Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:15:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to this forum  (Read 372 times)
Mish66

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »

Hi I have posted under the new to forum board, but then found this board. Our 15 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with BPD (unofficially - we have been told they don't like to diagnose under 18). She has 5 year history of depression, 3 year history of anxiety, 3 attempts suicide, cutting, taking drugs, risk taking. She was raped at 13 which of course has escalated her depression and anxiety. She was seeing a counsellor for a year who was great but then the counsellor had to tell us she was using drugs (we had no idea - feel so stupid now for not knowing). So now she refuses to see another counsellor again, refuses to take medication and self medicates with weed. She has also developed psoriasis, which has made her depression so much worse. She abuses us every day and I feel so exhausted and depressed from it all. She has no friends (I guess she has treated them like she treats us). I really don't know what to do. She says smoking weed stops her from killing herself - I hate it. Its so unfair on our other kids too.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »

Hi, Mish66  

I'm very glad you found your way to the Parenting Board, and I want to tell you that I'm very sorry for all the trauma you, your daughter and family are dealing with regarding her BPD. You are among friends, here... .we all know what you are feeling, and how difficult it is to watch our child seem to self-destruct.

But, there is hope, and it starts when you click on the links to the right-hand margin and read about the Tools, The Lessons, and how to communicate better with your daughter. When you read the threads by the parents here you will get a better idea of how it all works, and we will be here to answer your questions and give you support.

Your daughter's history sounds really sad... .Depression, Anxiety, Self-harming and Suicidal Ideations, Drug Abuse, and having been raped at 13; I feel very bad for her, and truly hope she will be able to get the help she needs to begin the recovery process that can help her be well. Many of us have found that when we learned the communication tools of Validation, S.E.T. and DEARMAN, we were able to de-escalate our child's rages and defiant behaviors and help them realize that they needed help, and then they got it. It can be done... .I only wish you and your family the best  

BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »

Our DD14 is similar to yours in many ways - suicide ideation and attempts, cutting, depression, anxiety, panic disorder, unstable relationships and eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia).  I second looking at the tools.  I don't know about the other two mentioned yet, but I have just begun reading about and trying to practice validation and I have to say, even in the short period of time we have been trying to consciously validate, it has already begun to help.  Its almost like she is already starting to understand we are on her side.  Our DD does take her medications and that does help, but its possible with a little validation yours may begin to be more cooperative.  You and you family are in my prayers!
crazedncrazymom

Relationship status: Married 19 years

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »

Welcome  Hi Mish:  Your dd has a history similar to my dd16 (aside from the drug abuse.  She got high once and spent the night on the bathroom floor).  I am so sorry your family is going through this, but very happy you found your way here.  We have lots of skills that we learn in order to keep a situation from getting out of control.

The links to the right are extremely helpful for getting started with a new life view.  I have found them immensely helpful.  I've been practicing these skills for about a year now. At this point even at my angriest I am able to keep things from escalating completely out of control.

How old are your other kids?  How are they handling her rages and outbursts?  Are you married? 

I hope you are taking care of yourself.  You can't help anyone if you don't help yourself first.  Do you have any coping skills for you?

Keep learning and keep posting.  It can save your sanity.  I know this place saved me.

-crazed
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest