Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 04:26:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-handicapping- a real phenomenon  (Read 515 times)
whiletheseasonspass

« on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »

I was checking out something on the Web and came upon the term "Self-handicapping" in Wikipedia  

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-handicapping

Then I Googled the term and there are zounds of links to this phenomenon.  I wonder if it could fall under BPD behaviors.  A form of self-sabotage with interesting explanations.  

And btw- on another issue if you have not seen Dr. Phil today but will still have access to it- it is about NPD

It is about "Confronting N Personalities"  Self-absorbed people face family members who want them to change their ways.  For those or you whose loved ones with BPD also have NPD- it might be worth watching.

For me- I come from a whole FOO of this stuff... .  anyway- really meant to mention the self-handicapping topic.  

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Someday . . .

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:04:58 PM »

Wow!  It's good to see a subject like this posted!  I never realized that there was a word for it . .I used to call it self sabotaging.

My daughter definitely does this.  In fact, I was told by two of the psychologists which she has had (dd 25) that she does this.  I even spoke with my daughter about this and she gave a similar explanation.  She said that: "I would prefer to sabotage myself, than to REALLY try and find out that I couldn't do it".  It does make sense. . .who would want to know that no matter how hard they tried, that they really could not do something that they set out to do?   Since my daughter's functioning level is pretty low, it would even make more sense in self sabotaging (self handicapping). 

I have really tried for her to see that baby steps are the way to go and inevitably she would undertake more than what she would capable of accomplishing . . therefore a self fulfilling prophecy.

Thanks again for posting, it was good to see this subject addressed.
jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »

Thank you for posting this... . I find this very interesting ... . need to read a few times... . I can see this in my dd especially in regard to sports. I wonder if any one has connected this with BPD? thanks again  
Thursday

Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:44:25 AM »

wtsp,

Thanks for providing this link. I've always known that this is part of what goes on with my SD, just never put it into words.

She has a level of self-awareness about this... . won't motivate herself to job hunt for fear of rejection. Instead she is "waiting" for someone she knows to "give her" a job.

The last time she had a job she got some complaints about performance from other employees and within a few days of being admonished by her administrators, she overslept, didn't call in. Her boss was out of town and this somehow went overlooked. So, she overslept AGAIN and was fired. It makes sense... .

thursday
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »

Not sure all of this is relevant - just what came to mind. So I deleted it all.

qcr  

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest