Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 05:21:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for help for 17 yr old with BPD and eating disorder  (Read 484 times)
momof3+1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 07, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for help for my 17 yr old daughter suffering from BPD and an eating disorder. She had been in treatment at a day program for the past 2 weeks for the eating disorder - this was a condition that manitfested itself 2 yrs ago with severe restricting, binging & purging. She became suicidal during this treatment which led to 2 suicide attempts and 6 hospitalizations. She has become emotionally stable over the past 3-4months and requested help with the eating disorder. The problem, is that the eating program has brought out some really negative thoughts (suicidal) and emotional disregulation. The treatment program is discharging her effective tomorrow with recommendation for psychiatric day program (which have not been successful in the past) or an intensive DBT program. My daughter did have excellent support before entering the ED program - psychiatrist, dbt group, therapist, in-home therapist and a mentor. All of these except for the mentor have been put on hold until she finishes treatment. I am planning to continue therapeutic support with a therapist who specializes in ED and mood, anxiety (last therapist did not treat ED but was very helpful in the mood stabilizing process. Does anyone have experience with BPD and eating disorders? if so, what treatment process did you find helpful? Thank you.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »

Hello, momof3+1 &  Welcome

It sounds like your daughter does have a good team of Professionals around her (though the Eating Disorder program did have mixed results, unfortunately), but the plan you have for her treatment(s) after discharge sounds smart. I'm really glad that she is at least being under the eyes of professionals with an understanding of her problems. And under the eyes of a very caring, supportive and proactive Mom... .

What happened 2 years ago, when the eating disorder manifested? What do you think led to her suicidal ideations during the ED treatment? I'm really sorry for all the trauma and pain she must be in for all of these dysregulations to be happening. The plan you have going forward does sound very good; I hope that she responds well, and that maybe she will be comfortable with this new team. Will the Psychiatrist, DBT group, Therapist and In-Home Therapist eventually become part of her continuing treatments? I really hope that she can find the help that she needs.

There are some parents on this Board who have experience with these issues that are plaguing your daughter; I'm sure they will give you the benefit of their experiences and insights. In the meantime, I did do a search on the information and threads that we have on this site regarding eating disorders, and maybe this will help you: Eating Disorders.

Please stick around and tell us more of your situation, momof3+1... .We'd love to help 

lever.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:43:01 AM »

Hello momof3+1

I am not an expert here but my daughter did have similar issues in her late teens and things have improved.

I know how frightening eating disorders can be.

I think eating disorders often act as a way of diverting attention from underlying unpleasant emotions so that when they are being treated the suicidal ideation can come to the fore as that particular coping mechanism is removed.

I think DBT is very good as it teaches more helpful ways of coping with the overwhelming emotions.

It is very scary when a young person moves out of intensive treatment but it does sound as if you have a good team around you- and we are available for you to talk to any time you feel you need it.

Do let us know how things go

HealingSpirit

Relationship status: Married 19 years.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »

Dear Momof3+1,

I'd like to join Rapt Reader and Lever in welcoming you to our family!  My DD is also 17.  She doesn't have an eating disorder like yours, but she is a cutter and her last episode landed her in a pediatric mental hospital for a 3-day hold.  I understand how scary it is to hear from them that they just want to die.   I have a couple of adult friends who are bulimic, and they have shared with me how difficult it is to treat.  So, I'm glad to hear you seem to have a very good treatment team on board to help your DD.  We are here for YOU to deal with the daily ups and downs. 

Are you also seeing a therapist or counselor to help you deal with your DD?

Hang in there. 

momof3+1

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »

Thanks for the words or encouragement and support! Wanted to follow up and let you know that I will be meeting with a therapist today to see if she will be a good fit for my daughter. She is doing better this week, out of the ED program and following the meal plan ( for the most part) that they had structured for her. Our journey continues.
HealingSpirit

Relationship status: Married 19 years.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »

Thanks for the words or encouragement and support! Wanted to follow up and let you know that I will be meeting with a therapist today to see if she will be a good fit for my daughter. She is doing better this week, out of the ED program and following the meal plan ( for the most part) that they had structured for her. Our journey continues.

Thank you so much for coming back with a bit of good news!  It gives us all hope.  I'm glad you're seeing improvement this week.  This process seems to go 2 steps forward, 1 step back.  You're so right.  It is a journey!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest