Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 23, 2024, 05:21:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advise  (Read 512 times)
dmiller

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married, 3 yrs

« on: January 30, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »

I am new to this and want to thank everyone on here. It finally seems I have found somewhere to help me gain more knowledge of BPD. My H is UBPD and has an upcoming appointment for evaluation. Any advise? And any suggestions on what to expect for the appointment. My UHBPD is concerned over being giving medications that he might not need. But he is willing to try whatever they suggest. 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rockylove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »

I have no advise on the upcoming appointment, but I'm really glad to hear that your husband is seeking help.  If the therapist is qualified and experienced treating BPD, I wouldn't expect that they would arbitrarily give out drugs without seeing him several times and getting a good history (unless he's severely depressed and an anti-depressant is prescribed early on as they take a couple of weeks to see marked improvement) 

Best of luck to you both and keep us posted!
Aundrea

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »

I found that after the appointment my DBPD partner became very depressed. He said it was hard, as for the last 35 yrs he has been living his life wrong and everything he has done is wrong. So he took it very hard.

My best advice is to look after yourself. You can't change his way of thinking, however if you look after yourself, you will be emotionally stronger and able to cope with the fall out (if there is any).

As for the medication, he will be a bit reluctant, as to my partner it's a blow to his ego as its admitting something is 'wrong' and he is not in control... .  

Take it one day and one step at a time. Look up the tools on validation and don't argue back and buy into any blame games (if he becomes unstable after any diagnosis). The tools on this site really help. Look after yourself and take care
dmiller

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »

Thank you to both replies. I will give updates as we go. Yes, I have found that one day at a time is so much easier. Thank you for your comments.
Cloudy Days

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »

My advise is to be patient. As long as he is going he will make progress. It takes a lot of time to start seeing it but it does creep up on you. 4 months into my husband getting treatment I thought it was a waste of money. Once they start tearing into some of the deeper issues he has you will see a regression but it is only temporary. It's taken a long time for him to become the mess that he probably is, it's also going to take some time to learn how to become this new person. My husband has still not tried medication yet, he's been given scripts but is always apprehensive to take them. He has however shown a lot of improvement without meds. So they are not always needed.

It's not the future you are afraid of, it's repeating the past that makes you anxious.
dmiller

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »

Thank you Cloudy Days, that gives me hope. And yes, yes he does have a lot to clean up before becoming the new person. There are some techniques that we have actually tried on our own and they are seems to work to calm things down. And I can somewhat understand about the meds bc I wouldn't want to be on something that I didn't feel myself when taking it. But he is open right now, we will see when the appointment gets here. And we are okay with them not giving something to begin with, if that's how they see it needs to be. My spouse came from a abusive childhood. He was adopted at 5. So before that he was abused in every kind of was possible. And then he has the abandonment issues. It would be interesting to know how many people with this has that type of background, of neglect as a child and abuse. Thank you.
elemental
aka "zencat"

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »

Your avatar is seriously cute!

Anyway, the best thing I learned is to detach from their actions as much as you can so the effects do not go deep into you and hurt you at a core level.

And take care of yourself by giving yourself breaks and doing things that keep you sane and refreshed.

Cloudy Days

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »

And take care of yourself by giving yourself breaks and doing things that keep you sane and refreshed.

Yes! This is very important, if you don't do something for you, you get lost in the madness. See your family or friends, go for walks, do a hobby that you love. It doesn't matter what it is as long as you enjoy it for you.

It's not the future you are afraid of, it's repeating the past that makes you anxious.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest