Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:44:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: success and BPD  (Read 447 times)
suzyqj42
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 27, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »

My 22 year old daughter was diagnosed with BPD 12 months ago and atm is having a a bad episode, suicidal rage etc etc, hospitalized yesterday but released yesterday ? Anyway, she is desperate for some positive news on BPD as all she knows about it is negative stuff. Could some one tell me where i can read her some positive outcomes or general stuff.

thanks

suzyq42
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
nickyg

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:57:16 AM »

hi there,

I have a friend who has BPD and has had amazing success although she has worked hard as well.  She has faced it and completed DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) which is used in New Zealand a lot for treatment of BPD with good results.  She still has her up and down days at 33 but now realises what is happening and can nip it in the bud earlier.

The reason I'm here is my daughter 23 is undiagnosed but fits the criteria.  She is starting a DBT course next month.  I pray and live in hope that she will get better but I know it's not going to be fast and in the meantime I'm finding a way to take care of myself.

Welcome, I've only been here a couple of weeks but have found it helpfully.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) nickyg
rescuenomore

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »

Hi suzy, sorry to hear your daughter is having such a difficult time. I normally post on the parent board but I saw your post and I recently watched this documentary which I thought was really good as it offers a lot of hope for sufferers.   www.topdocumentaryfilms.com/back-edge/   Marsha Lineman, psychologist in the documentary, developed DBT and she was/is a sufferer herself. Anyway it might be helpful. All the best. 
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »

My 22 year old daughter was diagnosed with BPD 12 months ago and atm is having a a bad episode, suicidal rage etc etc, hospitalized yesterday but released yesterday ? Anyway, she is desperate for some positive news on BPD as all she knows about it is negative stuff. Could some one tell me where i can read her some positive outcomes or general stuff.

thanks

suzyq42

Hi, suzyq42     and  Welcome   

I have an adult son with diagnosed BPD, besides many other diagnoses that have plagued him since he was 5 years old... .  His life has been VERY difficult, with many treks into terrible directions. Recently he was diagnosed with the BPD, and started treatment for it. Here is my/his story: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=199528.0

I believe it will give you hope, and by all means let your daughter read it... .  I'm happy to answer any questions you might have (or even your daughter might have) Smiling (click to insert in post)

pessim-optimist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »

Hi suzy,

Welcome

So sorry to hear you are going through this hard time, so scary to worry about our loved ones... .        

There are no easy answers, and usually there are no quick fixes to this difficult illness, as you have probably already found out with your child... .  The road to recovery is challenging and often long. But THERE IS HOPE! And there are success stories.

There are some good youtube videos by A.J. Mahari (a lady who used to be a pwBPD, is now recovered, and teaching about it). Here is one you might try to watch yourself and maybe jump around a bit to find some that you think would help your dd:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7oK9qHGYqE

(this one is called Borderline Personality Pain and Recovery)

Also, I have read a book of recovery written by a person who recovered from BPD. It is called "Rachel: Get Me Out of Here" by Rachel Reiland. Perhaps you would like to check it out and read it to see if it would be appropriate for your dd?

Hope you find this board helpful in the future in finding resources and much needed support. This is a community of parents of children with BPD, who try to offer warm atmosphere and support to each other.

Welcome again, suzy, keep us posted... .  
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest