Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 12:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPDs as parents  (Read 361 times)
Loosestrife

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 06, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »

Hi, I'm interested to know if anyone who has kids with a pwBPD thinks that a BPD is able to co-parent effectively, how has your partner's BPD effected the kids, and given the choice would you choose to co-parent with your pwBPD again if you knew what  you know now? Thanks
ShadowIntheNight

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »

My ex was a mother. I knew her and her kids for 10 years. She was always having conflict with their father. She always blamed him for the problems between them, but at least half of the time she was baiting him and saying what I would call emasculating terms to him after the divorce. She never talked (too) badly about him around them. But she said enough that both kids don't care so much for their dad. They are now 12 and 14.

When it came to her kids, I think she is as good a mother as she can possibly be. I know that she works hard to make sure their financial needs are met, but unfortunately her finances are crap because she doesn't use good judgement on paying bills on time and spending money. She also would yell at them in a terrible way that was abrasive to hear when we were on the phone. How she hasn't done that with some new guy and he hasnt found it problematic is beyond me.

She wanted to have a child with me 2 years after we got together (we were both women). Thank God I didn't allow that to happen. In the long term, I would have never gotten to see my child given the way she ran off here at the end and the state she lives in doesn't recognize same sex marriages.
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:45:04 PM »

My SO's uBPDxw is incapable of co-parenting she can not cooperate.  The court seems to have recognized this and awarded each parent decision making for specific things.  My SO is responsible for Medical, Dental and Education his ex is responsible for Vision, Gynocological and Therapy.  They each handle the items they are responsible for... .a parallel parenting model.   

If you want more information on parallel parenting there are several threads on the subject, just plug in "parallel parenting" and Search Site.

I'm part of another thread that you might want to check out about BPD parents and their kids.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=276239.0

Raising children is an already difficult job but adding someone with mental health issues into the mix makes it even more difficult... .complicated. The effects on children depends on many factors... .the child's own personality/confidence/self esteem, the parenting styles and skills of each parent, the health of the parents relationship, supportive people outside the family... .really all of the things that come into play raising any child with some special skills and issues around BPD.

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest