Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 01:25:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the right treatment  (Read 426 times)
JKN77

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 14, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

I just posted this on the new member introductions but thought I would post it here too and try to get some more answers.

Hi, I was on another site when one of the members posted about their BPD wife. As I was reading this I was stunned at the simularitie between her and my son. I have been seeking help, treatment, etc. for two of my children for years. The older one was finally diagnosed with aspergers and ADD. The younger one, who is now turning 19, was diagnosed with ADHD, dysthymia, possible bipolar as he gets older. Tried a few medications, biofeedback, diet changes - eating nothing but whole foods cooked from scratch, endless counseling. Never could get a handle on it. He ended up in a long-term rehab center for 10 months, has been in trouble with the law, drugs and didn't do well in school. The behavior problems have been going on for as long as I can remember. I have 5 children, he is #3. I want to say, "I just cann't explain how difficult life with this child has been, especially for his younger siblings", but you guys already know this.

Every symptom for BPD this child has. On the one hand I am relieved to finally know what we have been dealing with, on the other... .  , it doesn't look good.

I am now in the research stage on how best to go about getting him the correct help. I have heard about Dr. Heller and also a thearapy called. Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Not sure, do any of you have any suggestions on these, medications, what works and what doesn't?

Thank you... .  
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »

Welcome to the family!  I'm new here too!

Oh my gosh I know exactly what you mean when you say you cannot explain how tough life has been with this child!  Ours is 13 and we are just getting the probable diagnosis of BPD.  We have experienced cutting, anorexia, bulimia (for which she recently received treatment), ruined relationships among her friends, being the victim of bullying, suicidal thoughts and the list goes on.  I am sorry you are going through this.  I understand your pain, frustration and exhaustion! I am sorry that I probably cannot be of much help.  :)D was initially diagnosed with depression, anxiety and panic disorder, which I am sure she still has, and she has been helped by Prozac and Abilify.  Even so, we still deal with a lot of issues, it's just a lot worse without the meds.  She is also in counseling and she has a great counselor who is experienced in dealing with adopted children and those with eating disorders, but I am not sure how much it has helped yet!  Good luck and lots of ((HUGS))!

We're in this together!

jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »

my dd15 has been struggling for some time now and it was only at halloween that brought up they thought she was BPD... .  she had been in therapy for well over a year and I had tried additional horse therapy last summer as well... .  but none of that helped... .  last christmas we found a DBT therapist and we have finally seen some improvements recently... .  at times I think things in the past have not been the most stable... .  she was hospitalized three times and each time I think she came out worse... .  finally had meds changed and during that time she was the most unstable... .  these changes take time and being able to ride that roller coaster is exhausting... .  but now she is on prozac 30mg and lamictal 200mg and ritalin 20mg... .  I don't think there is a magic pill out there but my dd has seen some improvements but I know the disorder is always there.

DBT is very helpful... .  but sometimes it can be timing... .  they have to want to work on their problems... .  that is something most BPD resist but if you can get them to therapy it is a good start... .  
JKN77

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »

Thank you for your replies. It is amazing to find others who I can relate to. I am still researching the treatment options, hoping to find something, or a combination of things that will give quality to my sons life. I have another question but will start a new thread for that.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest