Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 03, 2024, 12:30:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: son and daughter in law  (Read 377 times)
sweeper

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: January 20, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »

My son has been married for five years to someone I suspect has BPD.  Prior to the wedding, there were many minor complaints such as us being late for events.  During the wedding planning, the complaints grew more sever despite paying a considerable portion of the expense.  The complaints have developed into a pattern of accusation/ yelling, refusal to discuss followed by long periods of silence.

My son seems to be party to this pattern which is completely opposite of his personality.  They have recently had a grandchild but refuse to allow us to see her.  We have not always responded in the best manner, however, have repeatrdly offered to paticipate in counseling or just meet.

Have gone to several counselors but have not been helpful.  Looking for some suggestions as to the best way to approach son in order to develop communication.  He is not responding to phone calls at this time.

I apoligize for providing limited information but it is a very long story.   
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Tim300

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »

Perhaps it's easier for him to respond via email?

If it seems like he is distant at times, it could be because she is forcing him to be like this (perhaps to all others), so I would try not to assume that it's personal.
swampped

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw
Relationship status: Married 45 years

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »

Dear Sweeper: Welcome  I am sorry you have to be here because of the situation with your son and daughter-in-law, but am glad you found us.  There are so many of us who have been through what you are facing, and I have found much help from some very kind and caring people on this site.  A few questions:  how old is your ds (dear son)?  Do they live close by?  And how old is your GD (granddaughter)?  Have you had any contact at all with the little one?   You state that the therapists have not been helpful---is that where you learned of BPD?  Do you have other children? 

Our situation is probably similar to yours.  Our DS, now 35, met and became involved with a woman whom we suspect has BPD about seven years ago.  She became pregnant; our GD6 was born, and they married.  They then moved when GD was 3 months old 350 miles away. It turns out uBPDdil (undiagnosed BPD daughter-in-law) had lost custody of her two older children by a previous marriage, and wanted to move to be near them.  So they moved, and we see our GD6 about twice a year.  The marriage failed; they divorced after she threw him out, and he was homeless, living on the street, then with a series of shady roommates.  Complicating this is the fact that our DS is mildly developmentally challenged, and seems to function in very low paying jobs.  My DH (dear husband) and I support the little girl, and our DS with my social security check.  Because of that support, exdil treats us reasonably well, although the only way our DS gets to see GD6 is when he brings money.

All of which is to say, life gets very complicated with BPD---whether you are the parent or the step parent or the inlaw of such a person.  DH and I have found help from AlAnon---our DS had some drinking issues early on, and his exwife did as well.  At any rate, that was our foot in the door, and I cannot say enough about the help and support that the twelve step program has provided.   I also have found great support at this site, and would encourage you to make use of the tools here to learn as much as possible about this condition and how people cope with it. Although our DS never really stopped communicating with us, we had to tread very carefully when they were together, because she did try to control many aspects of his life, and he did become terribly isolated.  I would urge you to try to understand your DS's position---he is undoubtedly walking on eggshells, and may be distancing himself from his family for his own safety.  We will never know all that happened to our DS during their marriage, but I am sure there was significant physical and emotional abuse that he suffered.  And DH and I, although often frustrated with his apparent inability to extract himself from her continued demands, have great admiration for his devotion to his daughter.  Many many fathers would have simply checked out and walked away, I am sure.

At any rate, please keep posting, and do look at the lessons on this board when you have time.  You are not alone!  Best wishes as you struggle with this heartache.  And welcome, once again.   Swampped
sweeper

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »

The situation has not changed since my last post, continued to offer to participate in counseling as a way to mediate the situation.  Have been told in an email that they wish not to communicate.

I feel as though I should continue trying but do not want to make the situation worse, my wife and I have complied with their request of no communication.  Prior to receiving his email, we apologized for any hurts that we may have caused.

Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks
Kate4queen

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »

I hate to say this but you have probably done everything you can at this point. A short call or email message once a month saying you are there if needed and you love them might be all you can do. You can't make someone communicate with you who doesn't choose to- Or you can-and then you end up admitting things that aren't true, accepting 100% of the blame for everything or buying their favor back.

I'm sure you realize by now that none of those options are good ones.

The thing I've found is that people with BPD rarely stay in the moment for long periods of time. When they need something from you they will forget all the past abuse and trauma and just call you up as if nothing has happened. At that point the ball is in your court and you have to decide where your boundaries are and how you want to handle the situation.

Also people with BPD tend to struggle to maintain relationships, so things might change. Don't give up hope but don't allow them to control everything. By stepping back you remove a point of conflict/drama in the BPD's world and that can have very interesting repercussions because if they can't paint you black because you won't engage? What will they do next?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest