Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 01:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I SET ok? FF trying to get better at texting  (Read 918 times)
Grey Kitty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »

My takeaways are that I will continue to try an engage via text... .BUT...

What is the topic or issue?  Once there is deviation I need to take a breath and decided to ignore or attempt a redirect.

Do I see a resentment or an "opinion" on the Bible or religious views?  FF pulls ejection handle

I think you remember the question I've asked myself and suggested you ask yourself: "What possible good can come of this?"

Here's my take about texting with somebody who is prone to emotional overreactions and games (i.e. you with your wife):

Texting about simple logistical matters is reasonable, safe, and effective. (dog food, where a key is, what time somebody will be home for a meal, where kids need to be picked up.)

Texting cuts all the non-verbal cues out. Whether you are being validating or invalidating is kinda hard to figure out from there, and if your wife is LOOKING for one she'll find it there.

In person, when you are sincere and caring, that shows through, and she notices.

In person, she gives you all kinds of non-verbal cues about her mental/emotional state as well.

I suggest you avoid loaded topics -- relationship issues, theological debates (which your wife seems to use as a way of dealing with relationship issues), serious questions about child raising, or issues about what her FOO is doing, etc.

Save them for in person, or if it won't wait, talk voice on the phone.

Can you think of any instance where that went WELL by text message?
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 12:43:07 PM »

ignore everthing in bold and send a text like this " thank you for giving me the key and I hope you have a nice day, love you!"

IMHO that is putting the Bible in practice without even mentioning the Bible or God. Yes and ignoring parts of the text have to do with swallowing our pride.

I'm totally with you byfaith, on this. I have a strategy I use called "happy obliviousness" when my husband tries to bait me into an argument like this text exchange--at least I try to use this if I can catch on early enough.

It's quite believable from me because I'm a "thinker" rather than a "feeler" so he's not surprised when I miss the cues that he's angry or wants to pick a fight.

So I just address the issue (key, dog food) and if need be, "Yes, Dear" any other comments that come up until I can swiftly disengage. That way I keep my happy mood and don't get led down the rabbit hole.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
empath

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »

Excerpt
So, she realizes that she was a s$$ about the key... and wants to gain moral high ground. 

She changed her mind and 'repented' of her hard stance and left the key for you.

Sounds like a positive thing to me.

Fian

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »

She might try it but it takes two to play.

What is the topic or issue?  Once there is deviation I need to take a breath and decided to ignore or attempt a redirect.

Do I see a resentment or an "opinion" on the Bible or religious views?  FF pulls ejection handle

Always remembering it takes two to engage in dysfunctional behavior.

FF

In this case, it started with her initial series of text.  Not responding at all might have been the best option:

ff wife: Did you see that I left our last remaining house key mine on the stair-rail? 7:46 AM

ff wife: Please make any copies you need and give that back to me tonight 7:46 AM

ff wife: I did not appreciate being asked for the only key we have this morning and then when I did not want to give it to you being told that I had to stop and make copies today 7:46 AM

ff wife: Yet when I asked you if you would give the key back to me this evening you said you would do the best you can 7:47 AM

ff wife: We worked out our schedule last night and I do not appreciate no notice for stopping and getting something new... done 7:48 AM

ff wife: Hope you have a good day and are able to get some things done today 7:48 AM
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 06:25:38 PM »

Hi FF.   

Is it me seeing things or is there a pattern of these conversations occurring in the morning when things are usually hectic and chaos reigns especially with a herd of kids to deal with?  I do not believe that timing is the whole issue, but it seems to me like it does not help the situation.   Certainly it will only add to the frustration and resentment your wife feels about being the 'sole worker' in the house. 

Am I way off base here?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest