Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:25:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is sleep a struggle?  (Read 419 times)
bluebell7

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 23, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »

Hi-  I was wondering if others struggle to sleep at night?  This has been difficult for me, for about 10 years.  Got so bad that I had given up on trying to get a good night's sleep.  Lately I've been doing a better job of facing my stresses-and learning about BPD.  So now my sleep is improving. 

I forgot how different life is when I'm not sleep deprived.  My mood is better and I'm much more able to deal with my BPDd.  Feeling much more hopeful.  Wishing you all a good night's sleep!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »

My pattern is to wake up early morning and be awake or very light sleep the rest of the night. Even with a mild sleep aide so can go to sleep. Rarely wake up feeling rested. Have struggled with this for many many years. Attribute it to busy mind, anxious thinking. Probably not the best plan to be here at bedtime. THis is my biggest chunk of quiet time.

I also try to avoid napping during the day. That really wrecks havoc on night sleep. Sometimes I am so tired if I sit quiety for more than a few minutes, the next thing I know I am waking up a bit later sitting somewhere. So far haven't fallen from my chair, though is embarrassing when sitting in a waiting room! Esp. when it is gd and her T waking me up.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:52:15 AM »

Hi bluebell

Glad to know you are getting a handle on the sleep issue.  It is very important to get enough rest so that we can bravely face another day on our journey.

Staying in the moment and being mindful of our thoughts and emotions is important to put our worried minds to rest.  When the moment is one of chaos we can meditate and allow ourselves to let it go until tomorrow.

Here is some information on the concepts and practices of Mindfulness... .a component of Dialectical Behavior Therapy that so many of us have seen benefits from using. 

I hope that today finds you well rested and ready for whatever comes your way.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
pessim-optimist

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »

Hello bluebell,

I have read that problems with sleep can be also a sign of depression. On top of the stress, you have probably dealt with lots of sadness... .

It is good to hear that you are addressing the root of the problem - that will help the most.

Some things that I do to sleep good are: getting enough regular exercise (to tire myself out and also to release endorphines - they elevate the mood), not talking/thinking about problems and stressful situations before I go to bed, puprosefully do activities that calm me down, if I get stressed out. Not drinking too much caffeine during the latter part of the day.

Wishing you lots of good sleep!
bluebell7

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »

Thanks for all of the good advice.  It's so easy to feel isolated. 

I was dealing with depression a few years ago, had plenty of reasons to be anxious.  Even though I've been working through issues, those experiences are still a part of me.

It takes practice to be mindful of what's really going on with my daughter, so I'm still working on that!  But staying focused on the role I want to have --helps me sleep better than when I was in the dark and fighting against it.  Exercise helps, so creativity and accomplishing things for a change!

Long periods of sleep deprivation, high stress and shattered relationships changed me.  Finding new skills/habits is helping with   sleep.  Adjusting my lifestyle and thinking helps me react better- then I can sleep.  For so long things seemed hopeless and I focused on problems all of the time.  I think I'm on the road to where I want to be, even though there are many though days ahead... .So I'll keep all of your advice in mind.  Thanks again!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest