that they have found a place for her.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Googie

I will pray too Googie!

cfh

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »

Googie I hope Easter Seals comes through for you.  Just curious... .why does dd not meet IEP requirements?

I am also going to contact Easter Seals to see if they can help my son with housing.

Googie

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »

Because she can hold herself together enough at school where there is no immediate need for an alternate academic environment.  She was not able to hold it together 2 years ago, but for some reason the admin at her middle school kept playing games regarding my request for an IEP eval to the point where it then became the problem of her HS (which was the point of their games to begin with).  Since she started HS we have had nothing but great experiences with the special ed staff.

Googie
cfh

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »

Sounds like you have had a rough time.  Praying that Easter Seals comes through...
Being Mindful

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »

Because she can hold herself together enough at school where there is no immediate need for an alternate academic environment.  She was not able to hold it together 2 years ago, but for some reason the admin at her middle school kept playing games regarding my request for an IEP eval to the point where it then became the problem of her HS (which was the point of their games to begin with).  Since she started HS we have had nothing but great experiences with the special ed staff.

Googie

We had problems in middle school which were similar. We could not get the school to cooperate even when our D's therapist would write reports and attend meetings. Finally, in 9th grade we got the attention and support we needed. Can you try and have a therapist write the request demonstrating that this is not new, documenting the long term process that has been in place with your child but that nothing has worked. Specifically requesting alternative support.
Googie

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »

We are in the process of having her therapeutic team write referrals for alternative placement because all of the options available to her are short term placements, so we will be looking into having her placed through her IEP.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »

Hope this works out to your family's benefit Googie,

let us know where you need help

lbj

cfh

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »

Googie,

So this is good news yes?
Googie

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

We're not quite sure if we can get it done.  It's not looking good at this point.

G
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest