Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 24, 2024, 07:15:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She needs more help  (Read 423 times)
kellygirl601

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 21, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »

Hello-

My daughter is 21, on SSI and struggling out on her own.  She is getting therapy through a county program and I know it is no where near enough.  She has been to psychs and therapists forever.  Now that she is an adult, I have no control over it.  She gets so upset knows nothing about getting more help or she'll tell me she's getting a case manager, or maybe that is who she sees, she doesn't know.  All I know is she needs MORE.  She texts me at work and tells me she's at the end of her rope, she doesn't know what to do.  I get it-she doesn't work and has nothing to do!  Any ideas of what I can do to get her more services?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
chooselove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »

Would she be open to faith based services?  Our community has several that are set up for free counseling and weekly workshops. They separate the men from the women and have trained counselors. Another one offers licensed therapists at very low sliding scale rates.  While they are faith-based, they do not push religion on anyone but there are sometimes positive prayer/singing before and after the sessions, which I always found uplifting.  It would at least give her an ongoing outlet and she'd receive compassionate listening for little to no cost.
hermama

Relationship status: married 30 yrs

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »

Hi kellygirl,

what about local support groups? I don't know where you're located, but in my location one can sometimes find good support groups that are free offered through the local chapter of the national mental health associations (like NAMI) or some are offered through hospitals.  I think with what I've discovered lately I would first of all contact the nearest mental health organization and ask what kind of help is available for someone in her situation and with her level of need for care.

best wishes to you.   
madmom

Relationship status: Married over 30 years

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

Why not help her find some good online resources/support group. I think finding this one has been an awesome experience for me, maybe there is something out there for her also.  I believe there are even some links from this site.
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:01 PM »

Hey, kellygirl601 

The links below are what tr is mentioning for your daughter to find some online support, if she's having problems finding (or accepting) help in your area:

Resources for BPD Sufferers

BPD Forums at Psych Central

Healing From BPD.org

Recovery Realm

DBT Self Help

I hope you/she might finding something that will be beneficial for her 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest