Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 04:26:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible that some people attract pwBPD?  (Read 436 times)
Decorum

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: July 27, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »

First of all: English is not my first language, so sorry in advance for grammar/spelling mistakes. So the question I ask myself after some experience with someone with BPD: Is it possible that some people attract pwBPD? I'vre read that pwBPD often search for people who can be influenced easily, are 'weak', lonely etc. I have Asperger's syndrome, feeling lonely often and have social anxiety. I already posted my experience with my recent 'ex-girlfriend', so I'll just be short about it:

I got to know a girl online and she seemed into me VERY fast, already during our first time chatting online. She often told me how much she liked me, talked with me all the time, I felt she was getting attached to me very quickly, but I liked the attention since attractive girls don't give me much attention normally. But after a while she suddenly 'transformed' into this other person. First she felt very depressed, thought about suicide, said things like "I'm worthless, I don't deserve love". Then some time later she started going to parties a lot, drank much, took drugs, had sex with other men,... .So I read as much as possible about Borderline (that's how I ended up on this forum, to seek answers and get over the depressed feelings she left me with) and decided I didn't want to get caught in her web of lies and betrayel and now I'm trying very hard not to contact her because I know she will otherwise keep manipulating and hurting me.

After reading about BPD I remembered that a few years ago I had almost the EXACT situation with another girl. I know for a fact that my recent girl had BPD, and now I think this other girl may have BPD too, since the 2 stories are so similar to eachother.

I also remember another girl some time before this. Our first date with this girl was really awesome, and she invited me to her hous after a few drinks. We started cuddling until she got a phonecall (no idea from whom) She went into another room and was gone for about 20/30 minutes. When she came back she was extremely mad and 'hinted' I should leave as soon as possible. Later I tried to contact her but she never responed. Because I didn't know this girl very well I got over her relatively quickly.

I'm not sure these two other girls had BPD too, it's just an assumption. I don't really have that much experience with girls so I'm wondering, can some people attract pwBPD? All of these girls took the first step in making contact and seemed into me very fast and then just, totally changed. Or - I really hope I'm not being offensive by saying this: - Is this just a thing that a lot of woman in general do? Playing games with people's mind just to get some sort of attention, to feel like they matter?

I hope I get a few responses, I'm wondering about this for a while now.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:01 PM »

hey decorum 

try removing BPD from the picture for a moment.

"Or - I really hope I'm not being offensive by saying this: - Is this just a thing that a lot of woman in general do? Playing games with people's mind just to get some sort of attention, to feel like they matter?"

a lot of what you are describing is something plenty of people of both sexes do. there is no shortage of emotionally immature people out there. a person with an insecure attachment style (or a mixture of insecure/avoidant) can look in some cases like BPD. and of course there are other personality disorders, mood disorders, etc.

a person who gets into another person too quickly suggests they have weak boundaries. people with BPD tend to have weak boundaries yes, but so do millions and millions of other people of both sexes.

ill use myself as an example. i too, may have dated other personality disordered women (i cant diagnose). i have found it far more useful to ask myself who and what im attracted to than whether i have a target on my head that attracts them. its really about emotionally availability for me. i had/have issues as we all do. some of those issues may have been telegraphed to healthier potential partners who overlooked me for whatever reason. likewise, i overlooked healthier partners for similar reasons. the only one i can change in this equation is me.

you say you dont have much experience with girls. it may be that your experiences could skew your idea of "normal", and what its like to be in a healthy relationship with a healthy woman. ive had plenty of healthy friendships with healthy women in my life, they are certainly out there, but in terms of romantic relationships i was seeking out some rather complicated women and relationships. i was avoiding real intimacy, taking things slow and building over time, naturally, because i preferred to jump on the roller coaster, and i thought that was real love.

you may find this article on the characteristics of healthy relationships very useful: https://bpdfamily.com/bpdresources/nk_a115.htm

can you relate?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
borderdude

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »

If they have a strong narcisitic component, they might wanna seek out individuals they can manipulate and to not represent a treath to their selfimage.   Or just simplify it by : whatever individual was around for the moment, supply is supply any will do.
Svarl1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:26 AM »

I think there is something to consider here for anyone who feels trapped with a BPD partner, or who has repeatedly attracted similar partners:

Yes, their behaviour is their own responsibility... .

BUT we must ask ourselves ... .why do I KEEP ON letting it happen to me?

Until we do this, we are not likely to let ourselves have healthier relationships.

Rare is the case where one adult keeps another physically chained up in the basement. But frequently people tolerate unhealthy relationships that most others would not.

And i'm thinking that we do somehow give each other unconscious cues about what we will, and will not, tolerate.

In my own life i have - outwardly or unspokenly - blamed others for my situation. Whether justified or not, in itself this hasn't got me very far.

I'm now beginning to explore the reasons why i've persisted with my own self-destructive behaviours for most of my life.

Recently I came across the blog of David Allen:

www.davidmallenmd.blogspot.com

For those not already familiar with his work, he is a doctor who has treated many BPD patients and others.

His theories are not shared by all mainstream practitioners, however I find them very interesting with respect to the question about why so many of us make persistently bad life choices.

Basically Dr Allen says that, as infants, we learn that we can placate other family members by doing certain behaviours. We don't consciously learn it - we're far too young - but rather we are conditioned.

Often these behaviours are dysfunctional to us, but perform some role - normally an unacknowledged one - that somehow helps our parent to cope, or gives them an outlet for some unwanted emotion.

Over the course of our childhood, we can get habituated into a 'family role' where we identify, and become identified, with the dysfunctional behaviour.

Dr Allen has named some of these roles, and also borrowed some names from previous psychologists who thought along the same lines.

Some roles are named 'Saviour', 'Avenger', 'Go-between', 'Loser', 'Monster', 'Little Man' etc. You can look them up at the address I gave above.

Several of the roles are scapegoat roles where the child presents troublesome or "sick" behaviour and can then be a focus of blame for the family. This might allow other family members' shortcomings to be overlooked, or justificated.

The child has effectively sacrificed him-or-herself in order to keep the family from imploding (but didn't really get a choice).

The theory is that the dysfunctional role becomes second nature, and we carry it into adulthood where is causes problems in our lives and our adult relationships (where we DO have a choice but have now forgotten).

If this is true, you can imagine that someone habituated to a scapegoat role may become (unconsciously) a target for a pwBPD.

Dr Allen even said, I think, that personality disorders can themselves stem from the sufferer having had a dysfunctional family role.

As i mentioned, these theories are not endorsed by everyone, but when I read about them I personally got a lightbulb moment.

I'm still not sure what, if any, family role I was given. I do recall feeling some unspoken pressures as a child, and believe that certain lessons of upbringing were somehow withheld from me.

It's something I'll be considering further, and I recommend Dr Allen's interesting work to anyone who feels themselves to be trapped or obligated in a personal situation.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest