Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:14:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is crazy?  (Read 422 times)
Finished
formerly "ABD Attractor", "Circus Topper", and "checkmate"

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: January 21, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »

I've been really struggling with this lately. It's too easy to just write off my ex's behavior under the banner of "crazy". Mentally ill seems too mild compared to what we dealt with. A psychologist friend of mine said they are "bat___" crazy. But truthfully, crazy just doesn't seem to sum up all of adequately. A single word doesn't seem to be enough to encompass the totality of it all.

I think part our difficulties in dealing with and understand the relationship and the aftermath is that words just aren't enough to completely comprehend everything.

How many times have you tried to explain your ex's behaviors and your friends have offered you alternative reasons, but deep down, you knew you were right? How many times as you are explaining things and you either sound crazy or feel crazy yourself? You ended up doubting yourself?

The words just seem to be inadequate for the experience.

marbleloser

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

I'm lucky in that I have awesome friends and even made some new friends because of "the relationship". I never knew how many people (and this has me tearin up to say this) cared for me.I mean REALLY cared for me. So much that some "keep an eye out" for me. That's a hell of a a feelin when you know you're friends have your back.Literally.

I did have one or two acquaintances that kinda looked at me like "wth are you talkin about?" I had to explain alot of behaviour due to circumstances.

I also had some friends that gave me the "how did you NOT see the crazy?"

All in all, without the support I've had,I don't know where I'd be.Most of my friends helped me put the pieces of the puzzle together.Sometimes I got too much information, too quickly, and that sent me over the edge.

I didn't really see crazy.Maybe because she hid it from me or maybe I saw it and dismissed it because I was getting my "fix" from "the relationship". I always thought of "crazy" as a psychopath or someone delusional and out of touch with reality completely.I only know that this poor soul I loved has some serious issues and is tormented by whatever it is that's going on in her head.She never would tell me what it was,but it ate at her all the time.A constant "something" in her head ,day and night ,that she needs to escape from and does all she can to distract herself from it.

When I had my breakdown,I got just a taste of what it must be like.It ain't pretty at all.
Finished

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »

I'm beginning to wonder if focusing on the "mental illness" is just confusing.

It might be better for us to focus on

What is desireable and undesireable behavior for ourselves and for those around us?

What makes us happy and fufilled?

If it doesn't fit these criteria then it's not for us.

A friend of mine says that we all find people who fit our own level of crazy ... .Scary thought LOL

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:59:26 PM »

WHEN PEOPLE TREAT YOU POORLY you have the right to walk away.  Expect people who treat you badly to keep treating you badly, so hold them responsible for how they treat you and show them that they won't hurt you again by turning your back like a wall. This sends a message that their behavior is not OK. Hold yourself responsible for how much psychic energy you expend on the closure as well as the reasons for the closure.  Some people are only in our lives for this reason- to establish healthier functioning.

Excerpt
What is desireable and undesireable behavior for ourselves and for those around us?

Finished, If a former partner is indirect in their communication, wouldn’t every single move of theirs be open for interpretation after the break-up? And if you struggle with ADHD, wouldn’t that cause allot of distraction for you as you try to get ahead of every passive aggressive move? It’s like a perfect fit for obsession and not a healthy one. Prescription: You block their access to you and force yourself to refrain from all websites that your former partner is on. Now, the battle is with your ADHD.

Closure is an action word - you take action by closing the access off to any further opportunity for this person to hurt you.  No contact is your final interaction.  The person left to deal with is... .yourself.

No contact means getting away from the computer if it causes you to obsess and seek out former places where you once engaged each other.  Wear a rubber band on your wrist and snap it hard when you find yourself back into old habits of googling or searching. Your overall goal is to move on from an involvement. Staying involved, (even in malignant hope) doesn’t allow you to move on from fantasy.  Fantasy is daydreaming, that one day this will all be well again and you'll be back together. If you don't wish the fantasy- then you'll need to grieve the ending and all fantasies have endings. All Hollywood movies have endings too. A really good story can come out of a tragedy and become a "feel good" saga. (There's no need for a sequel in a feel good saga.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post))

If there is something that keeps you in a magnetic pull toward this person in a repetitious compulsion- to repeat and re-do because you feel you are to blame- try to pinpoint why.  Then try to pinpoint when you first felt these feelings. But don’t stay hooked and keep protesting about the failed relationship.  These feelings go deeper than this last relationship- and that's where you need to go- to the repressed memories.

Sooner or later we all learn the difference between what we can change and what we cannot.  The past is the past. The past is gone. What we have now is new information that we never had previously in our lives. We are the sum of all of our choices. Remember, the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  Now's the time for bravery and change- and with that comes depression and fear. It's only natural. Let it happen.  It will be your greatest accomplishment.

The best you can hope for is that someday you will find peace with this journey you made with this person, you will see the ways that the closing of doors lead to the opening of others, and you will admire your commitment to try and love this person, and yet ask the question why you were willing to love in such a way that you were willing to turn against yourself.  Now it's time to be your new best friend (yes, alone) and step forward with clarity and self soothing.  It will get better, I promise.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Finished

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »

Keep in mind that I'm really exploring "crazy" on this thread as so many of us describe our ex's as crazy but when we look at our own actions many of our actions are similar as well.

We toss around the term but what does it mean? What is it in reality?

Finished, If a former partner is indirect in their communication, wouldn’t every single move of theirs be open for interpretation after the break-up? And if you struggle with ADHD, wouldn’t that cause allot of distraction for you as you try to get ahead of every passive aggressive move? It’s like a perfect fit for obsession and not a healthy one. Prescription: You block their access to you and force yourself to refrain from all websites that your former partner is on. Now, the battle is with your ADHD.

Yes, it was a perfect fit. There are some other things which I will never discuss on this site that played a part in our relationship so please believe me when I say I have a good grasp on much of what happened. However, I was not obsessed. Many with ADHD hyperfocus and the dynamic that you are describing fed into my hyperfocus.

I'm curious about the casual use of "crazy" ... .

It's kinda like how we use "love" in this society.

We say:

I love potato chips

I love snow

I love this tv show

I love this person

etc ... .

We have one word that means too many things ... .The Greeks had many words for love because there are many types of love ... .It's our lack of specifity in our language that creates part of the confusion we all frequently have dealt with.

I'm wondering how we truly put all of this into language that explains what happened. The more structure we can provide through discussion/words, the better our understanding is.

Changingman

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Daughter 15, Son 14

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:01:55 AM »

Beautiful

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest