Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 11:21:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted to share  (Read 428 times)
Panic70
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 17, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »

My daughter sent this to me  (you may already seen it) and I thought it was a great, and simplistic way to explain the feelings that someone with BPD has... . www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraGmA7-9FA       
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
pessim-optimist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »

Oh my goodness! Panic70, this video is very descriptive, and also funny!

Thank you for posting it.

and Welcome to this board!

Pessim-optimist
Reality

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »

Panic70,

I love this video.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  I am going to e-mail the link to friends.

Reality
vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »

Hi Panic 70  Welcome

Please let me welcome you to our parent's board here and to the site in general!

I like the video very much. I also like the one is was made in response to. They are very different treatments to the same subject and are both very good.

You mention that it is your daughter who sent you the link, does she have BPD? Could you tell us a little about yourself, introduce yourself to us?

On the parent's board there are mum's (and dads too, just not so many) of teenage children, of adult children, of children with children (grandchildren). There are parents who are step parents, adoptive parents as well as the usual lot. There are people with success stories, people with tragic stories, people just managing and some who have learnt the skills necessary to manage more successfully. There are so many of us, but we all share the same experience of loving a child with BPD and all that that means. On the boards here we gain guidance and support from each other. We all have a lot to learn. Is there any particular you might want to know?

cheers,

Vivek    

ps my dd (dear daughter) is 32, she left home at 18 never returned. She is very limited contact with my dh (dear husband) and I. We are a sad story but managing successfully more or less.
Panic70
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »

Hi,

Yes my daughter is 19 and was diagnosed at 14. She is high functioning but we have had our share of the horrors brought on by this illness. She has been hopitalized twice, attempted suicide and most recently starting cutting. She goes from being sweet to more-then-not-so-sweet. She has destroyed parts of our house, and her words can cut to the bone. But then it is like she comes out of it and is the person that I remember. So in what must have been a moment of clarity, she sent me this video ans said that she likes it because it can make her laugh at herself.

Our extended family really cannot no understand what we are going through and as I said, she is high fuctioning. Polite, in college (studying psychology funny enough) and held a part time job for a long while. She knows how to pull herself together when needed so this video is a great tool when trying to explain. I just get told by my inlaws to change doctors, get her new meds... . they don't get it. 

In the mean time it is day by day. I cringe when she calls because it is usually when she is upset and I need to talk her off the cliff. Otherwise, no news is good news.

BTW... . these boards are great. I have been a lurker for some time  Smiling (click to insert in post)
mggt

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »

Dear panic,  No new is good news my grandfather always said this and to this day I say it all the time.  I know what you mean by when they call its OH NO WHAT HAPPENED your heart stops a couple of beats .  Wishing you success with your dd and welcome to this site many informative people here that can really help you .  It is so hard and sad that family and friends dont get it but it is so hard to understand you would have to sit down with each and everyone and explain it and sometimes I dont get it .  So stay on board and learn from all of us welcome mggt  
vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »

Hi Panic70!

You mention your dd is a psych student and high functioning... . hmm... . have you raised neorfeedback as a possibility with her? It may appeal to her intellect and interest. Tell me what you think, ok?

Rapt Reader has a thread that is really interesting: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?PHPSESSID=3c48900f0b05dd37bef978304f110deb&topic=202562.0

Lurking is fine too, but participating is an even better way to help ourselves... .  an easy way to learn is through the discussion and interaction we have. I hope to see you more actively involved   you would have much to contribute, no?

cheers,

Vivek   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest