Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 01:52:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you fill the void?  (Read 403 times)
dharmagems

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: divorcing

« on: March 11, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »

Remember how great it felt to be idealized by the pwBPD?  My ex would come home with flowers, give me foot rubs, and wash the dishes.  He would look into my eyes and say I love you and give me hugs.  

I have never experienced that before. I come from a cold, domestically violent household growing up so I was so emotionally attached to my exuBPDh in his idealizing state of me.  But when he became raged in verbal abuse, I got PTSD.  My nervous system, my body, and mind were really taking their toll.  I was sinking.  

It literally was the most draining and emotionally hardest thing to get through the divorce process.  But, I was getting so sick I could not function normally in the world being with him, I had to let him go.  

Now I started T, and I don't feel as PTSD as much as GAD in making life decisions to get a life together.  There are so many decisions I'm making: financial, health, where to live, without him and it is overwhelming and scary.  I recently had a breast biopsy and I knew I could not emotionally lean on my pwBPD any longer, so I called old girlfriends who live all around the world for emotional support and even I had childhood wounds with my immediate family I asked them to go to the hospital with me.  And that was a tremendous help (and BTW, I don't have cancer )

The closest thing to that feeling of emotional support is when I participated in some community peer support groups in a different city years ago.  My question to you all is how do you deal with the loss of that idealized feeling that the pwBPD gave you, and how can we fill that void we have that they filled?  How do you do that when you're physically isolated from peer support, like I am?
fakename

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »

i guess by recognizing the only person that can fill any void inside of you is yourself.

be devoted to yourself, your own personal growth and harmony.  find hobbies that stimulate your mind and that you dont need anyone else to do.  get out of the mindset that we need someone else in our life in order to be happy or full.

be content and find peace even when doing nothing. dont be hard on yourself, dont pity yourself and dont make excuses.

those are just my thoughts and what i work towards
AbayaLady

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »

dharmagems,

I am so sorry to hear about the rough time you're having. I'm also glad your biopsy was negative. I went through a similar scare recently that included a very painful biopsy and all my pwBPD could say when I called crying about it was "I'm sorry you're going through this" with zero emotion.

I am in the second month of my separation from my stbxuBPDh and am definitely feeling the void. I miss the idealization and totally understand the feeling of being emotionally drained by the devaluation. Some days I am fine and so relieved to be out of the chaos, and some nights before bed I just cry uncontrollably thinking about the loss of the "love" he showed me.

But that word—showed—is an important one. Because he didn't give me love (he couldn't). It was all smoke and mirrors. While I agree with fakename that we have to realize we are the only ones who can fill the void, I think it is important to note that we don't have to do it all alone—others can help, but the "filler" needs to be real.

Think of a hole in the ground filled with a ton of beach balls. At first, there's so much air in them, and they are so firm and supportive as a group, that you could probably put a house on top and no one would be the wiser—it would look like the house was on a normal foundation (although you might notice once you step in that it's a little bouncy, but that's ok, it just adds to the "fun", right?)   . But soon enough, the air would start to leak out and the house would slowly sink into the hole. The void was never really filled. It was an illusion.

The "love", "care", "attention" and so on from the pwBPD are like the beach balls. Lots of fun, and they seem great overall (especially if you don't know they are full of air) but they can never last.

Now imagine the same hole, but it's filled with gravel. And concrete block. Wood.  Steel. Notice it's not all the same stuff—there's diversity based on the needs of the structure and the complimentary nature of the materials when used together. Now you have a real foundation. Put a house on top of that and it's not going anywhere.

These elements are added by you. They are your friends, family relationships (that you must build/nurture), hobbies, and other things that make you a whole and complete person. If something starts to crack or erode, you can fix it without losing the whole structure.

I spent just 4 months with my pwBPD and we didn't even live in the same STATE but in that short amount of time, he was able to isolate me from almost everyone in my family, in my volunteer/religious community, and nearly all of my friends. I turned into a different person almost overnight, trying desperately to replace the air in the rapidly deflating pit of beach balls. But it was a losing battle and I was exhausted from fighting it.

This may be a long and drawn out analogy, but it's helping me to look at it this way. What I "lost" was never really there. What I gained from this experience among many other things is the awareness of how to better choose the materials I use to fill the void that has always existed. To do it slowly and carefully and invest in quality. To value myself enough to insist on the best foundation.

I hope it helps you too. Please keep us updated. We are here for you!

p.s. My dad was a bricklayer, hence the construction analogy Being cool (click to insert in post)
mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »

I get it.  I kept my barriers up for years and let nobody in - then she broke them all down.  I was so anti relationships and I realised when with her, that it was pretty awesome to be able to rely on each other, have little notes left around the house, flowers delivered to work, cuddles after a hard day... .  and yes, there is such a void!  I feel empty inside now.

I wish I had a good answer for you - but I'm not there yet.

I fill my time with silly little things just to stop me thinking, like facebook, online games, just trying to meet up with friends who understand that I'm still at the stage of processing and will ramble about her a lot  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) (luckily they're understanding!)

The only thing that helps me fill the void that I have found so far is reading some of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books.  I have just ordered one called "Chicken Soup for the Survivors Soul".

I know you'll get there - we all will.  Keep pushing forward xxx

dharmagems

Relationship status: divorcing

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »

fakename, abayalady, and mango flower,

You made my evening with your words.  Thank you. 

The "love", "care", "attention" and so on from the pwBPD are like the beach balls. Lots of fun, and they seem great overall (especially if you don't know they are full of air) but they can never last.

Now imagine the same hole, but it's filled with gravel. And concrete block. Wood.  Steel. Notice it's not all the same stuff—there's diversity based on the needs of the structure and the complimentary nature of the materials when used together. Now you have a real foundation. Put a house on top of that and it's not going anywhere.

These elements are added by you. They are your friends, family relationships (that you must build/nurture), hobbies, and other things that make you a whole and complete person. If something starts to crack or erode, you can fix it without losing the whole structure.

AbayaLady,

such a beautiful analogy.  With your words I feel courage and strength that I can slowly build a true foundation of my soul and find and nurture myself and loved ones again. 
gina louise

Relationship status: married a few years

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »

Abayalady,

that was THE best analogy I have ever read-bar none... .  on this site or elsewhere.

The analogy that likens PwBPD to "buckets with holes that are never filled" is that it almost denies them ANY real humanity... .  

PwBPD are not empty, soul less and bottomless pits.

There's some good stuff there, or we never would have invested in the r/s to begin with!

So thank you for creating that analogy-that there's SOME support, color and substance-simply NOT enough to sustain the foundations of a LT relationship.

GL
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest