Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 12:50:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Major betrayal by uBPDw  (Read 373 times)
krazyblue

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: December 17, 2014, 04:26:50 AM »

I have been sober for 15yrs the 28th of this month. For years I didn't have any alcohol in the house. She has always smoked pot (I came to acceptance early in our relationship). A few years ago I let start having a bottle of wine around.  She never drank much more than a glass at a time so it didn't really bother me. I had always drank beer and hard alcohol. I always drank to get drunk.  I have never been okay with hard alcohol around. That is definitely a trigger.

She got rheumatoid arthritis really bad a couple of years ago and stopped being able to work last March. In the past, she had periodically had intense emotions, anger, and anxiety periodically.  After she stopped being able to work, her behavior got really bad.  I discovered this site by accident around that time and she fit the profile.  I read everything and several books.  I had to say something. I couldn't take anymore.  She got extremely defensive and said horrible things.  I said I would leave unless things changed and she went to therapy.  She chose therapy.

Things gradually improved although we still have separate rooms.

She applied for disability but we've heard nothing. We living off what's left of our credit card. Her disease has gotten worse despite the meds. We're visiting my parents for xmas and they are giving us money.  We've before been really stressed about going down there.  She has been really triggered by her past and the holidays.  Her drinking increased since Thanksgiving which kind of concerned. I knew she had been substituting since her weed connection dried up.

Last sunday I was reviewed transactions and discovered sizable purchases at liquor stores over the past couple of weeks. You can't buy hard alcohol at grocery stores in oregon so I knew what that meant. She has been drinking hard alcohol and hiding it.  I'm devastated. It's beyond unacceptable. It never occurred to me that she would cross that line. Buy wine, sake, cider, or whatever but not that. I had just begun finally getting close to her again after months. I know that she was depressed and dealing with a lot of ptsd stuff but acting out this way is inexcusable.

I really love her and want to be married to her but I don't know if I will be able to get past this one. It's too disrespectful and cruel. I don't know how to absorb a blow like this. I am so sad that it's almost unbearable.
maxen
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »

hi krazyblue. it seems there are two elements to this, the alcohol and the dishonesty. everyone has their dividing line, and alcohol abuse is certainly a reasonable one. (i have to say, i don't see a difference among wine and cider and liquor though, if they're being abused.) but along with alcohol abuse frequently comes the secrecy. and with BPD on top of that, she probably feels judged for drinking too. is she in any kind of therapy either for the alcohol or for her emotional patterns?

krazyblue

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

Yes, she is in therapy with a DBT therapist. I confronted her about the alcohol and she had been talking to her therapist about it.  She had convinced herself that it would be okay because I had allowed the other alcohol.  She had allowed read an article about Kathleen Turner relaxing with a cocktail to ease her RA pain.  I told her that she had been respectful and asked about all the other alcohol. I told her that if she had asked me, I would have said no. Hard alcohol is never allowed.  Reason crept into her brain and she said that she got so caught up in her mind crap that she wasn't thinking clearly. She said that it was stupid and that she never meant to threaten my sobriety.  In the context of what I know about how, her explanation actually makes sense. I had poured out all the alcohol before she got home.  Now she said she doesn't want to bring any alcohol into the house.  That is fine with me after this incident.  I've decided to hang in there for now.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest