Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 03:57:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gunderson role-playing General Psychiatric Management  (Read 510 times)
Reality

« on: April 23, 2013, 04:45:29 AM »

Hi again,

I watched John Gunderson role-playing what he calls General Psychiatric Management with a person with BPD.

He was so relaxed during the session and he also smiled a fair bit and laughed, keeping the mood lighter, gently conveying the message to the client that he didn't see her the way she was seeing herself.  He kept the focus on her finding a job, encouraging her to find something not too stressful but that fit with her interest in working with children.  He explained that she needed to be involved in the outside world so that he could help her with real-life issues that might arise.  His parting words were very affirming and sincere about looking forward to seeing her again.  The parting note was full of kindness and a sense of connection with the patient.

Interesting... .  

Reality
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
jellibeans

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »

Can you post the link to that... .   I would love to see that. We were talking about that with our dd yesterday... .   if she is home this summer I would like her to be involved in some kind of activity so she is not sleeping the day away in her room. she has been resistant so far but I plan on bringing it up again at our next meeting... .    
Reality

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »

jellibeans,

There isn't a link.  I was at the NASSPD conference on the week-end and observed this role-play in person. 

I know it was filmed, so I might be able to access the video later.

Gunderson knew this pwBPD liked working with children and in a matter of fact, low-key, well, obviously that is the expectation kind of way, he gave her the task of finding a very low-key, low-stress job she would enjoy. 

In fact, pwBPD do want their lives back.  The people around them need to hold that assumption, as well. 

Gunderson said that "You  just need to get out of their way." 

He used a lot of humour, like a wise old guru, like Yoda, if you know that character.  Just an immovable object. 

This is reality, you and I know it, so let's get on with it- that kind of stance.

Firm, kind, relaxed and very everyday.

Reality

jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »

Luck you! I would have loved to see that... .   I will look for the video. HOw did you find out about the conference? Thanks for posting... .
heronbird

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »

have you seen Anthony Bateman on youtube doing role play, he sounds similar, so calm and genuine. I am not as calm sounding as him but I would like to be haha.

There are videos on the website for nasspd, very interesting. I hope they put the one you are talking about up soon.
Reality

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:10:40 AM »

Yes, Bateman is similar, very thoughtful and lovely, too.  I actually prefer Mentalization, as I think it is more realistic in some ways.
heronbird

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »

Yes I like mentalisation too. I found it very helpful
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest