Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 06:15:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often does someone with BPD have dilusional thinking?  (Read 360 times)
Pinkeraser

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 25, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »

I have been dealing with my 24 yo daughters extreme behavior for about 10 years; however in April this year she became very paranoid more then normal. She thought individuals at work were sabotaging her and trying to make her think she was crazy but she also told me they thought she was the next Jesus. From there something happened that I am not sure of that ended her up in a town she doesn't typically visit on a 5150 (overnight) mental health hold (evading police and assault). Charges were never filed so I am not sure what happened. She refuses to talk about it.

Next thing she thought someone was after her and watching us and she wanted her and I to run away to a safe place. Then she wanted to go to LA to be a famous singer (she did end up in LA but her friend called saying she was acting strange and wanted her out of his house). He said his roommate thought she was bipolar? It got worst with her texting people that people were building bombs in garages near her and foreign countries and strange people were where trying to take over her brain. It goes on and on from there... .but she did have days she wasn't delusional but very depressed or something and would just sit and stare at things for hours or sit and stare with a weird smile on her face, or pace and appear to be talking to someone. If I interrupted her pacing with a question she would cover her ears or wave to me to be quiet and start the pacing process all over again.

She was never like this in the past. This is all new behavior. Her last 5150 the hospital tested her for drugs before transferring her and they said she was clean. She is currently homeless (about 2.5-3 months now) and I have not heard from her in over 3 weeks.

Anyone had experiences like this with their children?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
MammaMia

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »

Pink

Yes, my BPDs 40 is extremely paranoid.  He has schizoaffective disorder as well as BPD.

Has your dd been diagnosed as BPD?  She could have some schizoaffective traits. This can accompany BPD or it can be a disorder on its own, like paranoid schizophrenia.

If she has not been diagnosed, she should be. Only a psychiatrist will know for sure.
Elbry

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »

My daughter sometimes refuses meds because she thinks they are just placebos and we are tricking her into thinking they are meds and they don't really work it's all placebo effect so why bother.  Or she won't take them because meds are part of a government conspiracy to control our minds.  She has other interesting conspiracy theories about the government and control.  She hasn't been diagnosed as delusional, it comes and goes and honestly we wonder if she's just messing with us with some of it.  She is kind of paranoid, everyone is watching her, everyone is against her, everyone hates her, everyone thinks she is stupid... .that sort of thing. 
29lost

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »

my BPD spouse has similar episodes of paranoia. she thinks people are spying on her or out to ruin her reputation. It comes and goes but seems to mostly occur during times when she is stressed.
Pinkeraser

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »

Mammamai... .my daughter was in a psych hospital for a week when she was 16 yo and her behavior was very much BPD (based on my reading) but the psychiatrist said her behavior was due to lack of boundaries. He never spoke to me while she was admitted so he got no history. He, based on talking with my daughter, decided she needed to have firmer boundaries. She was admitted because she didn't want to go to school and wanted me to supply her with cigs and pot. When I refused she went into a angry rant and when I did not give in she cut her neck and leg. I had to call the police. He discharged her without any diagnosis and then refused to see her as a patient because he said "she gave him heartburn."

I found another psychiatrist and he said she was "thin skinned" and "overly sensitive." He said that created anxiety and prescribed her Zanax for anxiety. She would snort the pills. When I locked them up she destroyed the house to find them. He ended up moving to another town so to answer your question... .no she has not received a professional diagnosis. I had her seeing a psychologist and we also did family therapy but she said I abused her so those session went south quickly.

Recently in May she was admitted on a 5150 as an adult and spent a week in a psych hospital. Because she is an adult no one would confirm or deny she was there (but I knew she was because she called me frequently asking me to bring her things) and unless my daughter gave permission for me to be involved or know about her treatment they could not speak to me. She never gave permission but I did see her discharge paperwork and there was no diagnosis or meds given.

It sounds like my daughter could have several things going on at this point. Thanks to all for your feedback.
gentlestguardian

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »

My pwBPD also suffers from delusional thinking. She's been paranoid about co-workers and particularly her bosses "having it in" for her for basically as long as she's been working. Besides that, she really didn't have any psychoses until a few years ago when she had a major psychotic episode and would up on a two-week long involuntary psych hold. She was released because she wasn't perceived as harmful to herself or others but was still totally psychotic. After trying to manage the situation and force her into some kind of treatment for several months, I had to let it go and let her be. She refused all my efforts and basically just had me running around after her like a chicken with it's head cut off. I let her be and she wandered aimlessly and without a home for about a year, and then suddenly some lightbulb went off and she realized she needed help so she finally went to a doctor. The doctor put her on medication for schizophrenia and she has not had psychotic episodes since, though all the other BPD thinking and behavioral traits remain. She doesn't think the medication does anything either, but she continues taking it so she can remain on disability and not work.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest