Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 01:34:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New here and wanted to introduce myself  (Read 394 times)
thecrusader

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Serious Dating

« on: March 10, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »

Hello BPD Family - I'm a new member and I wanted to introduce myself.  I am a guy in a long distance relationship with a woman.  She comes to stay with me about once every 10 days for 5 days at a time.  We met through work. 

We had a rocky start in about November 2018.  I met her on a business trip.  We had immediate chemistry and great fun together, though nothing sexual happened.  She lives about 400 miles away, so I didn't think anything could come of it.  I was actively enjoying the dating scene and bleeding into 2019 she was very persistent and flirty with emailing.  I saw her again in February of 2019 and the intensity grew substantially but I was dating someone else at the time.  Her emailing grew more intense, emotional and romantic.  I admit I felt it, too.  The girl I was dating was not significant, but I didn't want to cheat, so I told my BPD pen pal we need to back off.

Fast forward to January 2020... I had broken up with my ex several months earlier and I wanted to give the long distance thing a try so I contacted BPD.  To put it mildly 2020 was massive roller coaster ride of the most intensely beautiful love affair I have ever known and the most devastatingly hurtful and painful fighting I have ever been involved with.

I regularly see a traditional therapist (at this point about twice a year to check in) and I have a spiritual coach I see about once every other month.  Both of them during 2020 told me it sounds like she has BPD.  In November of last year I finally read my first BPD book and I have read two others since then.  They have actually helped me deal much better, but there is a repeating pattern that after every time she's here and we are on a very high high, she goes home and within a day or two she unloads on me.  I call it her being in "The Zone."  Usually, she will be with some friends who will pick at an old "scab" and she will find a way to associate it with me - even if it has nothing to do with me - and she will viciously attack me.   

Of course, I could go into a million details, but I'll stop here for now.  She definitely has about 7-8 of the BPD symptoms from these books and I know she has it at least to some degree - she is "unconventional" though she realizes she has serious psychological issues from her childhood and she did just start seeing a therapist, but haven't come to BPD yet.  She also does read some books to help herself and I have to give her credit that she really does try to get a handle on her anger and she seems to have made some progress (for example, after our last blow-up fight, she called the next morning and said "I'm sorry."  This was HUGE for her).

Anyway, I really do love her, but of course love isn't always enough.  I have debated many times (and so has she of course) ending the relationship.  It probably sounds cliche'd but she does have such a loving heart and tries so hard when she's not in The Zone.  So...

Just joining here and looking to gain some support and insight and hopefully provide some as well. 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 01:15:43 AM »

make no mistake: bpd or not, the long distance is definitely a factor, as is your previous hesitance.

Excerpt
Of course, I could go into a million details, but I'll stop here for now

dont. i would, respectfully, encourage you to share much more. the nature of your relationship online vs in person is vital.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest