Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 31, 2024, 06:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have any personal experience with Angelus House at Wellspring in CT  (Read 762 times)
Deena

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 05, 2013, 07:23:48 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with a child at the Angelus House at Wellspring in Bethlehem, CT?  My 21 year old daughter is there now and I'm just now sure... .  I would so welcome any real experiences that anyone has had with the place.

Thanks so much. 
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
cfh

Relationship status: Married 30 + years and struggling under the strain

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »

Deena

I know you have not received any responses on Wellspring and though I've heard of it I don't have first hand knowledge.  But as a mother whose ds has been in so many places... .  if you are starting to have doubts I would start to plan as much time as possible there.  Talking to the administrators, see if they would let you observe anything, ask for a tour, sometimes other parents are open to talking about their experience so you might want to ask for some references.

If your intuition is kicking in that it might not be right then I would schedule lots of time with the staff... .  they can't deny you access to that.

Someday . . .

Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:35:54 PM »

This is one of the many places that I called about for my own daughter.  The only feedback that  I can give you is that my oldest sister is a diagnosed severe schizophrenic living in a wonderful, phenomenal group home in Massachusetts.  The program director is amazing and she and I have a special rapport.  About three years ago I asked her what place she would recommend for my dd and she mentioned McLean and Wellspring.  I ended up sending her to McLean.  I did notice that Wellspring did not offer DBT at that time and since my daughter has/had done so well using the DBT skills, at this point in time it would not be a good fit for my daughter.  Also, when I spoke with Wellspring a couple of years ago, they mentioned that a car is recommended near the end of treatment since a client may want to go to school etc. and there was no transportation provided by the facility.  Again, this was a couple of years ago and it may be different now.

Please let me know if your daughter ends up going there and what your thoughts are.  I'm trying to be a source of information for families in my area and any feedback is appreciated.

Good luck to you and your daughter!   
sunshineplease

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »

Deena, I'm not sure if you're on the forum any longer, but wanted to say I hope all's well at Wellspring. It's one of the options I considered for my daughter. In the end, I thought the focus on school would be a detriment to my daughter (who's going to have to find her own motivation, as the "faking school to please others model" was an epic fail). I also didn't get a great feeling when I asked them about meds (when I hear the word "control" rather than "help," red flags go up for me.) I'd be so curious to know what makes you "not sure." But maybe it's all worked out by now and you're feeling more comfortable about the choice. All best.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest