Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 12, 2024, 07:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to explain divorce to son  (Read 355 times)
ugghh

« on: December 03, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »

Have 3 kids s16,s18,d20

D20 is off to college and finally starting to thrive and learning to establish boundaries with uBPDw.

After latest chaotic Thanksgiving (I decided to stay on the couch from here on out), I have decided I am just done - whether she leaves or I leave after 25 years I am just worn out.  She has pulled out all of the stops and is in extreme dysregulation alternating between threatening divorce, begging me to stay, offering to move out to give me space.  While of course playing the victim to her Facebook supporters.

S16 gets it, simply stating Mom is crazy. 

My challenge is S18 who is dear, sweet child who despite his man size still sees the world with the simple innocence of a child.   I have tried to gently lead him to understand that there is much more peaceful existence than he has known his whole life.  He says all families have problems and why can't I just work harder with uBPDw? Basically the why now? I know he is scared of change and I am sure feels the need to protect his Mom.  How can I explain to him that I am out of gas and see no hope because of the BPD elephant in the room?

I don't hate her I just can't live with her anymore.

ugghh

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »

I should add that as support for his argument that I should try harder he points to efforts by uBPDw in the last 3 days to things like take her foot high piles of clothes off the dining room table and actually put them away.  This happens about once every year or two and we have something resembling a table for a few weeks.

How do I look him in the eye and explain that this is not the norm?

Maybe I am trying to explain too much but I am also concerned about leaving too much to the abstract and creating an opening for the poisoning to begin.   Sadly this is the same son who had to call EMS on his mom a year ago as she threatened to swallow a bottle of pills.  I cannot stand how she manipulates him.
momtara

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:39:30 AM »

You have to tread carefully here so you are not seen as being the one who is poisoning him, or beating up on his mom.

I knew that things that my bipolar mother did were not normal, but I still defended her because she was weak and loving and my dad was strong.  The facts didn't matter - she was my mom.  So you just have to be diplomatic, like, "I know you love her, and she's a sweet mom, but she is causing problems x, y and z"
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

My son was very accommodating, very non-assertive. The type to protect the underdog. Meaning, like me.

Then I left. Leaving gave him strength to stand up to bullies in his own life. He's in middle school now, and he finally understands what it means to be assertive. By leaving, I think it gave him a way to sort out the whole victim-abuser-aggression-assertiveness spectrum. Nothing I said mattered, I needed to model it.

Your son is at risk of finding someone just like his mom. If you choose to have boundaries and take care of yourself, and model for him what it means to have self-respect, he will have that as an example in his own life.

By wanting you to stay, and covering for his mother, he is saying her behavior is ok.

We repeat this stuff  :'(

I can't get over how much I have repeated my family script. It wasn't until I left an abusive marriage and got into counseling, and got S12 into counseling, that the script started to shift.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest