Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 10:45:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm angry...  (Read 375 times)
gah

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 22, 2015, 11:14:08 PM »

In a nutshell, bought a house recently with BF.  I'm 45.  First episode with BPD happened - it lasted a couple of weeks. I tried to use the lessons I learned here, but I could only take so much and I failed. It is awful and hugs to you all for dealing with this!

I am angry today.  He came out of it just under a week ago.  Like nothing happened.  I'm apparently the jerk.  I don't know about you and how you cope, but I want to discuss his behaviour with him.  I am heartbroken.  He was verbally abusive, used all my weaknesses against me, had his family (who I liked) delete me on Facebook (Lord knows what he told them), called me names, and generally bullied me.  I'm trying not to walk on eggshells - but I don't want to see rageman.  I can't handle it after moving from my own place, into a place where I felt hated and like burden.  I need to get some footing first.  I am not meek by any stretch.  The nice him is incredible - this is such a shock after all the time we've been together.

How do you cope with your own anger?  How do you forgive when there seems to be no remorse?  My needs do not seem to matter - and emotional intimacy?  Where did that go? No gratitude at all for anything.  :)oesn't even ask me how my day was anymore.  Is this how it goes?  Idealized, devalued, and flat/existing? He's for sure out of the episode and I'm back to being white - but he is still different than the man I was excited to buy a house with, spend my life with, travel with... .  Now, I just want to get back into my own place, but nice him is amazing.  Confused.  :)ealing with not living on my own anymore, having to share and then this... .and the shock... .best and worst relationship ever.  Clearly, I will wait to calm down before making any decisions or having any discussions. I could literally just scream.

Also... .he seems unable to focus, never stops, hardly eats.  We bought a real fixer-upper (oh irony Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)) and we had a plan of what would get done first.  He does 50 jobs at once, but not the original plan.  Is this a trait?  I do think being incredibly busy keeps the demon at bay... .but... .at the expense of our relationship.

I know it is an illness, maybe I am a jerk and am currently lacking compassion - but it came out of nowhere and like many people's stories on here, I was blindsided and I'm crushed.  Who is this guy?

(He is undiagnosed, but after doing all kinds of research and having a close friend who's hubby is BPD, I am almost certain.  Saw a therapist she clearly knows nothing about BPD - contradicts everything I read here.  Basically just said it was a psychotic break or maybe he's just abusive.  No support there.  I'm going to change therapists.)  

cosmonaut

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »

Hi gah

Welcome

I'm really sorry to hear about all that you are going through with your partner.  BPD can be extremely frustrating to deal with at times, and frankly it can be exhausting at others.  They can even be heartbreaking, as you say.  I think everyone here feels that way.  You're not a jerk at all.  These are not easy relationships, and your anger about things is very natural.  So, you're in good company.   

I think the place to start is to try reading through the Lessons on the Staying board.  These tools will help you to better relate to your BF, and also to help diffuse situations when he is triggered.  These will be vital tools to make this relationship less turbulent.  Please don't feel that any of this is your fault, however, gah.  You are not the reason that he is behaving this way.  This is what the disorder does.  It's very tragic and it causes so much hurt for everyone - both you and your BF.  The good news is that there are steps we can take to improve the situation.  Staying in a BPD relationship requires us to change too.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Keep posting.  We very much understand how difficult this is, and we are all ready to support you.

Edit:  Oh, be sure to ask around in the Staying board if you have any questions about the tools, too.  The senior members would be happy to help to explain them better - they are not intuitive.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest