Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 10:25:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does every little decision have to be a BATTLE?  (Read 403 times)
momtara

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 09, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »

Thanks.  Just venting.  I'll feel better!   snowman

Trying to pick a parent coordinator, found a good one, of course exH rejects her.  I am going to work on it though.  Often he will come around, but it takes days of convincing and pointing out my reasons every time.  Today I got a headache right after i read his email.

Also will move to a smaller apartment across town, hate to do it, but need to save money.  Have to find a gentle way to tell him so he doesn't find a reason to object.  He can't legally object, right?  (We have joint legal custody, but I don't think it applies to moving less than a mile away?)  The new place is perfectly fine, safe area, but on a higher floor so he may say it's a fire hazard.  (sixth floor, not terrible).  I didn't want a high floor but there's a limit to affordable 2 br's around here.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:55:04 AM »

He has no say in where you live!

Joint legal in my state is only about decisions that have legal implications. So health care decisions, education decisions. Even though my state is conservative, joint legal doesn't even apply to religious choices.

Where you live would only impact him if he had to drive a long distance that interfered with his ability to see his kids.

Breathe.
DontPanic

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »

It was my experience that my ex picked on *Everything* I did. even things that were completely innocent. here's a for instance:

"He sent our child to school in his pajamas on friday"

my response:

Your honor it was Pajama day as noted by my sons teacher...

Its a hard way to live to be careful of everything you do even when it is innocent...

livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »

It was my experience that my ex picked on *Everything* I did. even things that were completely innocent. here's a for instance:

"He sent our child to school in his pajamas on friday"

my response:

Your honor it was Pajama day as noted by my sons teacher...

Its a hard way to live to be careful of everything you do even when it is innocent...

BPD sufferers tend to capitalize on fear, guilt and obligation -- yes, it's good to document and be careful about your choices so you don't experience blow back in court. But it's also good to get a handle on our fear, guilt and obligation issues. Otherwise we are helping ourselves feel bad when it isn't necessary.

Breathe.
Nope

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »

If the move meant switching schools he might be able to raise that as an objection. if the new place is in the same school system he's out of luck unless he has substantial reason to believe the housing is unsuitable or unsafe. LnL is right, all these battles are just a form of control so it's better to roll your eyes than get scared.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »

Sometimes, a good approach in these situations is to offer 3 choices. "I have found 3 PCs to work with our case. Please let me know which one is your first pick and second pick. I can check to see if first pick PC is available. If not, we will go with your second pick, etc."

That way you get to vet three good candidates, and he will be curtailed in the number of instances he can obstruct you. Plus, you are offering him choices, telling him how you are going to proceed. In general, I don't ever ask N/BPDx to do something without having an action attached to it. For example, "If I have not heard from you by Friday, I will make the decision."

Or you put the action back on him, "Please find 3 PCs that you would like me to consider. If I do not hear from you by Friday, I will make a decision about which PC we use."

Breathe.
momtara

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:41:17 PM »

Giving him three just allows me to shoot my wad at once, though.  He rejects my top 3, then I'm out of luck.  If I give him one and he rejects that one, he feels more obligated to pick my number 2, and then if he won't, then he goes for number 3 and feels he won.    If I gave him all 3, he'd reject them all.

Gosh, way too much thought goes into all of this!  Anyway, turns out he's wililng to see my first choice IF she's available on a specific day next month.  Grrrr!  But I am making slow progress. 
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »

Giving him three just allows me to shoot my wad at once, though.  He rejects my top 3, then I'm out of luck.  If I give him one and he rejects that one, he feels more obligated to pick my number 2, and then if he won't, then he goes for number 3 and feels he won.    If I gave him all 3, he'd reject them all.

Gosh, way too much thought goes into all of this!  Anyway, turns out he's wililng to see my first choice IF she's available on a specific day next month.  Grrrr!  But I am making slow progress. 

You know him best, so apply whatever strategy works. The main thing that works for me is making a closed offer. "Please pick this or that. If I don't hear from you by time/date then I will do xyz. If none of these choices work, then we will go with abc."

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest