Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 22, 2024, 09:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a note on silent treatment  (Read 895 times)
Jonie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 14, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »

-
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:59:54 AM by Jonie » Logged
Narellan

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:36:12 AM »

Hi Jonie. I agree with your take on this. I see my exBPD in the same light. Often over nothing he would just back off and go silent. Usually for a week or two. Once I broke the silence and text him " I understand you don't want to talk to me. I just want to let you know I had a great time with you. Take care" he instantly rang me and said " stop thinking so much. Everything's fine. Do you want to go out tonight" and we went on as though nothing had happened. 

My exBPD panics and runs as soon as we get too emotionally intense. It's the push pull cycle. I believe he goes into " flight" mode when he feels overwhelmed emotionally. Then I get nothing. NC. Silent treatment.

It's over with him now. This time we agreed to be friends and then he's given me silent treatment for 3 months. I found out he was pursuing my friend behind my back and trying to hook up with her. I've been through 3 months of hell dealing with this. It's been devastating.

Last week he came to my door. I wasn't home and he hasn't attempted to contact me again. But for me it's over. The silent treatment is psychologically so

Damaging. ( not to mention trying to shag my best friend. Ex best friend now)

I do believe he's ashamed of himself and so he should be.

It's awful to not know whether you're in a relationship or not isn't it?

Peace 
BlondeRunner

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »

Hi Jonie! Hi Narellan!

Jonie, I love how you wrote "(ex?)upwBPD". I'm currently at one months total silence from my dBPDexbf and I was often questioning early on whether he was my ex or not but I figured I would have to take that decision upon myself and I have. As you said, Narellan, "It's awful to not know whether you're in a relationship or not isn't it?" It is. It's destructive and totally infuriating so I had to decide. I was going nuts otherwise.

Thank you both so much for sharing your thoughts, I found them very interesting to read and gave me a lot to consider. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I've spent quite a lot of time pondering the possible reason behind my dose of the ST (admittedly my thoughts vary depending on what mood I am in but luckily you have caught me on a clear thinking reasonable day today Laugh out loud (click to insert in post))

I think the silence I am receiving is based on a few things in my case: I think it's primarily rooted in self defence and that this over the top reaction is because I do mean a lot to him, I have no doubt. I also think he feels ashamed (we ended up in this situation due to a fight over some lies he told). I do however think there is an element of punishment to this - he didn't like some of the things I said and wants to hurt me.

The last contact we had was when I messaged him suggesting we talk about things, his response to this was to block me from all social media and messaging devices. This is what I struggle with the most. To my non BPD mind to block someone is taking things to a whole other level, it sends out a very aggressive message (although through my reading I have discovered this is very common behaviour for pwBPD)

I have moments when I consider reaching out and sending him a message but then I remember he has actively blocked me from possible channels of communication and that screams "I DO NOT want to hear from you" so I have left him be and just carried on with my life. I'm just working on getting my mind to fully accept that it's over. Silent treatment by it's "unfinished business" and uncertain nature makes this quite difficult!

BR xx

Jonie

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »

Hi thanks for your replies!

Narellan, ai! that must have been so painful, knowing he tried to hook up with your friend! That’s really devastating!

Yes, it’s very hard not to know where you stand, and this silent treatment is very damaging. We’ve been together for 6 years, with lots of BPS-stuff going on, but I could deal with all of that, that didn’t get to me. This silencing does. It’s so unfair and unnecessary. It would have made all the difference if he would have simply said sorry. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:56:20 AM by Jonie » Logged
LostGhost

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »

I too am struggling with silent treatment from my exBPDgf. It is by far the most difficult element to deal with. No communication of any kind and being treated like some invisible spectre is just cruel. I still have thousands of photographs on my phone of the two of us, some as recent as one month ago on an epic trip together. Laughing, smiling, cuddling. How do you go from that to being invisible. It's so hard to grasp.

I don't know if it's shame, guilt, pride, cowardice, ego, anger, hatred, resentment, avoidance. Is it something I did? Is it something she did? I will never inflict the silent treatment on someone because it is mentally and spiritually cruel, especially when it comes from someone you love and wanted to spend your life with. It's been 16 days now which seems like nothing compared to the months of NC others have endured. Will she ever talk again? Is there anything I can do? Any trigger, magic word or memory I can invoke to open the channels if communication. Right now I only have assumptions on how she's feeling. Maybe she's waiting to hear from me or maybe she's hoping I crawl in a hole and die. Assumptions are a waste of time I suppose and cause my head to spin in circles which is why this silent treatment is awful.
goldylamont

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »

The blocking on social media could very well be a passive aggressive message for punishment. It also however could be a privacy issue -- meaning that he doesn't want you to see his comnu ications with others.

Post breakup, after about 10 months the ex and I were communicating and beginning talks of reconciliation. Some time after her swearing she wanted to be together again her facebook account was disabled. I didn't bring it up for a while as to not cause any issues, and I thought perhaps she was trying to avoid communicating with another ex of hers whom she accused of stalking. After a couple of weeks her account was back online and I waited a while then sent her a nice message. She completely ignored it although I know she saw it immediately. My thoughts now on this have changed. I don't think she disabled her account, rather I believe she blocked me for a while and then later unblocked me, possibly to hide her communications with other men while she was stringing me along saying she wanted to reconcile. After cleaning things up she'd unblock me. I'll never know the whole truth but at the same time I'm no fool Smiling (click to insert in post)
JackBlacknBlue

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »

I struggled through 9 months of silent treatment.  It is horrible and destroying.  After silent treatment ended, I asked for a reason.  What made it possible for her to throw away 3 years in an instant.  She said, I can't explain it.  It was just too hard for me to face you.  She never apologized and got angry when I raised the topic again.  She said it was too painful to discuss and that I was calling her an awful person.  I never called her anything.  I told her that I needed to understand how she could dismiss 3 years of friendship in blink of an eye without any explanation.  And she just kept saying that she couldn't explain it.  I also thought that she wanted me dead. I mentioned that to her after SC was ended.  She said she never wished that.  

The only thing that prompted her to break SC was that she had hit rock bottom with another person, and I was being recycled.  I only now know this in hind sight.  

I don't believe SC has anything to do with the nons behavior.  If the pwBPD feels risk of abandonment or finds someone else to idealize, SC is a means to get out without confrontation.  It also usually leaves door open for the pwBPD to come back on their terms, to someone who has been waiting for them to come back.
Jonie

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:44:44 PM »

B&B, it makes sense that she said she can't explain it. In order to do so, she must be able to stand back and reflect on her emotions and actions - which is exactly what BPD's are incapable of doing. If she would have that capacity, she probably wouldn't have made you suffer like this. Any 'normal' person would understand how intolerable that is for a partner and explain or apologise for keeping some distance. Sadly, their own inner life is so overwhelming that they can't see past that.

Are you back together again?
Narellan

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »

Quote"•   I don’t want to give him the opportunity to be the victim here; he always complains that people leave him, while it is he who is pushing people away. I want it to be obvious that it is his choice"

It doesn't matter what you do Jonie he will be the victim. You don't have to have done anything. It doesn't matter how good you are to him, he will still turn on you. It's a coping mechanism. They don't want confrontation and they instinctively have to run. Whether you've done anything wrong or not, in his eyes he will find a reason to paint you black to cope with feelings of shame.

JBB  quote " it was too painful to face you" this sums it up perfectly.

Jonie you say even with all the reasons you give for staying you know it's not going anywhere.

This is a difficult place to be in, how long do we sit around stuck not going back but not moving forward? This is very damaging.

Peace to all you guys. 

BlondeRunner

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »

Hi LostGhost 

I still have thousands of photographs on my phone of the two of us, some as recent as one month ago on an epic trip together. Laughing, smiling, cuddling. How do you go from that to being invisible. It's so hard to grasp.

Same. I have some amazing photos from 5 weeks ago of us laughing our a$$es off at something stupid. I took them off my phone and downloaded them to my computer. It stops me constantly looking at them. Maybe you could do the same? I wish I had answers to your questions, I think your questions are exactly what we are all struggling to answer right now.

Hi Goldylamont! 

The blocking on social media could very well be a passive aggressive message for punishment. It also however could be a privacy issue -- meaning that he doesn't want you to see his comnu ications with others.

Oh yes, i think it sends a very passive aggressive indeed! Bizarrely he's left a a couple of my family members on there so if I wanted to snoop I could. Truth is I have no intention of doing that such is my commitment to moving forward. It really makes no difference what he is doing.

Hi JackBlacknBlue 

I don't believe SC has anything to do with the nons behavior.  If the pwBPD feels risk of abandonment or finds someone else to idealize, SC is a means to get out without confrontation.  It also usually leaves door open for the pwBPD to come back on their terms, to someone who has been waiting for them to come back.

Spot on. Absolutely!

Hi Jonie 

Any 'normal' person would understand how intolerable that is for a partner and explain or apologise for keeping some distance. Sadly, their own inner life is so overwhelming that they can't see past that.

My dBPDexbf has been on the receiving end of the silent treatment from his father for approx. 2 years now. It kills him, I know it tears him to pieces inside. He sends messages which are read and ignored and it causes him agonising pain and yet he feels it acceptable to dish out the same behaviour!
JackBlacknBlue

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »

I agree with Narellan.  He will always make himself out to be the victim irrespective of what you do.  

My pwBPD has always been victim.

her ex-husband- she claims she was only one that worked on relationship, he never did.  He is subsequently in therapy and an emotional wreck from the relationship

her best friend - it is his fault that he hasn't stayed in contact with her as much as he used to, despite changing jobs and having a brand new baby.  He's not making time for her.  (she had him in silent treatment during this)

another friend - it is the friend's fault.  BTW, the friend's husband was facing stage 4 cancer.  My pwBPD was upset at being deprioritized.

children of the man she is having an affair with - she said that she feels victim because the kids will never have benefit of getting to know her as a mother figure because he refuses to leave his wife.  (in my head I thought thank goodness!)

me - after silent treatment, I should be more sympathetic to her situation. She felt like the victim of her own feelings, not being able to face me.  When I asked for apology, and I asked directly several times, she never could apologize - just kept saying she couldn't explain and imagine how she felt.  

I think pwBPD feel perpetually the victim - of their circumstances and of their feelings.

Jonie

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »

Hi guys, o yes, I know, he is hiding behind all kinds of false accusations and delusions on me. He is living in another reality - that's why I never asked him any questions on why he did certain things, as I knew I would never get any real answer. He will also be painting a distorted picture of me, no doubt, I'm fully aware of that.

But this is one of the more childish reasons for not ending things myself: it sometimes feels as if he is almost begging me to end it, to ease his conscience, and I refuse to play along with that game.

Louise7777

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »

I got lots of silent treatment from an uPAPD xSO (passive-aggressive personality disorder). It began with days, then weeks and the turned into months (almost a year of it).

Of course he wasnt BPD, but I still believe people use ST for a reason: control and manipulation. Our first instinct is to reach out, to apologize and make them feel better. So, we were abused and we apologize! My xSO never apologized, he just resumed contact as if nothing had happened. Last time I told him I was done, we could communicate but the boat had sailed for me. Long story short, he played the victim, never assumed he was trying to get his way through ST... .

I let him know my mind: ST is a control/ manipulative tool, you are grounding me like Supernanny and Im an adult, so this is disresoectful and you should know better, you have zero emotional inteligence, etc.

Surprisingly, he didnt give me ST again, cause I told him I didnt care and I hadnt reached out the last time... . But he uses it with EVERYBODY around him. When hes displeased, he uses it (with family and co-workers). In my experience, there´s no shame in it, its just a way to make people behave the way he wants.

I can say Im an expert in ST myself, thats what brought me to this forum, but he´s not BPD, although I feel this has a lot to do with ego, narcisism and narcisistic injury.
goldylamont

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »

I got lots of silent treatment from an uPAPD xSO (passive-aggressive personality disorder). It began with days, then weeks and the turned into months (almost a year of it).

Of course he wasnt BPD, but I still believe people use ST for a reason: control and manipulation. Our first instinct is to reach out, to apologize and make them feel better. So, we were abused and we apologize! My xSO never apologized, he just resumed contact as if nothing had happened. Last time I told him I was done, we could communicate but the boat had sailed for me. Long story short, he played the victim, never assumed he was trying to get his way through ST... .

I let him know my mind: ST is a control/ manipulative tool, you are grounding me like Supernanny and Im an adult, so this is disresoectful and you should know better, you have zero emotional inteligence, etc.

Surprisingly, he didnt give me ST again, cause I told him I didnt care and I hadnt reached out the last time... . But he uses it with EVERYBODY around him. When hes displeased, he uses it (with family and co-workers). In my experience, there´s no shame in it, its just a way to make people behave the way he wants.

I can say Im an expert in ST myself, thats what brought me to this forum, but he´s not BPD, although I feel this has a lot to do with ego, narcisism and narcisistic injury.

wow. few people have the fortitude and attitude you have to (a) spell it out plainly to the person that you know what they are doing, and (b) that you are not bothered about what they think about it. you're just letting them know that you know that they know Smiling (click to insert in post) and, that they can do it to you if they want, but honestly, it's not going to work.

coming to these realizations about our SO's motivations is really eye opening. once i was able to some understanding and call out my ex for her behaviors they stopped abruptly--and let me know she understood fully what she was up to.

i would urge others to always consider this if you believe your SO is unable or incapable of understanding their actions and the effects they have on you. a lack of empathy doesn't necessarily mean someone doesn't understand how you feel, it can mean that they simply don't care... .
Louise7777

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »

Goldylamont, thank you for your words. To be very clear, it didnt happen overnight, I was subjected to it for over 7 years and at first I was so confused, reached out, apologized, etc... The typical people-pleaser behaviour. It just got worse (longer periods of silent treatment).

At some point I told him that he coldnt hurt a corpse, cause that was what I had become, he "over-used" his punishment. I was really fed up and I called him on his bluff (I think he also used ST to test my limits and see how far he could go). He is a good person and has a lot of qualities, but honestly, this ST behaviour seems quite sadistic to me.

I believe he lacks empathy, or he just feels superior and entitle to punish people.

I cant say our r/s improved after that. We communicate, but I established boundaries (I dont contact him at all, no phone calls or emails anymore). The boundaries were limits for me to not be hurt, but of course they are not supposed to change his behaviour.

Im not sure how this would work with a BPD. My uBPD relatives would probably rage when confronted with some truth, its not even possible to make them listen on how I feel (or others feel)... . They simply dont care. But I do believe ST has a lot to do with N traits, they feel a narcisistic injury and have to have their revenge... .
Narellan

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 07:41:50 PM »

Wow ! Quote : " i would urge others to always consider this if you believe your SO is unable or incapable of understanding their actions and the effects they have on you. a lack of empathy doesn't necessarily mean someone doesn't understand how you feel, it can mean that they simply don't care... . "

This is something I don't want to see. If I acknowledged this, it would mean everything he said to me was a lie, and that would make me a fool. I'd prefer to think he has guilt and shame. I have seen that in him at times. I'd rather think he can't cope with his emotions. If he didn't care why would he keep coming back? There's plenty of fish in the sea... .

He doesn't always have someone in the wings. He's often on his own. He's not a womaniser. Had just 1 girlfriend in the past 5 years that was and still is a push pull relationship of course. He can't be with her either but stays friends with her. She lives thousands of miles away so it's long distance keeping in touch kind of thing.

He lives a few hundred metres from me so when he has that impulse to see me he drops by.

I'm coming to the conclusion that because I didn't contact him after he came around last week that he's let me go. I'm not on eggshells waiting for another drop in now. In fact I just saw him gardening at home and I felt peaceful that he's not bothering me in any way. Once you've made up your mind there's no going back silent treatment is good all round.
Banshee

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »

Excerpt
Once I broke the silence and text him " I understand you don't want to talk to me. I just want to let you know I had a great time with you. Take care" he instantly rang me and said " stop thinking so much. Everything's fine. Do you want to go out tonight" and we went on as though nothing had happened.  huh

Holy cow batman ! Those are the exact words my ex would say.Unfortunately, I would have worked myself up to such a worry about what was wrong and about to happen that those words were calming and made me smile, they took the worry away... . for a minute, until my "non" mind would kick in and start waving the  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)'s and then the gut feeling came back
Jonie

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 02:30:41 AM »

As it happens, I ran into a FB-post yesterday: he held a party at his house, to celebrate a special occasion for a mutual friend. That already hurted, to know that even for this he hadn’t invited me, notified me. But what really slapped me in the face was to see that his ex-wife was there. The woman who abused him all these years, who stripped his house at their separation, who kept the children away from him and abused them, who set up friends and family against him… All the people there know, and still sit with her as if nothing happened. And none of them asks about me… none of them pulls on his sleeve on why he is treating me so disrespectfully. I know that, because even our ‘best’ mutual friends admitted they are afraid to raise any issue with him. It feels as if they are joining him in his silence treatment, which makes me very angry and upset. BPD’s may have an excuse for behaving so badly – they don’t!
Narellan

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »

It is so hurtful Janie. Your friends do have an excuse. They are afraid of him. They don't want to rock the boat so they'll stay out of it. Can you block him on FB? It's really better for your healing to not see what he's doing. He has history with his wife and they share kids so they are going to interact. It might not feel like it now but things will get easier for you. At the moment you're stuck not knowing where you stand. Why don't you make a decision on where you stand with him. Are you friends, lovers, together or apart. This is your decision just as much as his. X
Jonie

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 03:47:48 AM »

Hi Narellan, I have to disagree with you: not wanting to interfere is not a valid excuse. These are ‘friends’ we met every week, for years. And when this ST began, they didn’t even want to ask “hey, why isn’t Jonie with us today?”. ST is abusive behaviour, and keeping silent about it means going along with it. I’m not saying they should blame him or take sides, but as mutual friends they could have done something. If you picture it as physical abuse - him kicking me while they stand by to watch, say and do nothing and have a drink with him afterwards – you’ll get my point.

For the rest…it’s complicated…. I lead my life as if we’re not together anymore, I don’t reach out to him anymore, but I find myself unable to cut the cord entirely…  If I would block/unfriend him on FB (and I would love to do that!) it would mean just that to him.

Btw, I don’t oppose to him having contact with his ex-wife, but believe that the intensity is wrong; it’s unhealthy for them, and damaging to his children, his family – and me.

BlondeRunner

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 03:56:05 AM »

My pwBPD has always been victim... .

... . I think pwBPD feel perpetually the victim - of their circumstances and of their feelings.

Yes, I agree with you. My dBPDexbf is infallibly the victim of every single relationship in his life – friends, family, lovers, colleagues etc, in fact I have never known anyone to have such bad luck with the people in his life!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) I absolutely think he feels that he is the victim in all of this and I actually envision him sitting there feeling quite sorry for himself about this whole SELF INFLICTED and UNNECESSARY situation. 

Hi Louise 

... . I still believe people use ST for a reason: control and manipulation. Our first instinct is to reach out, to apologize and make them feel better. So, we were abused and we apologize!

Yes! When I realised I had been removed and blocked my overwhelming first instinct was to drop him a panicked email asking what the heck was going on – you’re totally right! However  I didn’t, I just completely ignored it. I would rather chew my elbow off than feed into his behaviour.

In my experience, there´s no shame in it, its just a way to make people behave the way he wants.

You’re probably right again, my initial gut feeling when it happened was that the blocking was a move to try and evoke a response from me since I hadn’t given any further chase than the one message a few days prior requesting that we talk about the situation like adults. Funnily enough a few days after he blocked me he gave me a few other nudges in various ways as if to say “Hey! Blondie! I blocked you! Didn’t you see? Aren’t you raging mad?”. I also totally ignored those! The blocking also wasn’t consistent – I was blocked on some things (the most obvious things) but not others... . it’s ok, I took control and personally removed myself from the other things – at least do the job right!

Jonie – I totally understand if you don’t want to block him on Facebook or even defriend him but could you “unfollow” him? That means you are still friends but his stuff won’t pop up in your newsfeed. No good comes from seeing what they’re doing, it will just hurt you.

Narellan

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 04:28:31 AM »

BR Quote"Hey! Blondie! I blocked you! Didn’t you see? Aren’t you raging mad? "

WOW  ! I can just hear my ex saying these exact words ! Blondie was his nickname for me and I too ignored when he defriended me... . I smiled when I read this Smiling (click to insert in post)
BlondeRunner

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 04:38:00 AM »

WOW  ! I can just hear my ex saying these exact words ! Blondie was his nickname for me and I too ignored when he defriended me... . I smiled when I read this Smiling (click to insert in post)

Hahahaha! It also helps if you imagine them yelling it while jumping up and down and waving their arms like children to try and get your attention!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Jonie

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 04:41:45 AM »

BR, following him on FB has it's advantages as well. At our last meeting he told me he had never expected to be without me, didn't want to loose me and agreed to be in closer contact in order to see if it was possible to reconnect. That was 2 months ago now... . So every weekend it has been at the back of my mind that he could invite me to meet, followed the nagging feeling 'Why doesn't he?'. By following him on FB I was able to see that he had all kinds of social obligations and work going on in the weekends, which put my mind a bit at rest. (no excuse, btw: he could have messaged me 'Sorry can't make it, how about next week?'

Other advantage: it enables me to check his stories, as he often makes up his own version of events
BlondeRunner

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 04:46:45 AM »

BR, following him on FB has it's advantages as well.

Ah I see, well you must do whatever works for you. In my situation I am very anti social media as I know I would get hurt to see things (even if there was nothing to be hurt about I know I would read it in such a way to upset myself!). My friend commented the other day how good I am when I said I hadn't once snooped on any of his stuff (and have never done so with any ex)... . to me it would almost be a form of self-harm. I do best when I have no contact at all.
Narellan

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 04:50:37 AM »

I did the same Jonie. I watched what he was posting... . He was still posting photos of us together, kissing and cuddling several weeks after we had split. He was posting phrases I thought were meant for me. So one day I just deactivated my account. All the posting of me stopped. ( I saw through a mutual friends FB) he knew he no longer had my interest or attention so it all stopped. Then after a few weeks he unfriended my deactivated account Laugh out loud (click to insert in post), I still gave no response. And nothing further has been posted about me. Smiling (click to insert in post)
Jonie

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 05:32:54 AM »

Hi BR, well, I’m not sure if this really works for me, I guess it’s the best of two bad options… 

Narellan, haha, that’s the opposite of my FB-situation! He befriended me, but made it very clear that he doesn’t want to be associated with me in any way, as he is ashamed of me. I wasn’t hurt by that, as I see it has to do with his poor self-image, but it’s not a pleasant situation. So my plan was to unfriend him after I had the chance to explain this to him, but as we don’t meet, I haven’t had that chance yet. When I unfriend him now, it will mean to him that it’s over between us. So I’m sort of stuck as long as I don’t want to do that. Maybe I should start posting pictures of us cuddling on his page now  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Narellan

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 05:59:56 AM »

What do you mean he didn't want to be associated with you? Didn't he take you out places? How do you mean he was ashamed of you ?
Jonie

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 06:32:11 AM »

-
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:45:53 AM by Jonie » Logged
goldylamont

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 06:43:37 AM »

firstly, i've told the stories below before, but i feel it's kind of therapeutic for me to retell and i feel they can shed some light on the topic. long-story-alert!  

Goldylamont, thank you for your words. To be very clear, it didnt happen overnight, I was subjected to it for over 7 years and at first I was so confused, reached out, apologized, etc... The typical people-pleaser behaviour. It just got worse (longer periods of silent treatment).

oh no, didn't happen overnight for me either. we were together 4 years and during the r/s i never suspected that she could be so aware of her passive aggressiveness. i definitely knew her to be "difficult" with a capital D, but i never thought of her as a liar, not at all. that's a deal breaker for me ladies! (<<this is a stupid quote from 30 rock, see link below). this all changed after i broke up with her--but while we still lived together (almost 2 months). i started noticing cracks in her stories, overheard her telling itty bitty lies to her mom on the phone... . got me thinking... . then it was like opening pandora's box. i saw so many things much clearer than before, it was devastating yet eye opening. and even after she moved out it still took me another 8 months or so with low contact to finally convince myself that she was completely untrustworthy and had a purposeful sadistic side to her. it wasn't just me at this point, i saw her effect on at least 4 other people, 2 of whom came to me (i was the last 'stable' bf of hers) over a year later, sitting in my living room shaking like they had hypothermia. i remember that shake! damn, she got to you too?

Louise7777 i consider myself a relatively aware individual. honestly i think the only people who wouldn't be blindsided by this type of behavior are, well basically what we are now--people who've already been blindsided by it before. learned the lesson. that's why it's impossible to explain and get other people to believe how convincing someone can be while at the same time being so calculating and cold--other people won't believe you on this, they feel like they would be smart enough to figure it out themselves. but they aren't. hell, we probably did also at some point  Smiling (click to insert in post)

At some point I told him that he coldnt hurt a corpse, cause that was what I had become, he "over-used" his punishment. I was really fed up and I called him on his bluff (I think he also used ST to test my limits and see how far he could go). He is a good person and has a lot of qualities, but honestly, this ST behaviour seems quite sadistic to me.

oh ya, my ex over-used two of her techniques to keep me in line. one was where she would follow me around, instigating an argument, not letting it go. and the more reasonable and calm i became the more she would amp up her instigation. finally one day something clicked in me and i couldn't stop looking at her hand. why was she holding that phone? to record me? oh hell no--i figured it out right then and there. she had recorded at least 5 or six arguments of ours, probably more. she wanted to get a recording of me saying nasty things (to use against me?), but i was being a complete idiot about it by unknowingly staying calm, drawing boundaries, walking away from the argument. this pissed her off so she had to instigate more to try and make me fly off the handle. how sweet of her. i still find it unbelievable that she did this and that i was able to figure it out. i never would have figured it out if she didn't over-use it and try so hard to get me to blow up. so glad i called her out on this--she even played me stuff she had from weeks earlier, boy was i scared, but from what i heard none of it was too bad and i was actually proud of myself...

the most hurtful to me was when i figured out that she was faking ptsd just to punish (and laugh?) at me. i only caught it after she used it several times. she would start an argument, say hurtful things, wait for my reaction, then before i could finish what i was saying she'd start crying and shrink away from me. full on panic attack with shaking, then she'd scream "just go AWAY!" tears tears tears. me leaving, not having a say. me? scared as hell in my own home. devastated. thinking my anger had traumatized the woman i thought i loved. how could i be so irresponsible? how could i forget she had been raped? wow was i giving off a violent vibe? i was mad but i never meant to scare her... . i must have serious issues--NOPE! she was just punishing me. passive aggressive style. almost impossible to figure out. one day she kept coming at me, smiling telling me how great her new life was with her new bf. he's this. he's that. somehow i remain calm. then, that she feels so connected and comfortable with him. it's so odd exploring a new man's body. she knew their r/s which started 10 days previous (lasted less than 4 months) was going to be long term because she knew she could trust him soo much--that threw me over the edge, for years she swore i was untrustworthy after all i had done for her. i reacted verbally. she does her crying/ptsd ditty, screams in agony for me to go. i don't know what came over me, all i can say was that i was very very calm. i didn't go, not this time. i was washing dishes at the time. i remembered someone telling me that if you are ever in a room with someone you feel is threatening, to always be closer to the exit door than them. so, i calmly walked past her to make sure she could leave and that i wasn't blocking her exit. i had a theory to test. then i said something to the nature of "i'm not going anywhere. in fact, you can kiss my arse. if you're afraid of me then YOU go. i was washing dishes and you just want to provoke me and make me jealous." Immediately she stops crying, straightens up, cops a haughty attitude and i swear she chuckled as she wiped the tears away as i went back to my dishes. she didn't leave. she stayed right in there with me and made some tea. false alarm, eh?

the only way i could believe something like this about her was by living through it myself.

I believe he lacks empathy, or he just feels superior and entitle to punish people.

... . But I do believe ST has a lot to do with N traits, they feel a narcisistic injury and have to have their revenge... .

yes, in the moment this is true. as i said before, my ex had real empathy but there was zero present when she thought of me as the enemy. revenge is very common in pwBPD and requires a certain degree of consciousness to deliver.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest