Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 16, 2024, 12:49:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 21BPDD and grandchild  (Read 400 times)
reclaimed1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: m 25 yrs

« on: March 14, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

Hi All -

Today has been tough and would greatly appreciate someone messaging me or sending me in the right direction, if this topic has already been addressed.

Our 21 BPD is back to drugs (her BF let us know this morning, and he is concerned for her and the child) and she has a 1 yr old.

We called local law enforcement today to search her car (where BF said they were), but they didn't find anything. We told her rehab or police, and she chose police. Oh, the drama...

DD and Grandbaby live with us (well, they did this morning... ). But we have rules. Honestly, if it weren't for that sweet baby that we look after most nights while mom is 'in school', we would tell her to leave.

Suddenly I realize that I don't have a question on the board. She is not a child. But she has a child.

I just need to vent.

Thanks for being a place I can come and people nod their heads and understand this chaos and disruption.  

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
TopsyTurvy

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »

Hi Reclaimed1

Sorry you have had such a tough day. It must be frustrating to get the news that your dd is back on drugs. I can relate to you wanting to tell her to leave but holding back because of your grandchild.  It gets complicated when grandchildren are involved, doesn't it?

My daughter is 25 and has an addiction to pain pills. She and her son used to live with us and there were many times when I would have asked her to leave if it were not for the grandson. I don't have any great words of wisdom but wanted you to know that I understand what you are going through.

I hope she will reconsider going into rehab. Do you think maybe her boyfriend could help encourage her to seek help. We finally had to tell our daughter that she had to get help or she would have to move out and that we would pursue custody of her son.

It's a hard spot to be in. I am sorry you are going through this. I wish you and your dd the best.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »

Hi, reclaimed1, and you fit right in on this Board; lots of us parents here have adult children with BPD and the troubles that are endemic to that disorder. My own son with BPD is 37 years old, so don't worry about being able to use us as a sounding board and support system.

So, since the police didn't find drugs in her car, is she still living with you? Did she leave for some reason (anger? Resentment? Guilt?)? Where is she now? We do have an Article on Helping a loved one with BPD seek treatment that could help you help her... .

Please keep us updated on your situation with your daughter and grandchild; maybe we can help you in a way that makes things better for all of you, reclaimed1 

reclaimed1

Relationship status: m 25 yrs

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:37:21 AM »

Thank you Topsy Turvy and Rapt Reader - appreciate the support from a like-minded group. 

I have been lost in Oz. Sorry for the silence, have been trying to find the yellow brick road out. Actually, I have prayed a lot for guidance. To cope, I go to the gym after work. Taking a tough Strike class or Tabata has been a sanity saver for me. Otherwise I would get a headache with all this stress. Grandbaby goes to the childcare (LOVES it - they ADORE her). Have not been on bpdfamily - sorry.

Really, though, family events in the cycle have worsened. At times, DH and I can joke about it, but this past month, it's not been so funny.

Have had another police call-out, as I found her asleep (completely baked) and burning incense. I had the pot in my hand and she still denied it. Holding it for a friend. Screaming, threatening. Big episode. The baby was in her crib, awake, when I came home to all that. She then has baby in her arms, baby is then screaming. DD gives me baby (DD is pretty out of it) and she gets on phone with DH. He is in the middle of his work day as well, and is out of state on business, trying to calm her down. And she says we treat her like she is 15, by the way.

So I call police. DH and I had been talking and he said to call (he overheard DD and the baby screaming etc) I have the weed in a bottle, in my hand. The police told me that there is not much they can do since it's possession in a home (no search warrant), and said we could evict them. They told her to stop messing around, and they would start a CPS file on the grandchild. But the cops mentioned to me, separately, that our home is a shangri-la and the baby shows no signs of neglect. He admitted, "There are just a lot of deadbeat parents. I see them every day. And you as a grandparent are in a pickle." Cop and I both stood there, shaking our heads. As grandparents, we have to put up with the for the sake of this precious angel, the one smiling at me and offering me Cheerios from her highchair.

DD stays because she is in Cosmetology School at night. She will finish in December.

Then last week, I noticed she is out of her meds (prozac, adderall). Adderall gone a week early. But I found tiny white pills in her nightstand, without a prescription. I ask her about them, since grandbaby can get to them possibly. Big episode. Blahblahblah.

Last weekend, all our family had an event. Her sisters, who are near her age, are unaware of her current status. They are away at college and I am not dumping this crap on them. Well, they BOTH asked us if she was high. She was off in the bathroom an excessive amount of time, and talked non-sequencially the entire visit. It was obvious the answer was YES.

So the next day, knowing she had a doc appt on Monday, DH called the family doc. Family doc does not know of BPD diagnosis (Background: we moved here from out of state, the diagnosis was only classified as a mood disorder back in our previous state. Pysch there said that at 17yo, she would not want to label DD as a Pers Disorder diag yet. But psych back in home state advised that I prepare for a long journey, because DD is in fact BPD. She knew family history, etc.). Family doc needed to know she is out of meds but we are suspicious of drug use. Doc uncharacteristically abrupt in her response to DH, due to privacy laws. But at the actual appt, she is tough on DD. She tells DD that Dad called (thanks - another episode). Doc says, I am sure you are clean. DD says 'Of course'. So DD takes a drug test. DD comes home, angry, announcing that she is clean. I told her,":)D, that's not a pregnancy test. They will send the specimen to the lab." That news was a bit of a surprise   

DH is such a good and logical 'counselor' - he is able to get to the bottom of things in a way that is sensible, rational, and caring. His main points in this most recent conversation after the Family Doc visit were 1-We are not trying to take her baby away (her accusation) And 2-We are concerned and do not want to see DD in a position where her behavior causes the baby to be at risk. If it were just her in the home, we would have thrown her out awhile ago. She is aware that she stays because of baby.

We are concerned for her, beyond what we can see in her free time. After school ends at 10pm, she is usually unaccountaed for til 12:30am. I have left out some smaller lying episodes, for the sake of time.   But that is a portion of the situation, as she is in school M-F eves. She is drama - always has been. Probably not the best career path for her emotionally, but she truly has that creative flair and is talented. If she survives this high-risk behavior, she could make something of this career!

We have never met this BF of hers. He is older than her, clean and responsible, but she has been with him since the fall. And she LIVES with us. She told us it is a "day-to-day" relationship, but when BF and DH spoke on the phone, BF is completely committed to her. That is, IMHO, the 'her' she has shown him.  She's keeping all these worlds rather separate, still.

Since the doc visit, of course, she has snapped back into Functioning mode. Back on meds. Just texted me to meet for lunch.

It's only been about 24 hours in Functioning mode.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Have a great day, boardmembers. Thanks for listening.

jellibeans

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:29:40 PM »

dear reclaimed1

I am glad she is back in function mode! I think this is rather typical of pwBPD... . they seem to do well for a while then go off on the rails and come back again. I find it so unsettling and I feel I get sucked into a false sense of security... . I really try to stay in the middle as much as possible... . don't be too excited about improvements and don't get too down about when things go wrong... . I am glad things turned around Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »

reclaimed1

Just want to say welcome to the parents board. My BPDDD is almost 28. My dh and I have custody of our gd. She is almost 9, in 3rd grade. It has been an adventure. I am feeling better and better - makes 'adventure' a true statement for today. Our DD lived with us when gd was born, along with the transient 'daddy'. We have been involved in gd's life from the beginning - mornings and evenings for about 7 months, then took over full care at 9 months. Gained custody, with help of the 'daddy', at 18 months. Otherwise it would have been an expensive legal battle. I think we would have won. Very grateful for the dad convincing DD to voluntarily sign a custody stipulation. The judge made it permanent - DD still angry it was not temporary. She has a long battle with drugs and resisting treatment - for drugs and mental health issues.

There is a long long story here - another child - foster care and adoption, a short marriage, DUI's, homelessness... .

The tools and lessons gave me sanity when my life was totally insane. There are also some good books, esp. "Overcoming BPD" by Valerie Porr. There are lots of grandparents on this board dealing with situations very similar to yours.

Keep coming back to let us know how things are going. Protect that beautiful little gd as much as you can. It is worth the effort.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest