Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 08:57:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just watched a movie called "A sister's nightmare".  (Read 627 times)
somuchlove
Formerly " t6450"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 02, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »

Has anyone seen it?  It has a lady that is diagnosed as not bi polar but BPD.  wow,  she has killed a couple people and deals with a lot of hostility.  When her sister explains the diagnosis it is close but the violence is scary.  I am not sure I have ever seen or heard of the behaviors that are shown in that movie.  Perhaps I am wrong.  I know, it is a MOVIE.  Just thinking is that what someone might think is real or is it really the way it is for some.

sorry I know it has been a long time since i have been on this site.  Am trying to catch up a little while I have the time.  This is a special place for me with all the wonderful support I have gotten her.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »

Hi, somuchlove... . Did you see that movie on TV? It actually sounds like it's a "thriller" or horror movie. Or, was it really a documentary or biography? Anyhow, I have an adult son (36) who was diagnosed with BPD, and though he would dysregulate and get overly emotional and angry a lot, before his therapy and treatments, he was never overly hostile in a dangerous or violent way. We were never harmed or afraid of him, ever.

My other son's wife is most likely undiagnosed BPD, and is a very difficult person to deal with a lot of the time, but learning what I've learned on this site has helped my relationship with her so that she hasn't raged at me for many months now. And we seem to be navigating this relationship to the point that I don't get nervous or fearful of dysregulation on her part anymore. She's never been violent or anything but scarily raging in the past.

My Mother-In-Law is also most likely undiagnosed BPD, and she has been violent in the past... . When her 5 kids were young, she would chase them around with a broom or something when angered. Sounds funny, but actually they were terrified by her uncontrolled raging and anger. She never really hurt any of her kids in a physical way; they were all injured emotionally, though, and most of them have BPD traits now, at the very least.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are people with BPD who are violent and probably the fodder for movie thrillers or even horror stories. But not all of them 

trytrytry

Relationship status: I'm remarried to Mr . Wonderful. Together 10 yr. now.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »

Did the movie actually say the words BPD?  This is the kind of thing that makes advocacy for our mentally ill loved ones so difficult.  Most individuals w/ mental illness are hurting too much themselves to even consider hurting anyone else other than the verbal abuse they can hurl.   I know that is true of my BPDD 27.
somuchlove
Formerly " t6450"

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »

Yes,  it was a movie on TV.  It is fictional.  Yes they talked of the ladies sister and as she was explaining the problems with her sister when she was young and now over 25 I think she said, my sister is not bi polar, she has a mental disorder called BPD.   She went on to describe the symptoms of this.  Some were very much on and some were really not,  I thought way above normal BPD.  I do realize that they need drama etc for movies but thought WOW, how sad for those that had BPD in their lives of were diagnosed with it. 
pessim-optimist

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »

Did the movie actually say the words BPD? 

Movies can be so confusing. I specifically remember watching some fiction on TV, where they talked about someone being bi-polar, and in the next sentence they said "BPD"... .  

somuchlove - I am not sure what the answer is to your question... . But I would look at it this way: there are people who are technically mentally healthy that get violent. So, why not someone who has BPD?

It is possible, but I am not aware of any studies that would suggest pwBPD to be more likely to be violent... .
Eclaire5

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »

Yeah, I agree. They might rage much more than other people but they are not violent by nature. There are some people with sociopathic behavior that could have some BPD traits, and those are the dangerous ones because they have no conscience. BPDs mainly harm themselves by their self-destructive behavior. sociopaths harm other people.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest