Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 11:32:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally did something that its reasonable for him to be mad about...  (Read 1671 times)
allibaba

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 19, 2013, 05:56:44 AM »

After an 8 yr relationship my husband and I are officially on the edge of breaking up.  We've never been here before... . I was always the rock.  No matter how mad he treated me I was here to be his soulmate and take on the world with him.  

Well since March, I realized that my life was flushing down the toilet... . since my son was born in Feb 2012 I realized the pure insanity of my life (verbal abuse, physical threats, a husband who can't hold down a job, an emotional rollercoaster at home).  I played into every bit of this.  I enabled him to be as bad as he is.  It was like I was dealing with a spoiled child and I kept giving him more and more... .  You want to move to a new country OK, you want a sports car OK, you want new toys OK, you want to throw a tantrum about how toasted the bread in your sandwich is OK.  You want your sandwich cut exactly the same each time.  OK.  Then in March I woke up and started living for myself.  First it started with long overdue trips to see family... . I had been waiting on him to come with me.  Then starting to make plans with friends, opening up with people around me... .  family, friends.  Then boundaries to stop the abuse... .

He needs professional help.  He's at the bottom of a hole and refuses to climb out.  

Which brings me to yesterday... . I always think my anniversary is on the 19th when its really on the 18th and I did the same thing again this year.  Planned dinner for today.  Got a card and left it at work.  Normally I wouldn't have any plans but I did for once.  I had plans to go to a friend's to watch a movie.  He reminded me late in the day that our anniversary was actually the 18th not the 19th.  I asked him if he'd mind me going to the friends and doing the anniversary plans on the 19th.  He said GO.  

I still went but I am paying the price now.  This morning he was throwing everything in creation... . glasses, breakfast, slamming doors... .  Calling me every name in creation.  None of the flying objects came in my direction.  He learned that lesson at least.  Saying any other woman in the world would have cancelled her plans last night and how he regrets ever marrying me and how all I do for him is make him lunch every day and he should just get rid of me.  Forget the fact that I work a not-so-easy job to support him.  He gets everything in the world from me and he really thinks he's got a horrible lot in life and that I am part of the driver.

See I love this man, but I am at the end of my rope.  I have never ever in my life met someone who is so ungrateful.  Maybe if he wasn't such a jerk to me... . I would have cancelled my plans last night to spend them with my loving husband but I could tell that he was in a mood... . like clockwork... . once a week... . and I so rarely get out.  F him.  He's ruined so many holidays (like the Christmas  he caved in the refrigerator door because he was angry that the 'right' food wasn't in there... . and he broke his toe and his foot... . and refused to eat the prime rib dinner that I had spent hours cooking)... . I had to duct tape the fridge door shut and go buy another fridge after the holidays... . no surprise I am resentful.  

Serves him right.  I feel guilty but not that guilty because if it wasn't something real he would have made up something imaginary.  This morning I told him quietly to stop calling me names and stop taking his s out on me.  He got really upset and said he wasn't going to work and went to the bedroom and slammed the door.  Then 5 seconds later came out and said WHAT I DON'T EVEN GET COFFEE and ran out the door to work.

I pretty sure that I am not going to stay married and I am pretty sure that I will have a better life without him (as much as it breaks my heart).  We have a family trip next week and I'm not even sure that he'll go.  Its to an amazing resort in the Caribbean.  We're such lucky people.  How can he not see that? I know, I know its the illness... .  We just bought a boat.  I'll definitely go enjoy it without him.  I'm so deviant.  I still care, but all that caring hasn't gotten me anywhere.  

He says he doesn't want to go to the planned anniversary celebration tonight because I couldn't bother to get it on the right night.  I'll go and have a nice dinner any way.  

I never would have acted this selfishly before... . just can't help it.  Starting to see that I am entitled to a better life.  
allibaba

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:57:38 AM »

Think I better go check out the therapeutic separation article again.
Validation78

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »

Hey Alli!

There's no doubt that you are under a great deal of stress dealing with the BPD behaviors, and of course, you should not have to tolerate the rages. That's a whole separate issue unto itself, and of course, if you both choose to work it out, you know what you have to do regarding the use of tools.

The anniversary however, IMHO is another story. I have to say that if my spouse had forgotten our anniversary, I would have been deeply hurt. If you do this every year, and feel bad about it, I would think that you could find a way to remind yourself of the actual date. In addition, you left to be with friends, even after he reminded you of the date, which adds insult to injury. Speaking frankly here friend, BPD or not, I cannot blame him for being upset. That does not excuse his behavior, there's no excuse for that! I just hope you can step back, and be objective about how this situation could create hurt feelings.

None of us is perfect! The BPD behaviors have pushed many of us to do things totally out of character. The thing is, we as the healthier of the 2 partners have to be able to take responsibility for our actions, and own up to mistakes when we feel we have made them. You may not agree with me, and that's alright, I'm just trying to give you a viewpoint from an objective staNPDoint!

Best Wishes,

Val78
allibaba

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:58:57 AM »

Hi Val78,

I agree with you.  It was inexcusable that I mixed up our anniversary again. In past years, I figured it out and corrected plans so that he didn't even notice that I had forgotten the date.

I didn't cancel my plans with friends because I could tell in his voice that he wasn't going to act like a non abusive spouse last night and I just couldn't take the weekly dyregulation.  Even if I had stayed... . he would have dragged me through the mud over and over and I just couldn't put myself through it. Hell he drags me through the mud for made up reasons... .   I suppose I felt like being his own self-fulfilling prophecy last night "you always say I am so selfish and uncaring -- well here is what selfish and uncaring really looks like."  Maybe conscientiously passive aggressive... . pushing him out the door.     

I have literally never done anything like this before.  Normally I am the one with the cards, and the presents and the planned events... . but I am resentful today of being the person that does it on my own.  I am resentful that he got crazy on our son's first birthday because I only had 1 present and didn't throw a huge party.  I am resentful that I always have to pull the weight in our relationship.  I am resentful that without any provocation I get abused.  I am resentful that my safety and well being gets threatened on a regular basis and I am the rational and loving one and I still get criticized for not caring enough or doing enough.

I don't fault him for being upset... . I just can't bring myself to care enough about that right now... . because he doesn't care enough about his family to do pretty much anything.  And that is how I feel.  Tired of being the angel all the time.  Tired of pulling the weight of the family (which I know as the healthy spouse... . you have to do).  Tired to trying to explain to our baby when daddy ignores him for 2-3 days in a row.  A gentle little spirit who truly cannot understand why daddy is doing this. 

I think that this is my sign that its time to separate... . when you can't carry the load anymore.
allibaba

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »

I see what a whiner I sound like.  I'm just so tired and I had everything planned for today and got him the boat that he really wanted... . it seems like I could get some partial credit? 

Expectations lead to future resentments! 

So I already apologized. I'll probably just give him space and then go on vacation (assuming that he goes) and then we'll work on the future when we get back.  I think that the best bet would be to separate for a while to give both of us some breathing room.
Validation78

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »

Hey Alli!

Kudos to you for acknowledging your part in the latest situation! It's hard to look at ourselves with a critical eye, and admit to our mistakes. If you have admitted that to him, and have made a sincere apology, forgive yourself, and move on. Of course that means that you have to be sincere, which given your present state of mind, may be very difficult! Do your best though, and do it for you, because you know it's the right thing to do. How ever he reacts after that is out of your control.

I don't think you sound like a whiner at all. It sounds like you are reaching the end of your rope. You know how to use the tools, or perhaps you need a review. In your current state of mind, maybe you should read up on the wise mind workshop. You have to get yourself in a better place before you can be an effective emotional leader. It's a tall order, and an impossible task unless you are taking care of your own emotional state!

Can you create some quiet time for yourself, to reflect on the whole situation and to formulate a game plan to improve things before they get worse?

Best Wishes,

Val78
maryy16

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:32 AM »

I think you are just at the end of your rope in this relationship... . to the point where you could have changed your plans, but thought, "f-it, I'm sick of him and how he treats me".

Yes, he does have a reason to be upset, but I know where you're at. Sometimes we get to the point where we don't care if they get hurt after all they have put us through, even if we actually are the cause of that hurt.

You did the right thing by apologizing to him and now sit back and really figure out which way you are going to go, like you said, give yourself some breathing room. Take the vacation and see how you feel when he get back.  
4now

Relationship status: married 10 years

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »

HI!

Please don't throw yourself under the bus on this one! 

I, like you, have a tendency to get dates confused.  Given the stress you have been under, I can see why this could happen. 

I don't think you did anything terrible.  Truly, you are taking care of yourself and it may seem "selfish" but to me it's self-preservation.  I think there comes a point when you just have to do what is best for you so you can stay sane and be there for your little boy.

I am just curious, but why is it expected that you make the plans, it's all up to you, but it's your "marriage" anniversary and should be reciprocal.  Did he do anything special for you? 

I'm sorry, but I don't think he gets a free pass because he has BPD.  I am so tired of all the terrible behavior just being "normalized" as, well that's just the BPD.

I don't think you sound like a whiner.  It sounds like you are a human being whose limits have been reached.

By the way, your vacation sounds wonderful.  Would you consider going with your son by yourself even if he doesn't go?  Or could someone take his place?  You should be able to enjoy this wonderful thing you are able to give yourself.

nevaeh

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »

Sorry Val78, but your response ticked me off.  Don't take it personally, I know nothing about you.  But I am about 9 years farther into my marriage with a man who is classic BPD but who has refused over and over to get counseling or get help for his outbursts. Being married to someone like this is emotionally draining, to say the least. 

My husband has pulled the same kinds of things.  One year I didn't get him anything for his birthday but bought one of my kids a new lego set and he freaked out.  He accused me of "not caring" enough about him to acknowledge his birthday.  No matter that he hadn't gotten me a birthday present. And, add to it that every time I have ever bought him a gift for Christmas/birthday/anniversary, he has either never used it or returned it.

It takes an unfair amount of work by the non BPD spouse to try to keep the BPD spouse happy.  But the problem is, at least in my case, the BPD spouse is not capable of ever being happy.   

I would have done the same thing as allibaba and apologized for forgetting the anniversary and going out with friends, at least acknowledging that it probably really upset him.  I'm willing to bet that her husband never apologized for the smashed in fridge door or for the tantrum he threw about the situation.  Totally guessing based on my personal experiences, but when something like this happens in my house, my husband never apologizes for his completely outrageous behavior. 

Allibaba... . hope everything is going OK for you.  My husband is always breaking things when he gets mad.  Sometimes the things are very expensive.  For the first several years of our marriage I used to "clean up" his messes, so to speak.  Now if he breaks something I let it sit until he deals with it.  He put a 6-inch hole in the wall of our house because he threw a huge box at it.  That hole sat there for 2 months before he finally fixed it because we were having friends over and he was embarrassed/not wanting to have to explain to anyone why there was a huge hole in the wall.  There is a big dent on our refrigerator door that's been there for about 4 months now.  I was going to try and figure out how to fix it, but decided that I want him to have to look at it every time he gets in the fridge he has to look at it.  He put that dent in the fridge because a container of yogurt fell out and spilled on the floor while he was also mad at one of the kids for something.  He punched the door causing the dent... . my kids saw it happen.  I also left it there to remind ME every day that despite the fact that there ARE good days... . the dents/damages are left behind and really don't go away.

Anyway... . I know how you feel. It's exhausting.  Hope you are doing ok.
allibaba

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »

Thanks 4now,

I just saw your message and literally started bawling my eyes out.  I'm so tired and I was really just trying to take care of myself... .  no matter how awful I seem to him.  When I am sweet, I am also perceived as awful so what incentive do I have other than just regular morals and values?

I'm not sure why I am expected to do everything.  In the 4 years, we have been married he's never done more than buy me a card.  Yesterday he bought me a card.  I always plan the dinners and the trips.  I guess that I took this on myself and that is normal in my life.  I do all the planning and also get all the blame if anything goes wrong.

He says that he's not going on the trip and that he'll call and cancel buying the boat.  I'm ok with both.  I would most certainly go on the vacation without him.  I will go without him if he decides not to go.  No question about that.  I told him to cancel his own boat Smiling (click to insert in post)  He says that he's not going to our anniversary dinner... .  and once again I will go alone if I have to.  Now he just sent me a message that he is out finding our dog a home.  I gave him what he wanted (a reaction) and sent him a message asking him to please not give my dog away.  He's not... .  he's just trying to play mind games with me.

I have spoken to our doctor about him a number of times.  I have scheduled an appt with her for him to go over his gluten test results with her but she's going to try to get him to talk about his anxiety issues.  She's on board to try to get him to open up... .  all involved believe that at a minimum they should try medications. 

nevaeh,

I totally get Val78's comments.  For a relationship with a BPD to be successful we have to rise above it... .  its the only way.  But being really, really drained its hard... .  and its not reasonable to have to carry all the weight.  I do get both sides of it.  She's trying to see it through his eyes.  Thank you for your support too... .  ITS SO VALUABLE!  And it makes me feel not alone!
hoping4hope

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 02:25:32 PM »

So, here's the thing,

Your normal imperfections will be magnified to "end of the world" proportions. Can you live with that Allibaba?

If you have forgotten what you have been through in the last couple of weeks, go read your old posts.  :)o that old technique of pretending your postings are by a stranger, what would your advice to that stranger be? It is clear from your posts you are a well-meaning person, give yourself your best advice.

Go on that vacation... . I need one myself. Smiling (click to insert in post)
allibaba

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

I know in my heart that things can't go on like they are.  I have known that since all of my stuff ended up in trash bags at the end of the driveway and he locked me out of the house a few weeks back.

hoping4hope

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »

I'm really sorry Allibaba, really.

Your act of hope, loving him, knowing the risks and going forward,

it is a special thing.  It is a glorious thing to hope and love that much.

Makes me proud to be a human being on the same planet with you.

It is also okay to walk away, for your son's sake and for your own.

It is also okay to save yourself.
allibaba

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »

Uh oh.  Here come those stupid tears again.

Thanks for affirming that its noble and not just stupid to put the effort in.

Thank you for also affirming that its ok to let go.

I have a funny feeling that he's disconnected the garage doors again and blocked my access to the garage with the generator.  I had made up my mind that if he did that... . then I'm done.  Just about to leave work to go home.  Planning on taking our 18 month old son to our anniversary dinner alone if I have to
patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »

I have a similar reaction--why was HE planning for the 18th?

The situation feels like he was looking for a reason to be mad, not that the anniversary was special to him & Allibaba ruined it.

Frankly, you probably gave him the bestanniversary present: a non-imagined basis to be angry.  As Cyril says in Breaking Away: "Maybe I will take those college admissions tests. My dad's birthday's coming up."  (His dad constantly expects him to fail so that he can "understand".
nevaeh

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »

I've been right where you are.  For many, many years I have rationalized and excused his behavior. My mantra for the past several years has been "he loves me the best that he knows how... . and that has to be enough to get through it". 

Patientandclear stated that it felt like he was looking for a reason to be mad not that the anniversary was special to him. 

Hoping4hope stated that

"Your act of hope, loving him, knowing the risks and going forward,

it is a special thing.  It is a glorious thing to hope and love that much.

Makes me proud to be a human being on the same planet with you.

It is also okay to walk away, for your son's sake and for your own.

It is also okay to save yourself."

I have been married for 18 years and with my husband for a total of 23. I pray that this works out for you.  Your son is only 18 months old.  That brings a whole other level of complexity to the situation and believe me, I get that!  You made a promise when you got married to stay together for better or worse, and you are holding up your end of the bargain. 

I hope I don't sound too critical of the situation.  I can just tell you my own experience and how after this many years I don't have any "try" left.  I tried really hard to accept my husband as he was, I have tried to keep my anger in check when he lashes out... . the only times that doesn't work is when he goes after our 12 year old son.  H started using middle son as his "punching bag", so to speak, when he was about 4 or 5.  H is emotionally abusive with that son (we actually have 3 kids - two are very easy going, middle son is very difficult to manage).  It goes in cycles but when H is in a bad mood, middle son is the one who seems to get the brunt.  H has, a few times, crossed a line to what I would call physical abuse a few times with my son and there is no amount of fear that would keep me from protecting my son and H knows that.  Last time it happened a few months ago I told him that I would not allow him to harm my child and he said he would do what he wanted... . to which I replied that if it happened again I was taking the kids and leaving.  Mind you, these were things screamed at each other. 

Sorry for the tangent... . when I read your post it reminded me of how I felt several years ago.  I hope your husband doesn't ever take his anger/aggressions out on your son, but prepare yourself that it could happen.  It is very hard being married to someone who has BPD. My H won't admit that he has any emotional issues, and refuses to go to counseling.  He actually did go to a few sessions a couple of years ago when I told him I wanted a divorce.  He was desperately trying to hold on to me and unfortunately it worked and we are still together.

You mention that you are on your way home from work... . I wonder how many days you wonder while you are driving home whether he will be in a good mood or a bad mood?  You will learn to identify triggers (I'm sure you've already identified some) that put him over the edge.  If you are like me, you obsess about eliminating those triggers to try and avoid the rages.  It's a horrible way to live because you can't control everything around you.  You especially can't control your kids and what they do or don't do, say or don't say.  The kids (especially middle son) are a huge trigger for my H and that is really really hard to deal with!  Kids don't really respect or like their dad for that reason.  I have a 15yo daughter and a 8yo son as well.  We are so happy when it is just the four of us hanging out.  When H is around it is just stressful and everyone is always on edge not knowing when dad is going to freak out about something.

Not trying to hijack your post, just sharing what your life might look like a few years down the road.

Hope your weekend goes OK.
maryy16

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »

nevaeh... .  I just wanted to echo everything you said.  I've been married for 28 years with 3 children.  Everything you say is right on the money.  I am so amazed at how someone I don't even know can write my life story.  :'(
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »

Every single one of us has the power to change our lives and circumstances!  We are not held captive by BPD behaviors or love or anything else in a chosen relationship.  We are bound by our own fears.

When we don't like something, we can try something different.  If we don't change our own ways of thinking and behaviors, how can we possibly expect other people to change? 
4now

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »

I think you have done amazing things and have tried so very, very hard.

I have thought about you and your situation and wished I could have more patience and steadfastness like you do.

You mentioned that for these rs to work we have to be the one to rise above.  Yes, that does seem to be the way it needs to work, for us to keep the peace and be the emotional leaders.  I have proven this point many times recently when I just couldn't or wouldn't hold it together.  It is too much pressure.  We are not super humans and we really can't take it all on ourselves.  I have noticed that when I don't hold it all together, that's when it all goes south.  And it goes there  quickly.  I just think this is another form of walking on egg shells.  We need to be able to make mistakes, express opinions and emotions because we are HUMAN.

I have been thinking how wonderful this board is, this whole forum. But it can be somewhat of a double edged sword.  We need to find people who identify with that we are going through and who have been there, too. Because most people don't get it.  But there comes a point when the behavior all becomes normalized.  It's not shocking and it should shock the hell out of us.  I try and remind myself what things would be like in a "normal" rs.  It's not so that I can feel badly for not having that rs, but it reminds me that this behavior is way off the charts and I really don't have to live with it.

No one thinks it's stupid to hang in there.  I get it, boy do I get it.  I am still hanging in there, but not like I was before.  The one thing I can tell you, which you probably already know, is that your strength will come in increments and when you need the strength to do what you need to do, you will have it. 

I have faith in you!

allibaba

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »

This time he cut power to the garage rooms with the breaker panel in the basement.  He didn't barricade the door though so it was easy to get in.  I didn't go to the dinner I had planned.  I knew that he wasn't going to go and I actually went so far as to get dressed and leave the house but decided that I didn't have the desire to go to dinner on my own... . so I came back and cooked dinner.

Checked the messages on his phone and he's been sending people messages that he's getting divorced and moving to costa rica.  Glad that he bothered to share with me.

Oh boy are these things tiring.  My patience is running out.

Thank you ladies for your stories.  They mean a lot to mean.  I hope that they motivate me to act while my son is young enough not to be seriously effected by his dad's behavior.

Have a good night all!
allibaba

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 04:30:50 AM »

This morning when I was making him breakfast he was throwing water bottles and slamming doors.

I stopped and walked out of the room and he said RUN AWAY LITTLE FRIGHTENED MOUSE.

It turns out that he works all weekend this weekend (makes sense he fell into a permanent bad mood on Thursday)... . follows his pattern.

He left the house this morning telling me stories of what the fencing contractor needs me to do before the sun comes up this morning (its 5:20)... . I have no idea how to do it... . and I have no idea if I am even supposed to.  The last 24 hrs have been story after story of why things I do are messed up.

He screamed as he was leaving out of the door this morning

YOU ARE MY BIGGEST REGRET.  I SHOULD HAVE NEVER MARRIED YOU.

Nice way to start a morning.  HUH

So what's the plan.  Get through today.  Pack for vacation.  He may come.  He may not.  Go on vacation with or without him.  Worry about how to get myself extricated from this hell after vacation.  The sad part is that there is absolutely no reason for me to stick around other than my messed up loyalty.  No money reasons, not even any logistical reasons.  I really do believe that we require a therapeutic separation.
allibaba

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »

I had to take our 4 dogs to the vet this morning for vaccinations in preparation for our upcoming trip.  He got home from work while I was out and said where is dog x, I didnt give you permission to move him.  I said we're all at the vet but we'll be home in 30 min.

Dog x is the dog that he's been threatening to get rid of.  He said "he better be home in 10 min or you will regret it".  I told him I was already in the office and couldnt leave.  He said "you'll be sorry ahout that."

I came home and he's smashed all of my hanging flowers and ripped out all my herbs.

He said "now maybe you'll understand feeling disrespected and ignored like I do."

Obviously I am devastated.
4now

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »

Hi,

Sorry things continue to go so badly.  He is escalating once again, and is trying his darnedest to get you riled.  This is what happened before, isn't it?  He is losing control over you, as he sees it, he doesn't get the reaction from you he is hoping for.  But this situation is damned if you do, damned if you don't.  If he gets you to blow, he will be vindicated and can be even nastier back.  If you keep your cool (which you have been doing remarkably well) he will call you a "mouse." So what's a girl to do? 

I believe this is all a very sophisticated distancing technique.  If he treats you badly enough, maybe you will be done with him.  How could anyone love him when he is being so nasty? But on the flip side of that coin, he probably has no respect for someone who won't stand up to him. I believe a lot of this behavior is compulsive and he probably has very little control over it.  Regardless, it needs to stop. 

What is going on right now reminds me of perhaps the worst series of events I experienced with my uBPDh.  It was about two years ago, ironically we had been married for eight years.  Maybe it has something to do with that.  He treated me badly, said nasty things, acted like he hated me, I don't even remember all of it.  Probably blocked it out.  This went on for a while.  Then finally I grew a backbone and just started to ignore the behavior.  I didn't have to listen to it, I didn't have to believe it. When he saw it didn't bother me, he quit the verbal abuse.  He still has episodes, often, but they don't reach this level.  I think he learned that if he left me once more, that would be it.  (The last time he wanted a separation, I let him go, and he had to ask me to come back.  I don't think he wants to do that again!)

Perhaps your h needs to see what it will be like not to have you in his life.  Not to be in his house with his son every day.  Then maybe he will see you are not the source of all his problems. 

I wish there were an easier way, but I am a firm believer in "you choose the behavior, you choose the consequence."  He may not understand and be able to predict the consequence, but he can sure connect the dots once he's living it. 

It might be good if he doesn't go on the vacation so you can get some distance and perhaps clarity. 

Sorry about your plants---so immature. You deserve more out of life!
hoping4hope

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »

Get to a safe place. By your description he does not sound rational. He sounds like he is trying to drive you away. Don't test how far he will go.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »

Allibaba, seriously... .   What are you going to do?  He's acting up like crazy.  Smashing your flowers and ripping out herbs now?  Because you took the dogs in for vaccinations.  Throwing water bottles earlier, slamming doors, screaming and telling people he's moving to Costa Rica... .

Are you still considering going on vacation with him?  What about the dogs?  Can you kennel them for the time being or have a friend watch them? 

Are you concerned about your safety?

This is not a cool situation... .  

If you want to stick it out longer with your husband, it's your business.  I don't think it's fair to subject your son and dogs to his erratic ridiculous behavior for one more minute.  They need someone to protect them.

You're devastated.  What are you going to do about that? 

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »

I had to take our 4 dogs to the vet this morning for vaccinations in preparation for our upcoming trip.  He got home from work while I was out and said where is dog x, I didnt give you permission to move him.  I said we're all at the vet but we'll be home in 30 min.

Dog x is the dog that he's been threatening to get rid of.  He said "he better be home in 10 min or you will regret it".  I told him I was already in the office and couldnt leave.  He said "you'll be sorry ahout that."

This is an odd choice of words... . Didn't give you permission to move him?  Move him from where?
allibaba

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »

He told me first thing in the morning to put dog x on the back porch.  I told him that I was in the middle of something and he'd better do it himself.  I guess he considered the instruction a mandate to make him stay on the back porch all day (its not much of a punishment) that is dog x's favorite spot.  In his head, he's having some sort of odd power struggle with me but I am not playing into it.  I won't drop everything and do what he asks just because he's in a mood. 

Thank you all for your continued support.  You are my conscious right now... .   keeping me honest.  Whenever he is triggered, he's escalating to an unacceptable level.  The more and more I think about it - we need to separate.  He's calm again today.  I wouldn't say happy, but he's definitely calm.  The dogs go into the kennel today for a week +... .   oddly I am sure that my husband can control his behavior because our son and even the dogs aren't seeing his mania (just me).  He is making a very concerted effort to drive me away and let me tell you ITS WORKING.  There is certainly a limit to how much I will take.  I left my hanging flower baskets (that have been smashed to pieces) on the front porch hanging there for the world to see.  I left the herbs that were ripped out of their pots on the back deck.  A neighbor is coming to water the flowers while I am gone (is it 'we' are gone?) and I'm leaving the destruction there for her to see.  If he ever comes back and tries to lie about what's going on... . I have a witness.

And yes, I've been recording some of the ranting and raving.  Though in my heart of hearts, I want to see my husband get help... . I'm preparing for a vicious battle that I hope never to have.  The odd part is that my husband will literally have nothing without me.  I'm his financial support and the jurisdiction where I live HEAVILY favors woman (especially with children).  Without my salary and assets (which I kept in trust completely separate from him) he  could barely afford an apartment.  He truly is in complete self destruct mode.  He sent me a message yesterday which was really odd and I think may be a clue to what is going on inside of him.

My husband suffers from PTSD from being charged and going through a trial for something really horrendous.  He was certainly falsely accused.  The woman that accused him couldn't even get the most basic facts of her story straight.  She was trying to cover up an affair that happened after he got divorced and she was still married. 

She made the first allegation 5 yrs after the incident allegedly happened.  After months and months of waiting for a trial, the woman (the sole witness) finally admitted that she lied (on the stand).  She was eventually convicted of 20 counts of fraud (unrelated) and was sent to prison.  My husband's only fault in that situation was affiliating with the wrong person.  He was never arrested or in prison and he was never even questioned about the alleged crime (bizarre and I was there for the whole situation) but the entire experience was devastating for him.  He lost his reputation.  He had trouble keeping a job.  Even his family looked at him differently.  The woman actually stalked me for a while... . (charming I know).   She was why we picked up and moved countries.  We would show up in restaurants and she would follow us there and then call the police to say that he was stalking her. 

Anyway yesterday:  he sent me a message that said "I should have just pleaded guilty and gone to prison for something that I didn't do."  After all these years, I think the PTSD is behind this.  He went to therapy for about 3 yrs but the therapist was a JOKE.  He even told the therapist that he thought that he had BPD (came to it by researching it himself) and the guy said... . "Nah you are just depressed."  The guy was a JOKE.  Before he was found innocent, I never saw any of this BPD behavior (though I am sure the BPD thinking was already there).  We had been together for a few years... . certainly long enough to have seen the behavior.  He was a successful professional making 3x the money I did (and I am also a high earning professional.  He had joint custody of his daughters from a previous marriage and was a really good father.

I have a therapist who specializes in BPD and PTSD and NPD on call and ready to step in.  I think that the only way he'll get help is if we do a therapeutic separation and he no longer has me available to vent on and blame.
allibaba

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »

I know none of the background makes his behavior acceptable, but perhaps it will help you to understand why I have been so loyal.  We've gotten through so much together... . and he is an amazing man.  I was truly proud of how he handled the trial.  He was his own witness and he was calm, intelligent and well educated because he was fighting for his life!  From the bottom of my heart, I know he can get through this.

And in case you're thinking that he may have committed the crime (since I know he demonstrated some truly crazy behaviors in my posts), he had actually had knee surgery the week before the crime supposedly happened.  Even the woman's own doctor said that he couldn't possibly injured her in the way that she said he did.  My husband had quickly realized that the woman was crazy and had ended the relationship with her.  She and he weren't even in contact at the time and he didn't see any reason for telling her that he was having knee surgery (thank god for small miracles).

It was lucky because she claimed she never had a relationship with him (which my husband was able to disprove because he kept some of their email exchanges)... . and he had documentation that he had just had serious knee surgery.  He was actually on crutches.  

He was charged without being arrested or interviewed because his brother is a high ranking police officer and she claimed that he wasn't charged because of his brother.  The attorney general had a knee jerk reaction and charged him to keep their name clean.

Again none of this excuses his current behavior, but thought it would be good background since it was the driver behind why his life fell apart.  His ex-wife was able to leave the jurisdiction shortly after the trial and since we spent almost $100K on legal fees... . he didn't have the money to fight it.  She was behind him being charged somehow because when he was charged his ex-wife showed up in court holding hands with the woman who had made the accusations.  As a result of the whole thing, he basically lost his daughters (the worst pain for a BPD... .  perceived abandonment).  His ex-wife is NPD and has since been married and divorced 4x.  So my husband has poor taste in women (not sure what that says about me).

The irony is that now he's got a wonderful life and he's self destructing it!  I say that he's got a wonderful life but he's got anxiety and depression because he's fallen so far... . and he hates the fact that I support him.  It bruises his ego badly.
maryy16

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »

I completely understand the loyalty issue and your need to protect and stay with him. We all stay and put up with way too much, but my biggest concern for you right now is the violence he is showing when he gets upset with you. Has he always been like that or is the violence something new? If it is new, then I worry that the the violence will eventually be directed at you instead of just your possessions. Maybe a break would be the best thing for you right now.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »

Whenever he is triggered, he's escalating to an unacceptable level.  The more and more I think about it - we need to separate.  

Allibaba, what happened with he and his ex and this other woman in the past, is in the past.  This is the way he's behaving now, with you... .  with your child and dogs.  Perhaps you're getting the brunt of his mania, all in all though, everyone suffers because of it.  PTSD, BPD, NPD... . none of that matters right now.  His behavior is disturbing.  

You can still be proud of how he handled himself in the past during his trial, while protecting yourself in the present and future.  I don't know if this is how that whole dramatic/traumatic time felt to you, but it sounds like it was you and him against the world!  Stand by your man, type of thing.

This is now.  What he's showing you is who he is now, today.  He's escalating and into what, is anybody's guess.  No amount of boats, vacations, on-call BPD therapists, leaving smashed up planters or shriveling herbs laying around is going to change him.  He has to want to change and by sticking around you're telling him he doesn't really need to.

He needs serious help.  Help that's being hindered when he has free reign to run roughshod over his kingdom.  

As I've said, you are not the only one taking the brunt of his wrath.  Everyone suffers.  

What is your biggest fear?

Think about F.O.G.  Without those components, what's your relationship made of?  

Be safe  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest