Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 05:28:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: paranoid personality and BPD?  (Read 417 times)
Seneca

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: January 24, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »

okay, figured out that my h was diagnosed (after 3 sessions) with PPD. I can see that he meets all the criteria, but so much is left out of that diagnosis as well. anyone have experience or thoughts on co-morbid PPD and BPD? 
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »

Interesting.  I was under the assumption that a bit of paranoia or obsessing over an irrational "reality" was part of BPD.  For example, the paranoia of us leaving them when they have no evidence that we are. 

Does your husband use drugs or alcohol?  I had a ex that I suspected is NPD, and when she smoked pot, weird paranoid thoughts came into her brain, and when she drank, she acted on them.  Once, she thought her 11 year old son was conspiring in his own kidnapping, so she shoved him around the house trying to get him to admit his wrongdoing.  And she said she saw my "other girlfriend" in a "vision" and could describe her perfectly, and when I responded that I had no other girlfriend, she would call me a loser for not cheating on her.

My current BPD gf definitely has some paranoia, but it's not outlandish stuff.  Just a lot of fear and anxiety over things she has no evidence for. 

Seneca

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »

yes, paranoid ideations are a part of BPD. i am sure that this was not the proper diagnosis, but it will all come out in due time. the only reason proper diagnosis matters is because he would be able to get proper treatment. again, he does tick all the boxes for PPD, but what about all the other boxes he is ticking? i suppose without going to the head shrinker myself and telling him about the projections, splitting, rages/ mood swings, "punishing", silent treatments, self involvement, hypersensitivity, alcohol abuse, and reckless behavior he will never know about them. 

it has been reported to me that the doctor and his tests show that he is high anxiety, high paranoia, and socially inept. he can't behave properly in public, nor can he accurately read facial expressions or body language. neutrality is read as negativity, and everything is seen as self referential. again - all symptoms of BPD.
thicker skin

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:50:35 AM »

This is one that's crossed my mind... . But I know that I'm nowhere near qualified enough to say, either way. You, like me, may never know. Depending on the psychiatrist, your husband may himself never know. With these conditions, keeping the trust of the patient and treating the symptoms outweighs diagnosing them. Then there are spectrums... . You can have a mild case or severe case of most things... . Perhaps it's true of the traits too?

Out of interest, when you say he's socially inept, how would you describe that?

TS  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest