Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 03:03:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big milestone for SS18  (Read 359 times)
NorthernGirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: May 27, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »

SS18 (who has development delays) graduated from high school last week. It was a big deal and he was very proud. It was a rocky road getting to his grad but it was all worth it seeing the look on his face when he showed us his certificate after the ceremony. His certificate is different than a high school diploma because it is from a special needs class but he could care less about that.

We anticipated SS18's UBPD mom (who had pulled him from school when he was 14 to "home school" him, told him he didn't need to go to school after 16, etc.) would cause some minor drama around the grad. On grad day SS18 was at her home (he is 50/50 between her home and ours) but she told him she couldn't drive him to the grad ceremony because she had to pick up SS21 (her golden child) from work to bring him to the ceremony. SS21 works two minutes from her home. So DH had to leave work early to get SS18 from her house. But when SS18 called all worked up, DH told him that just meant he could come by and help him tie his tie.

DH's ex demanded that she have the grad tickets for "her boys" because they must sit with her. We told SS23 it didn't matter to us where he sat (he wanted to sit with us, but said he knew that would cause drama so sat with his mom.) SS18 was upset because she wouldn't get tickets for anyone other than "family" and he wanted a few other people who had helped him get back in school or who have been very supportive of him being in school. So we looked after getting tickets for the others, and in the end all the people he wanted to be there were there.

After the ceremony, I stayed back to ensure I wasn't causing any extra drama but it turned out that his mom had gone to her car. She told SS21 to fetch his brother because her feet were sore. So it gave us a chance to get some pictures with SS18 in his gown and for him to tell us how exciting it all was and how he was proud of his accomplishment. He had asked me long ago to ensure I got a picture of him in his gown to post on Facebook, so I was able to do that and he's been very excited by all the people who have commented or liked his photo.

His mom told SS18 over and over that his "official" grad dinner would be with her and his brothers. But after a discussion with DH, SS18 said he understood that we don't get fussed about all that and we just wanted to help him celebrate the big accomplishment. So we asked him who he wanted to have at a celebration dinner, invited them and had a great evening a couple days after his ceremony.

In hindsight anticipating a bit of drama from her, finding simple ways around things and just focusing on SS18 helped to make it all work out.

[/url]
mamachelle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »

NorthernGirl,

Sounds so good! Congratulations to you and your SS18. 

I agree that being prepared is the best way to be.

mamachelle
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest