Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 08:38:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD and bipolar  (Read 421 times)
mafmum

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 14, 2013, 06:16:11 PM »

Hello everybody. long time without posting: life!

d18 is now diagnosed with bipolar disorder also. She is on lithium. Life was improving, she was finally enjoying living. A week ago she stops sleeping ( bipolar attack! mania  ). she is hospitalized now, since yesterday. I hope she comes home soon to return to therapy that is doing so much for her. sometimes life sucks!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »

I am so sorry to hear that your DD has had to be hospitalized?  Are they working on readjusting her medicine?  It is good  Smiling (click to insert in post) though to hear that therapy is working so well!  I am praying that she is discharged soon, back to enjoying life again and am sending   !

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »

Sometimes when things are going good, we bipolar ones decide the meds are not needed. I used to do this. Do you think she was skipping her lithium? Or maybe it's effects waned with time. There are other options for meds. Are they trying something different for her? Lithium is the oldest med for bipolar.

I know I need my sleep to function. I am very cautious about missing it because it takes a bit to recover. I also see this with my DD26, though she refuses to acknowledge either the bipolar dx or the BPD. Not sure the bipolar was ever accurate as none of the meds helpd at all (mood stabilizers like lithium, depakote, lamictal... .   and newer anti-psychotics like serquel and abilify).

Sometimes a hospital stay is the right choice to stabilize - therapy does not work as well when the brain is out of balance. Hope they can get this back for her while she is there. It is also a safe place to be. For me it was a respite from the hard work of my life the two times I was hospitalized - 1991 and 1999. My meds. have worked well since 1999 - along with CBT and other therapies that came along.

Keep us posted.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:13:14 AM »

Hi mafmum,

Sounds as if it has been a challenging time eh? Sorry it all went belly up... .   but if you can learn from the mistakes that lead to this, then some good can be derived.

We're still here for you   let us know how it goes,

sending you some best wishes,

Vivek    
jellibeans

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »

I am so sorry for your dd set back... .   makes me think the meds might have something to do with it. My dd likes to stop meds too. Try to look at this as a hiccup and try to get her back on track again. Sometimes that is what is like... .   two steps forward and one back but try to see you are still going forward... .   that is really the important thing to remember... .   keep going forward. Sending a hug your way... .    
Eclaire5

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »

I like your advice jellibeans, we do need to acknowledge that this is a step process, and not give up when there is a couple of steps back. Hang in there mafmum! Hugs to you  
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest