Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:45:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes and Divorce  (Read 633 times)
Forestaken

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: January 01, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »

In the past, I have completed the income taxes for my s2bx and myself.  Joint accounts.  Last year, she changed the address on her inheritance account (in both names) to where she is living. As a result, I know I will not be receiving any tax info about this account. 

Question: Since our divorce is not finalized, how to file (status) and how to handle the missing information?
Peaceful.

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »

I am not an accountant or a lawyer, but of course you can simply begin to file separately, even if the divorce is not finalized. That is what I did in my experience.
Forestaken

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »

Did you have any joint accounts but you didn't have access to the information? 
Peaceful.

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:55:22 PM »

Ok, I see what you are saying more clearly now. By the time I had to file everything had been split already.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:12:57 PM »

An inheritance generally is not part of the marital assets unless it has been commingled with marital accounts.  A local family law attorney can speak with more confidence, but since it is in both names it could be considered part of the marital assets.  If it has been mixed with other marital money, it would be harder for her to say which is hers and which isn't.

But your question was how to do the taxes.  If you're on the account jointly, you likely have an ability to ask the bank or firm to send you copies of the statements no matter where the statements are mailed.  However, do not be surprised if she has transferred the money to a personal account.  I don't know if she's allowed to do so during a divorce process.  Doesn't mean she can't, the bank may not know about the divorce case or served notice to get permission from the court before removing the funds, it means she probably shouldn't.

This question is a legal one and you really need local legal advice from a professional.

Waddams

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living single, dating wonderful woman now

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:03:28 AM »

I went to a tax pro for advice about taxes and divorce.  The guy had worked for the IRS for 20 years, then switched sides because he knows all the loopholes and can get me much more on returns than I knew how to on my own.  He also has given me advice for how to do my taxes even post divorce regarding child care expenses, etc. that basically make it so I get to set up my finances, dependent care accounts, etc. in a way that I always get certain tax breaks even if ex-wife claims them.  I pay it all pre-tax as I go up the limit allowed per year.  Then when she claims it, it bounces back from the IRS to us both and I get to say I paid it, she didn't, and I used a pre-tax account so I've already got the tax benefit.  Pisses her off, but she tries every year anyway. 

He was also able to finagle both our taxes when we were divorcing on separate filings so that we got a lot more money back than we would have jointly or figuring it out on our own.  I still go back to him every year now because he's worth the expense!

Anyway, in addition to a lawyer, a good tax pro can provide a lot of help.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest