Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 03:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason For My BPD Involvement: Low Confidence/Extreme Insecurity ~  (Read 532 times)
ZeusRLX

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »

So I did some soul searching with a therapist and some reading.

And I think I'm on to something. The reason I have been a serial BPD dater was that apparently (beneath my exterior confidence) I had very low self esteem, extreme people pleasing tendencies and a  bunch of insecurities. Couple this with the need for some kind of head over heels love and you have the perfect formula for BPD person to feast on. And they did.

They sensed my insecurities and they exploited them. But the responsibility is mine. However, I was never aware of these insecurities until recently.

Also, I know three guys involved with BPD women now... .after discovering my own insecurities, I see all three of them are really, really insecure and those women are exploiting them.

And when I try to rescue them, I am trying to rescue the little kid inside of me... .but if that little kid inside of me won't need rescuing anymore and loves himself and has great self esteem... .he won't attract others with insecurities/low self esteem that require rescuing.

I feel 40% better already and will stomp out my insecurities.

So I just wanted to share that with everyone! For the first time in a long time I feel optimistic that I can and will be happy with non BPD women in the future... .because amazing women who are also not personality disordered like men with good self esteem and someone who is insecure like I was (still am to an extent) is bound to attract mostly similarly insecure women who are also personality disordered.

I don't know how the future will turn out, obviously, but I think this discovery improves my chances immensely. The thing is... .there were two sick people in all of my past relationships and I was almost as sick and they were. I need to own that big time! And I do.

The best thing about being insecure is when you're honest and say "yeah, I'm insecure", you're already so much better, it's when you're in denial about it that it becomes a problem.

In any case, that's my two cents. Here's to hope and healing of all broken hearts on here!

Drinks all around!  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Lucky Jim

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »

Hey ZeusRLX, Cheers to that!  I agree w/you.  It's true that I had low self-esteem and insecurities when my BPDxW entered my life.  Yet I had never heard of BPD.  Who knew?  It was the "perfect formula" that you describe, which explains why a BPD r/s exerts such a pull on the Non.

Self-acceptance is key, as you suggest.  If I love and care about myself, many positive benefits flow from that position.  For example, I love and care about myself too much these days to ever get into an abusive situation again.  Say good-bye to victimhood and say hello to self-acceptance.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
ZeusRLX

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »

Self-acceptance is key, as you suggest.  If I love and care about myself, many positive benefits flow from that position.  For example, I love and care about myself too much these days to ever get into an abusive situation again.  Say good-bye to victimhood and say hello to self-acceptance.

LuckyJim

Amen to that! Let's rock and roll.
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »

I feel 40% better already and will stomp out my insecurities.

So what are those insecurities, where did they come from, and how will you stomp them out?  I've found that acknowledging them is indeed the first step and makes us feel better just in that acknowledgement, but then what?
ZeusRLX

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »

So what are those insecurities, where did they come from, and how will you stomp them out?  I've found that acknowledging them is indeed the first step and makes us feel better just in that acknowledgement, but then what?

It came from childhood in my case... .sent you a PM!

Working with a therapist is good, hypnotherapy worked awesome for me!

Woo hoo!
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »

It came from childhood in my case... .sent you a PM!

Working with a therapist is good, hypnotherapy worked awesome for me!

Woo hoo!

So what specifically were those insecurities, and how are things different for you now?
ZeusRLX

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:48:37 PM »

So what specifically were those insecurities, and how are things different for you now?

Mostly it's about self acceptance. I like myself more. When I like myself genuinely, I don't worry so much about whether other people like me. I don't need to be rescued so I don't try to rescue anyone else.

I accept myself more now and feel a lot happier and don't need to be rescued by someone (and rescue them) to feel good about myself.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest