Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 09:30:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this common with eating disorders?  (Read 418 times)
BioAdoptMom3

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« on: May 06, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »

13 y/o DD was hospitalized a couple of months ago for bulimia.  She has also dealt with anorexia here and there over the 18 months.  That seems to have been curbed, but now it's like she can't get enough food!  She has gained 15 pounds since her discharge 2 months ago.  She was underweight before and is very active on both a recreational and a traveling softball team (at least 6 hours of practice weekly plus games) and she works out at the Y so she isn't overweight... .  yet, but I am concerned about the trend. I also know Abilify and Prozac can cause weight gain and she is on both of those, however she has been on those meds since last fall and this all just started.  We see her therapist on Wednesday, who is very experienced in dealing with patients with eating disorders, but in the meantime, suggestions?  Should I be worried?

Thanks!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

Bio

I do not have a lot of knowledge regarding food disorders but do you think the weight she has gained is muscle weight? She seems to be working out a lot and that is surely going to change her body. Also the increase in her activity might have just triggered her hunger.

I would keep an eye on her but try not to focus on it... .  my dd sometimes worries about her weight but I really don't pay much attention. Her P weighs her every time we see him so I am letting him keep track of that.

I hope it is nothing but I can see how you would be concerned... .  sending a hug  
sunshineplease

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »

BPD is such a confusing and many-faced illness! It does seem that eating disorders and BPD can go hand in hand. (I try to look at my ud18's eating problems as something that will normalize as she begins to heal. I know body image issues are something she's discussed with her therapists, and that she's aware that binge-eating is something she does impulsively when anxious.) I hope your daughter is just normalizing after anorexia/puberty/change in exercise patterns and that she's not adding another symptom to her BPD constellation. 

vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »

Hi BioAdoptMom3,

I have read the Austn National Guidelines for BPD. It says that eating disorders and BPD can go hand in hand (which we knew) it also says that both conditions should be treated concurrently. www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/mh25 pp 87 There is also a table that shows the effects of the common pharmaceuticals on BPD p 62 but it uses the active ingredients, not the brand names.

So I think it is worth monitoring your dd's situation but I would be so careful not to communicate anxiety. I would expect if you have confidence in her T, then s/he will be attuned to any changes. I would want to know that both conditions are being treated though, because treatments for an eating disorder and for BPD may not necessarily be the same.

Cheers,

Vivek      
BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »

Thanks everyone!  Yes, she has been diagnosed with traits of BPD and is being treated for it.  I did know eating disorders are part of it.  She is totally into the self harm part (cutting, bulimia, etc.) but seems to be doing much better in that area.  I am just concerned about the new trend as far as her eating is concerned and hope that since they have been treating her for bulimia and cutting she is not trying to find another way to maintain control.  I know it isn't being caused by the exercise because she has been a softball player for years.  I will mention it to the therapist tomorrow!  Thank you all again so much for your wisdom and encouragement!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest